G

guest2938

More good clips from you C

I aldo like a decent sized hook (single) on my sunray / monkey

Thanks for sharing

DCH

riffled hitch

Reaction score
Haven't looked in much this last while but that video was well worth the watch lefthandup. Cheers ?

I also use big singles for sunrays. Do you set the hook with a horizontal rod or just let it take and lift the rod in!?

Salarium, id be using an even bigger hook if it was I.

Oscar

Reaction score
Superb, I love fishing the sunray, although normally fish it squarer and faster, but what you're doing obvisouly works! I also use a big single like that, or perhaps a large Loop double.

That looks an awesome river - would you be willing to share wherre abouts on the Chavanga it is?

Many thanks for sharing.
Oscar.

Dryfly

Reaction score
Superb, I love fishing the sunray, although normally fish it squarer and faster, but what you're doing obvisouly works! I also use a big single like that, or perhaps a large Loop double.

That looks an awesome river - would you be willing to share wherre abouts on the Chavanga it is?

Many thanks for sharing.
Oscar.

There's only one way to fish the Chavanga from the UK deactivate-domain Vasili posts about their fishing now and again on here. I'm going to take the trip next season, end of May all being well.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Thanks for good feedback..my editing is very rusty using a very old laptop but I'm going to upgrade soon.

As for the sunray...I fish it fast too and sometimes on the swing with a downstream mend if the current allows.
Sometimes just a figure of 8 retrieve.
Because of very low water on Chavanga I fished it steady pulls and caught more than I had offers or lost.

Just google Chavanga fishing for the web site.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Haven't looked in much this last while but that video was well worth the watch lefthandup. Cheers ?

I also use big singles for sunrays. Do you set the hook with a horizontal rod or just let it take and lift the rod in!?

Salarium, id be using an even bigger hook if it was I.

Soon as I feel resistance the rod is up...although in one of the clips (fast water)..you can see the salmon come up and take the fly before I tighten into it.
It's a very exciting way of fishing.

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
I haven't had much success in hooking fish on a Sunray but I have certainly had lots of fish bash it, attack it, jump over it etc. I think having watched this my size 12 treble is too small and next trip I will tie a large single on and see. Ghillie will smack me around the side of the head if he sees it but I'll take the chance!:lol:

Rennie

Reaction score
Keep on posting the video's Lefthandup,its total wet dream stuff for most of us Anglers stuck firmly in Blighty over the last few years.Watching them I can at least fantasise.May I ask what kit you were using?,looks like a small double hander or switch rod possibly?
Any road ,sat here completely green,incredibly jealous and very very envious indeed.Big up on you dude!.
Pedro.

Balder

Reaction score
Super videos. Are you fishing the SS on the surface like a rifling hitch or underneath and what leader/line are you using, if the latter?

lefthandup

Reaction score
Keep on posting the video's Lefthandup,its total wet dream stuff for most of us Anglers stuck firmly in Blighty over the last few years.Watching them I can at least fantasise.May I ask what kit you were using?,looks like a small double hander or switch rod possibly?
Any road ,sat here completely green,incredibly jealous and very very envious indeed.Big up on you dude!.
Pedro.

Thanks..it was a dream for me to go there too.

As the water was at summer level there was no need for the 13'9 shakey I bought just incase we did get water.
I bought this travel rod especially for this trip as most my double handlers are 3pc.

The rods I used were my Hardy switch for sunray fishing and my 10ft guideline lpxe which has been modified with an extension handle done by Stan from Alba rods.
I use a Rio single hander Spey line with this rod and a Rio switch chucker with the switch (recommend by yourself).
I also have a Gaelforce line which I used twice but I don't like it compared to the 'chucker'..so if anyone wants an almost new Gaelforce switch line I'll happily part with it for £50 plus postage.

It's just a pity we never got the water and the silver fish I'd hoped forward...still I can't complain with 39 salmon banked and the biggest in the 20lbs bracket.
So yes...well worth the money and a pretty arduous journey...which British Airways made even harder delaying my first flight from Edinburgh thus missing my connection to St Petersburg.
They also lost all my luggage on the way home but I got it delivered next day.

On the other hand Aeroflot were a superbly run airline apart from the no online check in.

I'd do it all again tomorrow.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Code:
Super videos. Are you fishing the SS on the surface like a rifling hitch or underneath and what leader/line are you using, if the latter?

My set up for a sunray is Switch rod...switch chucker line..10ft inty poly leader and 9or 10ft of seaguar 19.5 lbs.

lefthandup

Reaction score
I haven't had much success in hooking fish on a Sunray but I have certainly had lots of fish bash it, attack it, jump over it etc. I think having watched this my size 12 treble is too small and next trip I will tie a large single on and see. Ghillie will smack me around the side of the head if he sees it but I'll take the chance!:lol:

I wouldn’t worry about fishing a larger hook Using a sunray.
A fish will rarely take it well down and it’s much easier to remove than a smaller hook.

So much so you rarely need to use forceps.