Swap Catches

Altmor

Reaction score
By popular demand, please use this Thread to tell us of fish caught / battles lost with flies you have received from any of the past or future Fly Swaps on the Forum.

Reports, pictures and details of where fish are caught (rivers / beats), water levels, time of year, etc., it all helps build up a picture of what patterns of flies from these great Fly Swaps are catching fish.

It would assist greatly for those wanting to see the fly to include a picture of the fly, and more importantly, the name of the originator and fly and month of the Fly Swap for ease of reference, in order those who may wish to tie some for themselves can contact / PM the tier for details.

It doesn't have to be an epilogue, even a post with details such as "7lbr caught at Newtyle with the Red Shrimp from January's Swap - thanks Davie :)", would suffice.

As time rolls on, I suspect this thread will become as popular as the Fly Swaps themselves, providing us all with a great resource of "catching patterns" for different rivers / seasons etc.

Tight Lines,

Altmor.

Hollywood

Reaction score
Some success

OK it was only a Kelt but it felt like a springer and gave me a rush. Caught and released on Monday last at Delphi, Co. Mayo, on the fly tied in the bottom left of the group picture of flies from December's Fly Swap. Can the tyer come forward?!

Hollywood.

Last edited:

Altmor

Reaction score
Brilliant Hollywood, a bend in the rod is a bend in the rod, as they say. Can't lay claim to being the tier of the bottom left (Dec Fly Swap), so come on, who ever it was, step up and admit it, who tied the fly that helped Hollywood catch recently. :):).

Just checked, it's no a bad flee, indeed ;):).

Altmor.

Altmor

Reaction score
I'm happy with your post as it is Hollywood, never tier of looking at what we all dream of ;):).

Altmor.

crispin

Banned
Reaction score
A BIG thankyou to mbh for the fly he tied for the February swap, it accounted for four of my cracking bag of twelve Dee sea-trout last Saturday night.

Here it is.

My advice? If you even only think there are sea-trout in the offing, stick it on (if you were lucky enough to be included in the swap :D).

Last edited:

Ade

Reaction score
Well done Crispin, and thanks for your report elsewhere. I did say small black, silver, yellow and someone else said a bit of blue

It's good this forum

Ade

crispin

Banned
Reaction score
Ade, you wanted to know if the flies you so kindly tied and posted to me would work in Norway. Well, they do.

I fished for a couple of hours this afternoon on a friend's beat of the Forra which is close to Trondheim Airport (and a main tributary of the Stjørdal), while I waited for Sinktip to fly in.

A run of grilse had come into the river this morning but try as I may with all sorts of flies, big and small, bright and dark I couldn't elicit any interest....that is until I tried Ade's June swap creation which I had promised to field test for him.

Two minutes after changing to the micro-turbo cone I connected with a small but high spirited grilse.

Not exactly what I travel to Norway for, but a fish is a fish. Good on ya buddy, thanks!

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Congrats Crispin - and nice underwater shot!

And congrats to Ade - those flies looked great when you showed them to me - leave me your fly box whilst you are golfing....I'll give 'em a good swim for you.

Cheers,

Patrick

Ade

Reaction score
Crispin, how did the fly stand up to a pan-sized feisty Orkla grilse?

Will it live to have another swim? I do wonder because it's all micro in the tying (extra small this and that).

I'd also be interested in what size and type of hook you used and whether you used the shrink wrap knot holder or whether you cut it off.

In any case, it means a great deal to me that the flee did the deed for you, really am made up, and it makes it all worthwhile.

There'll be a proper lunker out there just waiting for you sure enough, hopefully you interest it with my flee, tight lines to you and Sinktip ;)

Ade

Altmor

Reaction score
Great to hear the report a "Fly Swap" fly has done the business for a fellow angler. Thanks for the update Crispin, and Ade, there was no doubt at all, that fly would catch a fish or two :) You'll need to give it a name though ..... to enter the great hall of fame :D

Keep casting Crispy, and keep tying Ade, we all want to see more.

Altmor.

Ade

Reaction score
You'll need to give it a name though ..... to enter the great hall of fame :D
Hi Altmor

A name...hmmm...how about "The Lawnmower" ?

