Swinford Blue Shrimps

TAG190589

Reaction score
Getting into tying Irish shrimp flies recently, although I fish mainly Scottish rivers, I'm sure they'll work just fine.

Fairly new to this style of fly so I'm still figuring out proportions and where the hackles should be in relation to tail and each other.

Hook - Kamasan B175
Tag - Oval Silver Tinsel
Tail - Golden Pheasant Breast Feather
Rear Body - Uni Floss Chinese Red
Rib - Oval Silver Tinsel
Centre Hackle - Orange Cock
Front Body - Black Floss
Rib - Oval Silver Tinsel
Wing - Jungle Cock
Front Hackle - Blue Cock
Thread - Uni 8/0 Red

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Not an awful lot wrong with those! 👍

The tails might be slightly long but that's nothing major.

Beautiful shrimps and very well tied.

TAG190589

Reaction score
Not an awful lot wrong with those!

The tails might be slightly long but that's nothing major.

Beautiful shrimps and very well tied.
Thanks for the feedback Jockiescott. In relation to the hook length what's the length I should be aiming for? For the tails?

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Don't know a lot about the style and I've never got round to tying one yet.. but I'd happily fish with them 👍🏻 braw looking fly's TAG 😎🎣

Arnold

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Jockiescott. In relation to the hook length what's the length I should be aiming for? For the tails?

1 to 1 and a half times the hook shank at most.

Ive tied and fished Irish shrimps for as long as I've been tying. I found the longer the tail, I got really aggressive takes but hooking nothing. I assume the fish had taken the tail just.

If you shorten the tail, hopefully more of those takes result in hooking up.

Your tails aren't massively long or anything, they just look a bit longer than I prefer.

I'm definitely not knocking your tying and you have the number of turns of your tails and hackles to perfection. Very easy to over dress Irish shrimps. Like I usually do. 😊

Just a wee tip that will hopefully turn more takes into hooked fish! 🙂

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Hi Woodsy, that's a great help, thanks for taking the time to find the PDF. Muchly appreciated, all the best, Tom

You'll know when you swim the fly - the tail will appear to swell out and the whole will be balanced.
Frodin's tyings have nothing on a well tied Irish Shrimp!
H;)

Jockiescott

Reaction score
You'll know when you swim the fly - the tail will appear to swell out and the whole will be balanced.
Frodin's tyings have nothing on a well tied Irish Shrimp!
H;)
That is the thing with hooks being all different sizes, even within a stated 'size'.

I've just been tying on size 8 daiichi hooks which are more like a size 10. A size 4 trout hook is more like a size 8 salmon hook. Standard shanks, long shanks, etc. Getting into the habit of using your hook as a guide for any tail isn't a bad habit to get into. 🙂

Tail too short, the fly loses that nice pulsing movement that I feel gives the Irish shrimps their pulling power. The fly wants to push down at the head too without the tail acting as a rudder. Too long, you have movement but risk getting takes without hooking up. In stronger flows too, a tail too long clumps together and you lose that nice pulsing motion in the fly.

Last edited: