Swap. Feb 2018

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Badger variant

I don’t use much bucktail these days a except for Willie Gunns and this is not the place to try one of those out given the others on this swap so I had to look for something else.
While all the books show a Foxton's Badger as having a badger wing and a black floss body with a silver tinsel rib and blue hackle any example in the boxes of people who fished on the part of the Slaney where he ghillied in the 1970s are tied with a plain badger wing with a complete blue or yellow hackle tied in (rather than wound round as a hackle) on each side and generally on a plain plastic tube. Others were tied on aluminium slipstream tubes. There are dozens of April and May fish in the book on a Foxton's special.
I have replaced the yellow hackle flash with a yellow bucktail. To be honest it is just like a tube version of the McDermott’s badger which is another great spring fly and which I think I used for another swap.
You guys across the water don’t seem to use too much badger in your flies so hopefully this one may come in useful. Very simple to tie but fishes very nicely in clear water.

badger swap.jpg

Piker20

Reaction score
I don’t use much bucktail these days a except for Willie Gunns and this is not the place to try one of those out given the others on this swap so I had to look for something else.
While all the books show a Foxton's Badger as having a badger wing and a black floss body with a silver tinsel rib and blue hackle any example in the boxes of people who fished on the part of the Slaney where he ghillied in the 1970s are tied with a plain badger wing with a complete blue or yellow hackle tied in (rather than wound round as a hackle) on each side and generally on a plain plastic tube. Others were tied on aluminium slipstream tubes. There are dozens of April and May fish in the book on a Foxton's special.
I have replaced the yellow hackle flash with a yellow bucktail. To be honest it is just like a tube version of the McDermott’s badger which is another great spring fly and which I think I used for another swap.
You guys across the water don’t seem to use too much badger in your flies so hopefully this one may come in useful. Very simple to tie but fishes very nicely in clear water.

View attachment 27089

I like the look of these. That mucky yellow like an alastair.

Slaneybs

Reaction score
I like the look of these. That mucky yellow like an alastair.

Just proves there is nothing new under the sun - I had never heard of the Alastair - just looked it up o n google and from the photos it seems to be mixed yellow and black bucktail.

Piker20

Reaction score
Just proves there is nothing new under the sun - I had never heard of the Alastair - just looked it up o n google and from the photos it seems to be mixed yellow and black bucktail.

It's meant to be the off yellow brown hairs you find at the base of dyed yellow tail. But you'll see all sorts of mixes labelled alastair on the web.

Piker20

Reaction score
Mr Welchers flies have arrived. Terrific set. Looking forward to fishing one on the wick.

Hemmy

Reaction score
Now where did I put that bucktail ?.....
Arnold !!!
:lol::lol::lol:

Piker20

Reaction score
Can you please remember to include stamped return envelopes please.

Piker20

Reaction score
SlaneyS flies made it across the sea. Really good pattern in the flesh. Definitely something I'd tie myself.

Okay guys. Over a week to go and three sets have landed. Two whole weekends of tying time to go if they arrive here on the 14th. Hope everyones coming along fine.

Hemmy

Reaction score
Managed to get started last night....can you please pm your address to me piker20

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
20180205_201435.jpg

I made a start this evening... A dirty olive inspired Shrimp on #6 Patriots... ive not tyed in a while good to get the fingers going again..

Hemmy

Reaction score
Crackers.....lovely shade of green :lol::lol::lol:

billy fish

Reaction score
Fly swap

Thought I would leave the Zelda' s to get on with the swap flies.

Not done much with bucktail since arctic fox came on the scene.
IMG_4149.JPG

Purple is the new black.
Colin

Last edited:

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
very nice Billy.. another great pattern for the swap. I've only just read the whole thread since entering... what a selection ?

Piker20

Reaction score
OK then folks. Entering the last few days before flies hopefully hit a post office. How are you coming along?

Don't forget to look at the March swap. plenty of notice to tie some pearly purply lovelies :fish2:

Hemmy

Reaction score
OK then folks. Entering the last few days before flies hopefully hit a post office. How are you coming along?

Don't forget to look at the March swap. plenty of notice to tie some pearly purply lovelies :fish2:

Slowly getting there......had a very busy week but hoping to have 10 finished and in the post on Monday :nod::nod::nod:

deanevans

Reaction score
Nearly there will post tomorrow piker can you please PM me your address thanks

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk