switch rods

DontKnowJack

Reaction score
hi there
am looking for some adviced, thinking of buying a switch rod for summer fishing with shooting heads i have no experience with switch rods and wouldnt know what brand or model to go for so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Grilse Boy

Reaction score
Try before you buy

If you have never tried one i suggest you go to your local tackle dealer and ask if you can try a demo model to see if it to your liking or you could waste your money till you find what your looking for ..

westie4566

Reaction score
Fished a Batson Rainshadow switch all last season, 10'8" 8wt, perfect for smaller waters where backcast room is limited.

I love mine, but as said, you should really try one out first.

Springer

Reaction score
Fished a Batson Rainshadow switch all last season, 10'8" 8wt, perfect for smaller waters where backcast room is limited.

I love mine, but as said, you should really try one out first.

What lines did you use Westie?

pond.olive

Reaction score
THe American Spey Pages forum http://speypages.com/speyclave/ carries much on switch rods and the lines to use. It is the choice of line that appears to be causing the most difficulties and experimentation seems the way to go. It may be best to buy rod and recomended line from the same source.

Switch rod actions vary as do spey rods. I like a fast rod and chose a Redington (7/8 11'3") for that reason. The manufacturer suggests Rio AFS 6/7 and 7/8 to suit the rod, the heavier one if you are mostly spey-casting with it.

Some rods eg Rainshadow, Sage Z-Axis and TCX are available as blanks or kits, the Rainshadow being especially economical if you have the skills to build one up. Have a look here: http://www.batsonenterprises.com/
Also do a search on eBay where you will find several kits offered from the U.S.

There is very little usage of switch rods over here as yet, but I believe there is a growing interest.

loughman

Reaction score
A topic close to my heart!
Ive decided to buy an Outbound T-11 this way I know by cutting back each equal increment I will end up with a grain window to suit me with this particular type of line which I wanted anyway.From there Ive got a stake in the sand & can look at other line types/adjust weights etc.
It seems to be a common thread that its trial & error albeit a very expensive one to get the desired line matches for these rods.My previous switch proved a bit easier to match a line too albeit some dubious advice received;) in as much as I only wanted the rod for a single purpose/type of fishing.
To back up pond.olives comment on #6/7 lines & #7/8 lines I read somewhere to go with a slightly lesser line weight when overhead casting with switchers then go heavier when speying.I suppose this has something to do with casting mechanics but I aint going there:eek:

L/man

westie4566

Reaction score
What lines did you use Westie?

Hi Alan

Sorry just noticed this question!

Early part of the season was using 525gr Rio Skagit Short (22') Head and for floating line work the rest of the season used a shooting head I cut and spliced from a DT10 line which was OK.

Have just taken delivery of a Beulah Elixir Switch line which I'm looking firward to trying out this coming season.

scotty

Reaction score
im thinking of getting a beulah 10 foot 6inch #4-5, any opinions on what line, or just generaly on the rod.....

scott.

scotty

Reaction score
thanks leangler,next question......will my #4 reel do for this rod, or do you think i will need a larger reel for it:),

scott

idbflytye

Reaction score
#4 reel

Sorry Scotty, you will be looking for a new reel. I have that rod, although I have not used it much yet. The rod weighs about 6 ounces and will need something fairy chunky to balance it.
I have only used a 7/8 reel on it so far and that seems fine. Take advice from the makers as to line choice. Mine spey casts #7 40 plus intermediates quite nicely.
I still need to play about a lot with it tho. In the better weather I'll be trying it with all the lines I already have, before spending money on anything new and untried.
Line choice for some of these rods seem like a real minefield, and a lot depends on what you are using it for. Does'nt seem to be one line that covers all. I do doubt that a #4 dt or wf will do tho.
Let us know how you get on.
Cheers
Idbflytye

westie4566

Reaction score
Hi guys

The Beulah switch and spey lines are worth a look. I recently invested in the 35'spey version at 435grains for my 8wt switch. Only had one play with it so far and really like how it handles - but then I'm no great caster!!

I saw it in action, on grass, in the hands of our very own Springer this past Wed. afternoon, and he ceratinly was getting a decent distance our of it!!:D

Westie

scotty

Reaction score
i was looking to use it on small rivers, close in stuff, but its pretty much hook and hold kind of fishing, i dont need distance, think i might just continue with the single hander where i am, :cool: i have wasted enough money on rods and lines over the years:rolleyes::)

scott

rrw35

Reaction score
Scotty,

Get a Rio Outbound Short for the rod you are using. Great distance with limited backcast and can put out poly tips and big flies.;)

westie4566

Reaction score
Hi Scotty

Thats what I use my switch for - the key differences between a switch and a single hander are ease of casting and the ability to thow heavy flies!

I also persevered with a single hander in small/tight conditions for many years and sometimes struggled in early/late season when i wanted to fish something a bit bigger and heaveir.

The switch has transformed this for me. During the summer with floating lines I can fish from first to last light without even knowing I've been casting all day. When it comes to chucking something a bit heavier - then great too!!

Have a go with one of you can- think you'll be impressed!

idbflytye

Reaction score
4/5 switch

Scotty, I dont think the Belauh 4/5 is a rod for hook and hold. I had a few fish with it in November before the snow. The places where the fish were hooked were very restricted, with no easy place to land a fish. The rod is so soft and forgiving that none of the fish I hooked came off but the time taken to beat a fish was a bit longer than I would expect from using my usual 10ft#6/7. If there had been an easy place to land a fish or a netsman I would expect the time to land a fish to be pretty similar with either rod. But hook and hold?? I would suggest a stiffer action switch and a higher line rating.
I also have an 11ft#6 st Croix, which I have matched with the #7 forty plus for overhead and short spey casting. For purely spey casting I have it matched with 5/6 afs outbound. It is a very different rod from the Beluah.
That said , I like my 4/5 and will use it .
You really should do your best to try before you buy. If you happen to live local to me you are welcome to have a cast sometime.

Good luck.
Idbflytye

LeAngler

Reaction score
Lisburn/Hearts on the banks of the River Mourne
http://www.beulahflyrods.com/products/switchrods/classic/switchrods4-5wt.php
Try above for recommended line weights. I have a beulah 7/8# and its rated for 24 grams and the rio 6/7# weighs in at 25 grams so thats line i will be going for. I have tried my rio 7/8# afs which weighs in at 30 grams and is way to heavy for the rod, Also snowbee 7/8# scandi lines weigh in at ex 24 grams. I think more rod companys should also show line weights in grams or grains as well as 7/8# etc etc.