Swap Catches

McFly

Reaction score
Cheers CC
The fly looks great in peaty water. I like raking about in craft and sewing shops. I recently spotted a pack containing 3 colours of material like angel hair for around £3. Also got a metre of stuff identical to long polar chenille - a sort of pearl/mirage colour. I tried it as an under hackle on a temple dog and it looks incredible in the water. There's no question that a lot of fly tying materials are just "crafting" materials repackaged at inflated prices.

crispin

Banned
Reaction score
As luck would have it I'm currently sitting in my car beside Dublin's RDS exhibition arena which is today hosting the annual Knitting and Sewing Show. If I have the time I may go and have a poke around it.

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
Cheers CC
The fly looks great in peaty water. I like raking about in craft and sewing shops. I recently spotted a pack containing 3 colours of material like angel hair for around £3. Also got a metre of stuff identical to long polar chenille - a sort of pearl/mirage colour. I tried it as an under hackle on a temple dog and it looks incredible in the water. There's no question that a lot of fly tying materials are just "crafting" materials repackaged at inflated prices.
Madeira also do a nice pearly white flat braid for embroidery that shows up as green if you use black tying thread under :) the code for it is 8040 no8 in 20m spools for next to nowt.

Paul

crispin

Banned
Reaction score
A couple of swap-fly catches to report from this week.

I caught a 14lb licer in the north of Scotland on Monday on my February swap zonker.

And yesterday I hooked and played another licer, around 10lbs, on this one of AllyG's from the January swap. Just as the ghillie was about to net the fish it threw the hook (but that was down to me, NOT AllyG's fly :))

BARRA

Reaction score
Crispin,

Great flies....

North of Scotland?

I'm heading up that way in the middle of the week.

Where exactly were you fishing?

Ally G

Reaction score
oh Sorry Crispin,

I'm absolutely gutted about you loosing a fish but I'm glad you tried the fly

Regards

AllyG

crispin

Banned
Reaction score
Surely somebody else out there has had some success this season on a fly they received in a swap!

I caught three grilse yesterday and lost a couple more, on the River Finn in Donegal, on a nice sparse single which Openthelennon tied for the December swap.

Here it is:

crispin

Banned
Reaction score
Big thanks to Altmor for his August swap Calvin shrimp which caught me a 6lb grilse on the River Mourne today, five minutes after starting fishing :)

It seems that I'm the only person EVER to have reported on a fly-swap success so I'm signing off at this stage. I don't believe for a minute that I'm the only person scoring with swap flies, and I've reported on a number of captures I've had over the past few months.

Altmor

Reaction score
That's a chunky grilse Crispin, well done and glad to hear the "Calvin styled" Autumn Fall helped you yesterday. Sadly, I haven't been out to give the August swaps a wetting since receiving them, too much going on just now, but I'll rectify that soon and keep this post updated :).

Crispin's right though fellow swapers, it's great to hear how flyswap flies fare in the field, and there's been very little reporting over the past while.

I can't believe Crispin's that good a fisher that he outshines all other swapers ;), so come on, let's see some more catch stats from flies used from swaps :).

Good looking bit of water too Crispin. Well done again.

Altmor.

Ade

Reaction score
I haven't been fortunate to hook up with a swap fly yet, but not for the want of trying.

Keep posting Crispin, and I'll keep plugging away with 'em :cool:

Ade

Strathglass

Reaction score
Catches - not technically Swaps

I have had some success on other forum members flies this year however not technically from fly swaps hence lack of posting.

Altmors sunset shrimp accounted for a hard won, coloured 6lber on the Glass in July after a long week fishing with very few fish in the river.

The same fly came up trumps on Upper Drum, Lower Durris in August with a shiny wee grilse around 6lb, no pics as my ghillie that evening decided to throw it back in before we could get one probably because it was a lb or two bigger than his own fish! ;):D

I also managed to lose 3 grilse in 4 casts all on one of Bad Basties wee Park Shrimps, definitely not a swap item more of a car bonnet raid after he emptied his fly box out during an early morning dram session.

Another good catch was a chunky fish around 8 or 9lb taken on Aboyne Castle on one of Ade's Gledswood Shrimps.

I usually just use my own flies and it was really nice to get success while using other peoples...cheers guys. :cool:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I was fishing a couple of weeks ago and had Storkus's Glenties shrimp on the point and my own harvest shrimp on the dropper. The line tightened, I lifted into it and was just drafting my addition to the swap catches section in my head when the flies popped to the surface again! :(

I am trying to make a contribution to the Fly Swap Catches section but the fish just are not playing ball! :D

Doc

Reaction score
Get the pics up Neil they're cracking fish well done great to hear the fly works :)

Irish Salar

Reaction score
March Fly Swap Success

Hollywoods' Jazzy Sunray from the March Swap accounted for what has definitely been my smallest "salmon/grilse" to date over the weekend. (I also caught a bridge with Fly Toms Mr Pink but as i didn't land it I guess it doesn't count!).

The fish was estimated at a very generous 1lb (with the hook and fly in) and TBH if it wasn't for the presence of an experienced gillie I would have said sea trout.
Regardless it was a silvery tourist success for a swap fly hence the post.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
A big thank you to the fly swaps and in particular forum member GWelsher for his 2nd contribution to the October 2012 swap:

I have just opened my 2013 account with the above fly! :D:D:D

A nice wee plump fresh fish of about 5lb.

Thanks again to all involved in the swaps and in particular to GWelsher on this occasion! :D:D:D

gwelsher

Reaction score
A big thank you to the fly swaps and in particular forum member GWelsher for his 2nd contribution to the October 2012 swap:

Thanks again to all involved in the swaps and in particular to GWelsher on this occasion! :D:D:D
Well done Richard. I'm glad somebody can catch on my flies :D:D

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Well done Richard. I'm glad somebody can catch on my flies :D:D
I've just remembered that the last 2 of last season were got on your flies too! :D

The fish in my river do seem to be partial to the creations of Mr Welsher!!! ;)

Last edited:

Irish Salar

Reaction score
As mentioned else where I had a good fish yesterday. What wasn't mentioned I'd that it was caught on one of the flies from an earlier swap. Pete's Bann Special mini cone head was the fly that did the damage and as can be seen from the picture its a cracker.

andyjaffs

Reaction score
I am not sure who tied this fly, but I am pretty sure I got it from a swap. It is now a firm favourite. Despite appearing quite simple, I have been unable to replicate it to my satisfaction.

I grew up around the Upper Bann, a Lough Neagh tributary. With that in mind I probably should have caught my first Dollaghan before this season, however I never targeted them. I started to fish for them this year and had my first Dolly to this fly and lost another on the same evening.

When I find out who tied it, I will thank them personally, until then thanks :D