switch rods for pike

BalticFlyFisher

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply BalticFlyFisher. Find it a little strange that you should anchor cast when there is room behind for overhead cast, especially in the sea. I use my switch rod in the sea/surf for bass and the thought of trying to create an anchor in the surf/swell and compete with wind would be beyond me. Much prefer to strip back the line and a couple of false casts to get the head out then whooosh. Still...each to their own and you are probably a far better Spey/anchor caster than I could ever hope to be.
Spruce - yes it is strange and you are right it is probably much easier to cast 2hand overhead, but I personally don't use a switch or DH to cast overhead (only if I loose synch whilst fishing at night) with; I really enjoy spey casting with switches, DH and 1handers but if I want to cast overhead then I use a 1hander not a switch or 2hander.

Nightfisher

Reaction score
I switched to double handers for pike a few years ago, currently a 13ft 9/10 and Skagit head. It is just so much easier to cast any size of fly any distance.

My former 10ft Sparton Imperator and the 12 and 13 lines is now only used for saltwater fishing. It was the best I had tried - better even that the Hardy Ad Swier Pike rod - but I'd never go back.

I'll add that my pike fishing is on lochs and the ability to cast a long way with big flies can be important. 8 weights and 3 or 4 inch flies is a nice way to fish but not always the most successful for my fishing.

snap t

Reaction score
I did

Have you tried a switch rod for pike?
I did, and stopped using it when a massive pike opened his mouth close to landing and the fly just dropped out. I had stripped / strike and convinced that I set the hook. Barbless of course ( Ad Swier) could be the rod, I used the guideline 7/8. Never had a problem with the smaller pike. However...although in fairness maybe this could have happened with any rod

gotoneon

Reaction score
Cannae imagine launchin a flee intae the waatur tae catch a fish wi a Selik strip oan?!?!?!?
Waste of time that. . . . . . . . . .fit only for the anals of a Matt hayes DVD!!!!:D:D:D:D:D;);););)

OOppssss seriously, I also dont see the need for massive rods. Sure many a fisher has caught big pike on likes of The Lake and killed. . . . ooppsss sorry got them to the boat just fine.
I found pike at any time I've caught them to be ok for the first run or two then a bit of tail walking but nae real guts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ho ho. . . . . . .that'l get all you pike loveers gaun' . . . . . . . . :D:D:D:D:D:D