Switch Rod

MikeCC

Reaction score
Was in GAC today and had a look at the Airflo Switch rod. Ive never considered a 'switch rod' per se but it looks like fun. The airflo seems very reasonably priced, any thoughts on the rod from anyone using one?

Neil W

Reaction score
I have tried the Airflo Switch 8 wt and have the 6 wt. Both excellent rods but more small spey rods than single handed rods. I love these kind of switch rods for salmon. Buy one!

reddie

Reaction score
Bought one this season, the 8 weight. Absolute beauty of a rod, highly recommend it and it has no problem playing fish either! Match it with the Rio ssvt and your laughing

Neil W

Reaction score
The 8 wt also goes well with the AFS 7/8 with a 10ft polyleader and also a 510 Airflo skagit switch if you need to throw sink tips and big flies. The 8wt Rio SSVT is also great as reddie said

boner

Reaction score
These rods are available from various outlets with a free Forty Plus line.
Would that make a good match,since the Forty Plus is basically a trout line?
B

broontroot52

Reaction score
Bought the #7 last year from Anglng Active and matched it with the Wulff Ambush short head line from Mike at AM Angling. Casts a treat the 40 plus line I use on my Sharpes #7 trout rod also casts great.:cool:

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
Bought the #7 last year from Anglng Active and matched it with the Wulff Ambush short head line from Mike at AM Angling. Casts a treat the 40 plus line I use on my Sharpes #7 trout rod also casts great.:cool:

broontroot52 what rating wulff ambush line do you match too the no7 rated rod. thanks in advance.

tone-s

Reaction score
None of those rods will catch fish. You need the Loop logo just above the handle, didn't you realise?

I'll get my coat...:eek:

broontroot52

Reaction score
broontroot52 what rating wulff ambush line do you match too the no7 rated rod. thanks in advance.

Hi, I have the #7 266 grns this was the line that Mike of AM Angling suggested, although some say that the rod should be used with a line twice the rating. I find that the line that I have suits my needs and is no trouble with either Spey or overhead casting a couple of my mates have cast this outfit and have been very satisfied with the results.:cool:

JSO

Reaction score
Hi, I have the #7 266 grns this was the line that Mike of AM Angling suggested, although some say that the rod should be used with a line twice the rating. I find that the line that I have suits my needs and is no trouble with either Spey or overhead casting a couple of my mates have cast this outfit and have been very satisfied with the results.:cool:

I use this same set up and I am very happy with it. Also got the "free" forty plus extreme line with the rod, gave it away, that's how well I thought it suited the rod.

beanieboy

Reaction score
For spey casting I'd recommend a Wulff #10 [400g]...266g is, imo, much too light.

Neil W

Reaction score
For spey casting I'd recommend a Wulff #10 [400g]...266g is, imo, much too light.

Generally for spey casting the Wulff Ambush is recommended to go up 2 to 3 line weights on a switch/spey rod. So a 10 on a 7 wt should be a good fit. I am sure you could go up to the 11 as well if you like to bend the rod a bit