Sunrays

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Ask @The flying Scotsman ....he caught 4 in one day to my 3 for 5 👍
Purely down to conditions.
Col is sunray king.
It was a pattern that I rarely used. Now I love it thanks to Colin.
I’ve been having success on it casting square then dropping my rod down stream and taking a few steps down stream at the same time to keep your line straight and big fast strips.
I was also using a full floating set up with a floating tip and a plastic tube.
I also extended the tube with another 1/2” piece of tube using silicone sleeve so my hook was further back and used a size 8 b990 treble.
But intend on using long shank doubles like Colin was in the future.
I had 2 offers that I never hooked up on. I just seen the boil and felt nothing.
It’s a dead exciting way of fishing with spectacular takes.
A method I will give a go anywhere now. Although it knocks the shite out of you with the constant casting and retrieving.

Loxie

Reaction score
For me a Monkey is the equivalent of a sub-surface sunray. A Monkey on a floater/sink tip or sun-ray on a sinking line would look very similar to a salmon.
I'd agree. The concept is the same and I doubt salmon care about the details much. I fish a monkey for subsurface and a Sunray for on top. I particularly like the takes when high sticking. Hitching one is good too. I think for pulling a monkey works better, but I guess it also depends what you call a Sunray. For me it's an unweighted plastic tube with a white underwing and a long black over wing, optional peacock topping and flash.

Loxie

Reaction score
Col is sunray king.
I’ve been having success on it casting square then dropping my rod down stream and taking a few steps down stream at the same time to keep your line straight and big fast strips.
I also extended the tube with another 1/2” piece of tube using silicone sleeve so my hook was further back and used a size 8 b990 treble.
I had 2 offers that I never hooked up on. I just seen the boil and felt nothing.
A method I will give a go anywhere now. Although it knocks the shite out of you with the constant casting and retrieving.
Try a free hanger and a smaller treble, I use a 12, but a ten is good on a heavier rod. Hooks and holds much better than a fixed hook.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Col is sunray king.
I've just WhatsApp you a video Gord...but it's just a project so far 👍

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Is this more secret foam flees ?

I’ve some secret flees too….. ha

DCH
Nah DCH
I was catching on a laerdal sunray the blue and black ones. Just found out what they were called thanks to Salmonaddic :) who ties amazing flies and who’s disco monkey is featured in Cols vid. Mines are 5-6” long.
E37E7180-2C43-42C1-AA6F-61268A89998B.jpeg
That’s the very beast there
My laddie caught his on a black and yellow one so I’m pretty sure it’s the action and size and not the colours that matter.

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
The Laerdal Sunray and Donaldson's collie dog variants are my two favourites of this "style" of fly.

Like tfs says, its got to be action over colour but whatever gives you the confidence is the key.

Enjoying this thread, need more LHU videos too👍

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
The Laerdal Sunray and Donaldson's collie dog variants are my two favourites of this "style" of fly.

Like tfs says, its got to be action over colour but whatever gives you the confidence is the key.

Enjoying this thread, need more LHU videos too👍
I’ve had a sneak peak and his latest one is fantastic. I believe it will be up on his u tube channel in a week.
Ps. I’ve been saving your micro muddlers for my holiday to Helmsdale. I’m up in 2 weeks and can’t wait to use them. Will let you know how I get on.
Cheers Gordon.

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
I’ve had a sneak peak and his latest one is fantastic. I believe it will be up on his u tube channel in a week.
Ps. I’ve been saving your micro muddlers for my holiday to Helmsdale. I’m up in 2 weeks and can’t wait to use them. Will let you know how I get on.
Cheers Gordon.
Superb👍👍
Here's hoping your next trip is just as successful Gordon🎣🎣

Rrrr

Reaction score
Nah DCH
I was catching on a laerdal sunray the blue and black ones. Just found out what they were called thanks to Salmonaddic :) who ties amazing flies and who’s disco monkey is featured in Cols vid. Mines are 5-6” long.
View attachment 62713That’s the very beast there
My laddie caught his on a black and yellow one so I’m pretty sure it’s the action and size and not the colours that matter.
Black and blue with a red head with eyes on is whats been working for me lately. Not strictly a sunray but fished in the same style and with the same reactions from the fish.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk