T-tip length.

Piker20

Reaction score
Hi folks. Can anyone advise what difference a 10ft tip will make compared to a 15ft one when it comes to casting? I'm aware the anchor has more potential to rip with the shorter tip. My rod is 14ft if that helps.
Current kit is three 15ft tips but several shops are selling 10ft tips and I'm looking to buy a t8 or t7 tip and maybe another spare t10.

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
Hi folks. Can anyone advise what difference a 10ft tip will make compared to a 15ft one when it comes to casting? I'm aware the anchor has more potential to rip with the shorter tip. My rod is 14ft if that helps.
Current kit is three 15ft tips but several shops are selling 10ft tips and I'm looking to buy a t8 or t7 tip and maybe another spare t10.

Hi Piker
I would advise a minimum rod to line(incl tip)ratio 2.75 x for skagit set up (14x2.75 =38.5)
If your skagit is 25ft(check length )your tip needs to be at least 13.5ft or you risk anchor slippage,
You can buy 20ft lengths and cut to size,

fishpond

Reaction score
Better to change density of t tip rather than length to alter depth or make your own version of mow tips as per thread on here. If you look on eBay for airflo custom cut tips they are selling various t sizes in 30' length for £7.99 just cut and add loops can't go wrong with that at tthat price?
Richard

Last edited:

Piker20

Reaction score
Better to change density of t tip rather than length to alter depth or make your own version of mow tips as per thread on here. If you look on eBay for airflo custom cut tips they are selling various t sizes in 30' length for £7.99 just cut and add loops can't go wrong with that at tthat price?
Richard

Any link to the ebay ? Ah found it. With postage it's £16 and won't get two 15' from it once I've looped it. Might look at mist pool who do it by the meter quite cheap.

Last edited:

bassfly

Reaction score
Any link to the ebay ? Ah found it. With postage it's £16 and won't get two 15' from it once I've looped it. Might look at mist pool who do it by the meter quite cheap.
The difference in the length would depend on what type of loop you made. A welded loop would reduce the length by approx 8" and would make no difference to the weight as the loop is made by folding the T material and not cutting any more from the length of the tip.
The weight can be worked out by multiplying the length by the weight per foot.
E.g. A length of 30 ft weighing 600 grains = 20 grains per ft or T20. So 15ft would be 300 grains.
If you don't want to loose any length fit braided loops and nail knot them as a back up.

inco

Reaction score
Look at this on eBay Airflo Custom Cut Tips 30’ Unlooped. | eBay

Think it was this one - £2 postage and if you use braided loops on one end then should get 2x15'

There is no need to use braided loops, this T stuff can be easily welded as long as you keep the temperature low.
I weld T stuff to a piece of sinking fly line when making tips as they turn over better, a bit like 3D lines.
Here is a link.
Making a Set of Skagit Tips - Hooked4life
Suggest you also view the other video's on welding on hooked4life site.

Last edited:

Piker20

Reaction score
There is no need to use braided loops, this T stuff can be easily welded as long as you keep the temperature low.
I weld T stuff to a piece of sinking fly line when making tips as they turn over better, a bit like 3D lines.
Here is a link.
Making a Set of Skagit Tips - Hooked4life

Great link Inco. I already weld loops in my flylines so happy to try this. I have some cheap sinking DT lines I make salt heads from which would give a Di7 to tTip head.

What sinkrates have you found work best together?

minitube

Reaction score

I know that Travis Johnson, the American competition caster and full time Steelhead Guide, does not use a 15ft tip length for his fishing, he custom cuts his tips back to around 10 to 12ft to make casting a little easier or more fluent.

I would also presume that whatever length you start using regularly your technique will become fine tuned to suit.

Last edited:

bros

Reaction score
I know that Travis Johnson, the American competition caster and full time Steelhead Guide, does not use a 15ft tip length for his fishing, he custom cuts his tips back to around 10 to 12ft to make casting a little easier or more fluent.

I would also presume that whatever length you start using regularly your technique will become fine tuned to suit.

Totally agree here, I use 10' 12' & 15' t tips on my 14' rod, no bother whatsoever:)
Cheers