System 2 reels

fishmantogo

Reaction score
Dose anyone fish with system 2 reels anymore. I've been on eBay trying to sell some but no one interested.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I use one for trout. Great reels with a nice smooth drag.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

KChrome

Reaction score
Dose anyone fish with system 2 reels anymore. I've been on eBay trying to sell some but no one interested.
Sadly they do not go for much at all, despite being what I would consider to be a very capable, robust and reliable fly reel which punches well above it's weight. I have personally landed Salmon on the 10-11 version up to the high 2Olb mark and believe they are a fantastic choice for a beginner?
I still have mine despite having paid some silly money for some of the finest reels out there since!

KChrome

Rrrr

Reaction score
Sadly they do not go for much at all, despite being what I would consider to be a very capable, robust and reliable fly reel which punches well above it's weight. I have personally landed Salmon on the 10-11 version up to the high 2Olb mark and believe they are a fantastic choice for a beginner?
I still have mine despite having paid some silly money for some of the finest reels out there since!

KChrome
Ive noticed they dont seem to go for much. On the other hand people seem to pay alot for batterd old hardy marquis on ebay when the system 2 is a better reel.

Dunbar

Reaction score
I had an 8/9 unvented one in mint condition - wish I hadn’t sold it. Great reel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I have a collection of them sold a few a while back but as you say don’t make much money now I’m just hanging on to mine rather than take silly money
Fantastic well made bomb proof reels the 8/9 would be perfect for a switch rod in my opinion

Last edited:

mows

Reaction score
I do.
Use the 12/13 on the big rod.
Got an excellent on on this forum!
But I have a 9/11 on the switch that I bought on here also and it's perfect.
There is a lot on ebay that ask so way too much!!
The only cheap one on ebay just now, rejected all bids and as such, nobody is interested in biding any more. Me included.
Even though it's a very good price.

Cheers

Mows

neilt

Reaction score
I’ve still got a 12/13, sometimes use it.
Prefer my Young’s 1540.
The system2 has a cork based drag, if I’m wading deep my reels often get a good soaking. And if the cork gets soaked it expands and the drag stops working.
The 1540’s are just click ratchet & exposed rims, prefer them.
System2’s - good reels but drags not for me.

Last edited:

quareecaster

Reaction score
cracking reels, as said above bomb proof ,
I have 2 reels in 12/13 & 2 in the 8/9 ,,
which I fish with regularly ,,

meyre

Reaction score
Yes agree with all . Excellent reels . Very little can go wrong . Used 6/7 for seatrout, 8/9 for bass and bones, ditto 10/11 and for dredging and salmon the 12/13. Never had a problem with the drag when wet . Is it any more cork than Abel's ? Have friends who use them for Tarpon and snook…..bling they are not. Very dependable , very simple, very strong. You will not fret if you chip them nor if your baggage disappears.

Rennie

Reaction score
I had two, a 10/11 and a 12/13.Much asNeilT, mine used to stick when they got wet after deep wading.Don’t think they’re a cork drag!, it’s a mechanical disc brake that works by a ratchet system like some non hydraulic motorcycle brake systems and if I remember rightly utilises Ferodo pads. When mine got sticky,a quick dismantle, de-grease and a rub of the pad with emery cloth and they were ok again.Thing is unlike a largely self cleaning vehicle disc brake, they never run quick enough to self clean. Disc brakes in general are more efficient at high speeds!.
Good reels in their day though!.
Pedro.

Last edited:

heather point

Reaction score
They are still good reels, not just in their day.
I have a few which I still use and they will handle any salmon which has ever swum in a British river.
Their sister reels, the Leeda Magnum Disc, which are sometimes branded as B.F.R., are also top class but neither are probably bling enough for the tackle tarts.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Did bfr ever make a sub par reel ? The rimflys are still kicking about in good numbers as are alot of their other reels.

heather point

Reaction score
Just looked at Clydebuilt's System 2 in the classifieds and that is the buy of the century.

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Just looked at Clydebuilt's System 2 in the classifieds and that is the buy of the century.
I'm surprised the Leeda Magnum 200 or the Cascapedia have not been snapped up already Heather point, maybe wrong time of year to be selling, although I thought they are fairly priced.
The 200d reels are great machines, very underrated, maybe not as fashionable as the Big names but I bet there has been an awful lot of salmon landed in them.over the years!

Rrrr

Reaction score
Just noticed the leeda magnum and thats a bargain with the spools, ive allready got one sitting there as a backup reel or i would have snapped it up. Perfect reel for someone starting out.

ACW

Reaction score
ACW is still using his ,bought in 78 for Falkuses penultimate spey casting course ,along with a 15 ft B&W expert.
The expert was done in by the mad chef on the Brora ,but that was down to Columbian marching powder .
the system2 is still going strong ,however I am looking for a silver9 chrome reeel foot for one as it doesnt fit modern rods with the black foot!

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
The expert was done in by the mad chef on the Brora ,but that was down to Columbian marching powder .
You can't just leave that one hanging, sound like a good story in there ACW!!!:lol: