switch rods for pike

Ayrgunn

Reaction score
I fish for pike on the fly but find using a single handed 9ft ,10wt wi huge flee can be knackering after a mng.Im interested to know if anyone who fly fishes for pike(im presuming someone might) has tried a switch rod with a skagit head? And also if anyone knows of 10wt switch rods? thanks!

Ciarán

Reaction score
I never understood the use of really heavy rods for pike. The rod I use the most is a 10 foot ror a seven. I go to an eight in deepest winter.

It depends on what your throwing. If you need a ten rod then I would suggest your budgie is too heavy. Scale down on the lure. There's a myth that only big lures catch big pike. Scale down. You'll catch as many fish and save your back

Last edited:

rrw35

Reaction score
A 9ft 8 weight would exert less leverage on your wrist.

I find 10ft + single handers hard work now after a long day.

Switch rods make it a bit easier if the wrist starts to tire.

I cant see why you wouldnt use a 9ft single hander for piking.

rrw35

Reaction score
I never understood the use of really heavy rods for pike. The rod I use the most is a 10 foot ror a seven. I go to an eight in deepest winter.

It depends on what your throwing. If you need a ten rod then I would suggest your budgie is too heavy. Scale down on the lure. There's a myth that only big lures catch bog pike. Scale down. You'll catch as many fish and save your back
You Pike fish?? That's soooooooooooooo low rent....;):D:D:D

You'll be buying a prawn rod and tracksuit next.:D

spruce

Reaction score
I use a sage TCX 119 #8 for pike, amongst other things, including salmon, and I have to say I find it ideal. Far easier to throw out larger flies and to help combat any detrimental winds. Not saying I can cast much further than my 9' #9 single handers but far more easier and less tiring. If anything the fight is enhanced after hooking a pike, the single handers are a bit "poker" like compared to the longer two handed switch rod. I use #10 Rio Outbounds on it, the longer headed version, not the short, and it suits the rod just fine. Much pefer it than the single hander and use it almost exclusively now.

rrw35

Reaction score
Nice custom build there Spruce. Very nice.:cool:

Outbounds are great lines. I used the Outbound Short for a lot of single handed salmon fishing. Great with a poly leader on.

spruce

Reaction score
Nice custom build there Spruce. Very nice.:cool:

Outbounds are great lines. I used the Outbound Short for a lot of single handed salmon fishing. Great with a poly leader on.
Thanks...but the credit goes to Alan aka Springer, he built it for me and did a fantastic job!

BalticFlyFisher

Reaction score
I have used an ECHO #8 (roughly equivalent to a #10 1hand) SR switch for the best part of 3 years fishing for Pike in the Baltic.

When Tim Rajeff first introduced his series of switch rods, skagit switch heads were not available so I cut a skagit compact down to size - roughly 500grain and approx 5m max 5.5m long. Since the introduction of the skagit switches last year I have been using a 510grain skagit switch head, normally with an AirFlo Predator Poly leader up front. To get the flies out I use a snap c, or perry poke, and more recently a skagit double.

The pike flies I use were designed by a Danish Fly-Tier called Morten Valeur, he uses flashabou (if you are not familiar with his flies have a look here) most of them are between 15cm - 20cm in length.

It took me some time to dial into chucking large pike flies on a set up like this - the biggest problem was getting the large flies to come up out of the water. The breakthro' came when I read a number of threads on Spey Pages regarding casting LARGE heavy intruders with lightweight spey rods which pointed me in the direction of short heavy (self cut) skagit heads. Next problem was the fly sinking & getting caught on weed during the anchor-set phase. Keep it moving was the answer, recently I've changed to the skagit double, which doesnt allow the tip/fly to sink so far. I also use a flexi-stripper to store the running line.

Fishing for Pike with a switch is by no means perfect and a #9 or #10 1hand is probably better BUT if like me you are a DH junky then its worth the effort. Since switching ('scuse the pun) to a switch rod set up for Pike I have caught loads of Pike up to just under 10Kg and nowadays only revert to a 1hander if I need to field trial some new rods.

Have fun.

