Tackle Help: Cargill on the Tay?

chriswjx

Reaction score
Hi folks,

So I've now booked myself and the missus onto Cargill on the Tay at the end of April, but am now faced with a tackle dilemma...

I just managed to start into salmon fishing right at the end of Tweed's season. I managed to pick up a 12'9" Shakey skagit and a 14' spey as a used bargain, both are rated 9/10 on the tube, and cast the same heads fairly consistently between them.

Now the dilemma, Cargill have advised that they recommend 14 or 15' rods, but equally say that their pools don't require big 30yd casts.

So the dilemma is now, should I rent a rod from the local tackle shop or would I be alright with using the skagit setup, and let my partner take the 14'? (Ghillies have offered to teach her how to cast in the morning :D)

The other thought I've had is, that whilst I've not heard back as to how much rod rental will be, if its around £25, that's about half to a third of what I could pick up another used 14' shakey. So if it is better to rent, I might look to just pick up another 14 footer thinking ahead 2 or 3 more trips down the line...

I'm due to call Tom Brown at some point for advice, but thought to just ask here as well. Any thoughts, ideas? Am I overthinking myself here? Being an idiot?

Cheers
Chris

flytay

Reaction score
Chris,

The rods you have got would be ok on Cargill and you do not need to rent or buy anything.

Of course, you can never have enough rods and I would not want to put you off buying another one!

I'm also fishing Cargill in late April and I'm already excited about the prospects.

Steve

Rennie

Reaction score
Chris, indeed you'll be ok with what you have, but if you're owt like me, the fact that things aren't bob on may not sit well and it'll rankle and spoil your days on the water,Were I you, I'd buy another, esp. 2nd hand they're cheap enough and for special days, its better to do it right.Anyhow, it's not like we're talking buying a pair of Sage rods for the day is it!.
If you've more days in the offing, perhaps it'll be wise move- and you'll have a spare then for back up should you need it, or even a 3rd rod assembled for a differing technique!.
Best of luck with your day, very very envious!, Pedro.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Cheers chaps!

I think I'll try and hunt down a 13'9" scandi version just to complete my set 😅 😜

When abouts are you fishing Steve? We're on the 30th, so might see you haha

Chris