Based on the fact that it will be used up and down the Garden Pool soon enough :)

Ade

crispin

Banned
Reaction score
Congratulations to Dai for providing the successful fly for my 23.5lb catch last night.

I took the fish on his March swap fly, a shrimpy tube affair:

crispin

Banned
Reaction score
Just caught this nice 18 pounder on a Park Shrimp I think I received recently in a swap. Does anybody recognise it as their tying?

Last edited:

Doc

Reaction score
I tried out the finalist shrimp from julys fly swap, I kept it on the point with a size 12 piglet on the dropper for the few hours I was fishing. Anyway long story short I got a 6lb hen just before I went home another fly on to the successful list.

Storkus

Reaction score
I tried out the finalist shrimp from julys fly swap, I kept it on the point with a size 12 piglet on the dropper for the few hours I was fishing. Anyway long story short I got a 6lb hen just before I went home another fly on to the successful list.
Good man Doc.

I've had a couple on it, but good to hear someone else having success as well.

crispin

Banned
Reaction score
Congratulations Doc, and Storkus (who submitted the Finalist to the swap).

Here it is as a reminder:

Any pics of either of your fish guys?

Doc

Reaction score
I had my blackberry in the front pocket of my waders and went a bit too deep on Friday evening so unfortunately I didn't get a pic as the phone is dead. I'll use the fly again for sure, I might tie up a few on sprite hooks but the gold tinsel I have wouldn't be as yellow as the gold used in your fly storkus.

Last edited:

Storkus

Reaction score
I had my blackberry in the front pocket of my waders and went a bit too deep on Friday evening so unfortunately I didn't get a pic as the phone is dead. I'll use the fly again for sure, I might tie up a few on sprite hooks but the gold tinsel I have wouldn't be as yellow as the gold used in your fly storkus.
Yeh Doc the 'old gold' look mylar tinsel not so easy to come by. I bought a couple of spools of both large and medium stuff from 'MAYO FLYCRAFT' about 15 years ago. (not even sure they still exsist).

I've run out of the large stuff after tying up a few 'Finalists' for myself so now onto the medium spools. Which was ok for the smaller sizes.
I believe I saw some recenlty in the thicker stuff in Tom's Tackle in the Ardlough Road, Drumahoe think it was by Lureflash, will check it out tomorrow and let you know.

McFly

Reaction score
Had a nice 4lb salmon (slightly coloured & returned) on the river Lossie this morning to Carbisdale Caster's contribution to the August swap. The fish put up quite a tussle in the wee river. To top it all it was the first fish on my #7wt switch rod. A great way to spend a morning in the Autumn sunshine.

CC
I'll have to tie up some of these before I lose your fly as the Lossie is quite overgrown. I'm glad I waded waist deep to retrieve the fly from a tree on the pool previous to the one on which I got the fish. Could you provide the dressing please?
cheers

Last edited:

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
Had a nice 4lb salmon (slightly coloured & returned) on the river Lossie this morning to Carbisdale Caster's contribution to the August swap. The fish put up quite a tussle in the wee river. To top it all it was the first fish on my #7wt switch rod. A great way to spend a morning in the Autumn sunshine.

CC
I'll have to tie up some of these before I lose your fly as the Lossie is quite overgrown. I'm glad I waded waist deep to retrieve the fly from a tree on the pool previous to the one on which I got the fish. Could you provide the dressing please?
cheers
Hi Mcfly, I just noticed this post. Congratulations on the fish mate, I sadly lost most of my swap flies on the Tummel a couple of weeks ago which was bl**dy annoying. Anyway Ade's beaten me to it with the recipe :). For the heads of the swap flies I used a coppery rainbow coloured thread which was sent to me by Highlander as oppose to the copper Krystal Flash I normally use for them. For the body the actual Gold Braid is Madeira Metallic Embroidery Thread col.2534 nr.25, art.no. 9811. I picked it up at the local art shop but you'll probably get it in most sewing/wool shops. I also picked up some which is a mixture of silver and gold art.no. 9808 and looks really nice.

Paul