Last edited:

spruce

Reaction score
I have used an ECHO #8 (roughly equivalent to a #10 1hand) SR switch for the best part of 3 years fishing for Pike in the Baltic.

When Tim Rajeff first introduced his series of switch rods, skagit switch heads were not available so I cut a skagit compact down to size - roughly 500grain and approx 5m max 5.5m long. Since the introduction of the skagit switches last year I have been using a 510grain skagit switch head, normally with an AirFlo Predator Poly leader up front. To get the flies out I use a snap c, or perry poke, and more recently a skagit double.

The pike flies I use were designed by a Danish Fly-Tier called Morten Valeur, he uses flashabou (if you are not familiar with his flies have a look here) most of them are between 15cm - 20cm in length.

It took me some time to dial into chucking large pike flies on a set up like this - the biggest problem was getting the large flies to come up out of the water. The breakthro' came when I read a number of threads on Spey Pages regarding casting LARGE heavy intruders with lightweight spey rods which pointed me in the direction of short heavy (self cut) skagit heads. Next problem was the fly sinking & getting caught on weed during the anchor-set phase. Keep it moving was the answer, recently I've changed to the skagit double, which doesnt allow the tip/fly to sink so far. I also use a flexi-stripper to store the running line.

Fishing for Pike with a switch is by no means perfect and a #9 or #10 1hand is probably better BUT if like me you are a DH junky then its worth the effort. Since switching ('scuse the pun) to a switch rod set up for Pike I have caught loads of Pike up to just under 10Kg and nowadays only revert to a 1hander if I need to field trial some new rods.

Have fun.
BalticFlyFisher, do you fish waters where the use of a double handed overhead cast is prohibited by obstructions behind you or do you simply prefer to use an anchor cast?

Last edited:

BalticFlyFisher

Reaction score
Spruce, where I normally fish for Pike, in the sea!!, there are no trees and obstructions in the back cast area are no issue at all. I just prefer to cast u-hand/modern spey etc, and the head weight I use is based on that.

If I were to cast 2hand overhead with the rod above (ECHO SR #8) then I would drop the head weight by approx 60grains/4grams, perhaps even a tad more.

If you intend to cast 2hand o-head then getting the fly out of the water should not present any problems. I sometimes do it myself when night fishing for cod :eek: and there is a good swell on (not very often in the Baltic) making it difficult to set the anchor.

Last edited:

spruce

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply BalticFlyFisher. Find it a little strange that you should anchor cast when there is room behind for overhead cast, especially in the sea. I use my switch rod in the sea/surf for bass and the thought of trying to create an anchor in the surf/swell and compete with wind would be beyond me. Much prefer to strip back the line and a couple of false casts to get the head out then whooosh. Still...each to their own and you are probably a far better Spey/anchor caster than I could ever hope to be.

snap t

Reaction score
Switch lack body

Most switch rods lack the body to set a hook in a pike's mouth. Pike have a massive amount of teeth that hold the fly extremely well. You need a rod that can set the hook. 9 ft, #9 fast action doe, she job. Switch rods are too long and do no have the body.

rrw35

Reaction score
Most switch rods lack the body to set a hook in a pike's mouth. Pike have a massive amount of teeth that hold the fly extremely well. You need a rod that can set the hook. 9 ft, #9 fast action doe, she job. Switch rods are too long and do no have the body.
Have you tried a switch rod for pike?

spruce

Reaction score
Codswallop!

BalticFlyFisher

Reaction score
The switch rods I use have more than enough "welly" to set a [barbless (of course) ] hook in a Pikes mouth.

I have caught dozens and dozens of Pike on a switch rod and based on my observations, I have found that whilst using a sub-surface fly for Pike its not really necessary to do much more than tightening the line and "leaning back" into the fish to hook it. However fishing with surface flies (e.g gurglers) certainly does require an active strike. I am convinced that the Pike sometimes miss surface flies; a classical "rod" strike moves the fly a few feet and more than likeley out of the taking range, a strip strike moves it just a few cm's and the fish will probably have another go.

Summing up if you are concerned that a switch rod might not have enough back-bone to set a hook in a Pikes mouth I suggest you re-program your muscle memory and start using a strip strike, which is imho a much better option than a rod strike.