System 2

Sash

Reaction score
Cracking reels, especially the Mk1 version that you have got.
I just checked one of mine: to switch over from LH to RH you have to unscrew the two drag screws, lift the cog/brake disc unit off the spindle, turn it over and re-assemble.
My reel has RH (and so, presumably, LH on the other side!) stamped on the brake disc unit so you can see how it is set up.
Note that the clicker is just that, and does not change; its not part of the drag unit in any way

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
The brake blocks come loose and fall out. I replaced the ones on mine with leather and it makes the drag even better. I just chopped the end off the leather sling on my sharpes net and cut the leather to size. I then glued it on with gorrilla glue and theyve stayed on for years with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sash

Reaction score
The way to check which hand it is set up for is to tighten the drag fully, and then (attempt to) wind: it shoud wind in freely, and be very hard to wind the other way.

zebraness

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could get this reel serviced.
Picked up one recently but don't think it's right, never had one before so I'm not sure what it even should run like, is it even set up for lhw.
Thanks in advance
I’ve had several - after first seeing one as a prototype >30 years ago and thinking - I really want one of those
I blew most of my weeks ghillying wages on one- that’s still in the collection
Added another couple - dependable work horses , ahead of their time back in the day - should run smooth as butter and minimal service.
Z

pellinore

Reaction score
I've not had to spend money on reels for years because of these beauts.
A 12/13 will stop anything Norway or Russia will throw at you. Once you put on backing they are large arbor.
The drag knob is the only problem-very loose when light and can be turned by a sleeve if not careful.