Swap February 2015

gwelsher

Reaction score
Colin got the swaps going again, many thanks, and has offered to do another one around Easter. If we can get enough signed up I am prepared to run a swap with a finish date maybe towards the end off February.

Ok we have 10 :D:D

Here are the basic rules for any newcomers

You tie 10 flies of your choice of pattern suitable for March, hooks or tubes, and post them to me in a suitable jiffy type envelope. Also enclose a suitable addressed and stamped one for the return. You will receive 1 each of the other participants flies.
Some pictures of your flies would also be great and are really important in keeping interest and momentum in the swap during the month. So your pics no matter how poor would be welcomed.

All flies should be with me by February 20th. That gives you 5 weeks to tie your flies but if we can get them earlier so much the better.

I will PM everybody my address

1 - mc andy - Received
2 - Nobby - Received
3 - Irish Salar - Received
4 - stew1 - Received
5 - Dryfly - Received
6 - garyd - Received
7 - billyfish - Received
8 - Jockiescott - Received
9 - rookie- Received
10 - pete - Received
11 - gwelsher - Received

Last edited:

Irish Salar

Reaction score
I'll be up for this Gary. Having missed Pikers swap I'm getting in early for this one. As for a theme, imagination is not my strong point!!

Dryfly

Reaction score
I've not done a swap before. How many do participants have to tie (the number of participants I guess)? Time is a bit tight for me over the next month or so but if its not too many then I'm in.

As it's for Feb. how about a black and yellow tube variant? Or is that too broad?

gwelsher

Reaction score
It depends how many we get signed up but it will be a minimum of 6 and maximum 10.
No theme has been suggested yet but Black and Yellow is always a Go To for early season.

gwelsher

Reaction score
Nice to see the new boys dryfly, garyd and billyfish joining in and welcome back to Irish Salar.
We have 7 so far, in a couple of days, so this one is certainly going ahead, but there is still space for 3 more. I will close the list for the final numbers on the 15th January and all flies to be with me by the 20th February.

As far as a theme is concerned it is a democratic decision of those who have put their names forward. The theme can then be interpreted however you like, be it on tubes or hooks.
Generally the theme is based around the time of year we are likely to fish the fly after it arrives which gives us lots of different flies to tie throughout the year. But this is not a rule so it is up to to you what you tie.

If nobody else has a suggestion for a theme might I suggest for this one we just all tie flies that we would fish with in March.
If the renewed interested in the Swaps carry on we can the decide the theme each month.

When I first joined the swaps a couple of years ago it was great when the jiffy arrived each month and there was a load of new flies enclosed. You see new patterns and tying styles which you can learn from and also you make friendships around our hobby through it.

Thanks to piker20 (Colin) for getting the swaps going again and hopefully between us we can keep the Swaps going.

With all these different flies we will have a good 2015 season for Salar.

Dryfly your Yellow and Black tubes will be fine so you can start tying as your time is tight, maximum will be 10.

Last edited:

pete

Reaction score
I'll have a crack at this again, could do with some motivation to get back tying some salmon flies again....

gwelsher

Reaction score
You're in mc andy. I will put my set in as a New Year bonus to you all.
So you are all tying 10 flies.
Great to get this response and hope we can keep it going, the swaps are good fun and you get to receive some excellent flies that you maybe wouldn't have thought of tying yourself.

billy fish

Reaction score
New boy

Nice to see the new boys dryfly, garyd and billyfish joining in and welcome back to Irish Salar.
We have 7 so far, in a couple of days, so this one is certainly going ahead, but there is still space for 3 more. I will close the list for the final numbers on the 15th January and all flies to be with me by the 20th February.

As far as a theme is concerned it is a democratic decision of those who have put their names forward. The theme can then be interpreted however you like, be it on tubes or hooks.
Generally the theme is based around the time of year we are likely to fish the fly after it arrives which gives us lots of different flies to tie throughout the year. But this is not a rule so it is up to to you what you tie.

If nobody else has a suggestion for a theme might I suggest for this one we just all tie flies that we would fish with in March.
If the renewed interested in the Swaps carry on we can the decide the theme each month.

When I first joined the swaps a couple of years ago it was great when the jiffy arrived each month and there was a load of new flies enclosed. You see new patterns and tying styles which you can learn from and also you make friendships around our hobby through it.

Thanks to piker20 (Colin) for getting the swaps going again and hopefully between us we can keep the Swaps going.

With all these different flies we will have a good 2015 season for Salar.

Dryfly your Yellow and Black tubes will be fine so you can start tying as your time is tight, maximum will be 10.

Not such a new boy ,more a revitalised returnee with a little bit of spare time at the moment.
Colin.

stew1

Reaction score
Well that did not take too long to fill.

Billyfish, I remember you from a couple of swaps.There was a picture of tubes with blue in them that was brilliant.

So is it just go for whatever then as long as you would fish it in march ?
I feel this would be better with more variety of flies, rather than a batch that are all of the same colours.

Last edited:

gwelsher

Reaction score
Sorry Colin it should have been welcome back.

I have changed the first post with the basic rules added. The closing date is February 20th but try not to leave it until the last minute and be late.

So let's get tying.

stew1

Reaction score
Gary,

So we have 10 entrants and an organiser = 110 flies

What about we all get 10 back of which none are our own.