Sunray shadow fishing for salmon

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
wondering if anybody has had any success fishing sunray shadows in the late end of the season for salmon, going to give it a go maybe a red and black sunray fished fast across the pools, I fish the wear in North east England, be great to get a bit of feedback on the best methods,

Could be some brilliant takes...

Last edited:

Sprintavoj

Reaction score
Can be a very effective way to get a salmon to take !! I was doing it myself this last weekend on a low water river Eden and had two VERY close encounters. Unfortunately, the percentage of hook ups to non hook ups isn't very good, in my experience, but it's very exciting, non the less. (y) 😲😲

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Can be a very effective way to get a salmon to take !! I was doing it myself this last weekend on a low water river Eden and had two VERY close encounters. Unfortunately, the percentage of hook ups to non hook ups isn't very good, in my experience, but it's very exciting, non the less. (y) 😲😲
Ahh shame they didn't stick mate!...river eden has been fishing really well this season from what I've seen.. hopefully a friend of mine is going to tie me some up in red and black colours for September and October and something will take a liking to them...

Thanks for reply,
Lewis

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
They are the most infuriating things!!! 😂

I've had numerous rises to them, including 8 in one evening a couple of years ago, but I have yet to touch a fish with them.
8! I bet you were furious haha at least you know you did something right mate.. do you fish them on a sink tip or higher up in the water columns? Be nice to know the reaction to different depth 👍🎣

Thanks for reply.
Lewis.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
8! I bet you were furious haha at least you know you did something right mate.. do you fish them on a sink tip or higher up in the water columns? Be nice to know the reaction to different depth 👍🎣

Thanks for reply.
Lewis.
I can't even remember what line I was using that time. There may have been a 5ft hover poly leader on the floating line, I'm really not sure.

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
I see alot of people like to "hitch" them and fish them for the big wake it leaves...very technical and amazing takes straight off the top

HMarquis

Reaction score
I've had success with this fly using it at all depths, full floater right to a sinking line, stripped fast and slow.. various colours for the under wing, all black, white, blue or orange

Pati

Reaction score
Hi

I ve been told to tie a small trailer fly behind the Sunray shadow (also behind Monkey type flies) for salmon rise to the Sunray and then actually take the small fly.

No idea if it actually works though!

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
I've had success with this fly using it at all depths, full floater right to a sinking line, stripped fast and slow.. various colours for the under wing, all black, white, blue or orange
Brilliant cant wait to give them a try in the later months

Cheers, lewis

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Hi

I ve been told to tie a small trailer fly behind the Sunray shadow (also behind Monkey type flies) for salmon rise to the Sunray and then actually take the small fly.

No idea if it actually works though!
Makes sense though good see it definitely working mate

Cheers, lewis

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
In experience with the very addictive sunray shadow is not to strike on anything that happens till everything goes really solid ,had numerous boils rises,fish thrashing just behind and follows, grabs and plucks but the only hook ups iv had is when i started to ignore all till all tightens,this also ensures you enjoy the technic more as rather than focust and waiting makeing sure you dont miss a take it allows you to be more relaxed knowing that all you need to do is be creative and mix up the retrieve till the line stops dead, different parts of the river or even same pool calls for a different approach,size of fly too makes a difference,small tubes are fished best slower speeds and stay out of the fast water larger tubes i find best faster with a good amount of flash for anything other than clear water,just my experience tho

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
In experience with the very addictive sunray shadow is not to strike on anything that happens till everything goes really solid ,had numerous boils rises,fish thrashing just behind and follows, grabs and plucks but the only hook ups iv had is when i started to ignore all till all tightens,this also ensures you enjoy the technic more as rather than focust and waiting makeing sure you dont miss a take it allows you to be more relaxed knowing that all you need to do is be creative and mix up the retrieve till the line stops dead, different parts of the river or even same pool calls for a different approach,size of fly too makes a difference,small tubes are fished best slower speeds and stay out of the fast water larger tubes i find best faster with a good amount of flash for anything other than clear water,just my experience tho
Real exiting fishing mate 🎣👍

Melrubha

Reaction score
Fished anything like at a 'traditional' angle fish will boil/roll/porpoise at a sunray all day long with generally a very low hookup percentage in my experience.

Fish it fast, get it making a good wake (but definitely not 'bouncing' either) with your rod tip up, and (most importantly) get it coming dead square across the fish and your hookup rate, I would wager, will improve significantly. This works with a longer line or just working a short line with the rod tip. I also prefer streamy or well riffled water for it.

I dont use it much later in the season, preferring late spring and summer for it.

keirstream

Reaction score
The way to nail an interested fish is to strip it fast until you find him.
Have him splash at you another couple of times then hitch your sunray, cast square and high stick just keeping in touch with the fly and making absolutely sure it is riffling on top of the water.
You will improve your hook up rate no end.(y)(y)

Jack Holroyd

Reaction score
i was told about the deadly collie dog over thirty years ago and didn't believe it. ( collie dog is the a 1/2 inch tube with 4 inches of black , that's all. Back in the eighties all fly sizes were in length from eye to bend of hook. So a size 8 only measured 1/3 inch. The same fly now is 2 1/2 inch , and catches far more.
The Sunray ( exactly the same fly as the collie, with bits on ) is fished fast, and I mean fast over fresh or freshish in the lower areas of our rivers and is deadly.
Keep the tube short as the fish attack the head , not the tail. A inch tube with a four inch thin tail works.
Whatever else , strip it, strip it, strip it.
Retrieve fastish, and you will move a few fish, but catch BUGGER ALL.
Strip fast fast fast ,then move down five yards.
I have landed salmon on the collie ,upriver , occasionally, but my best successes have been within 6 or 7 miles from the tide.
If you have a fish slash at your fly, stop for a couple of minutes , then cast again but retrieve faster. Speed is the trigger for an attack.
I think most People who rise salmon but don't connect , are not stripping fast enough, they are retrieving , not stripping.
The salmon doesn't see a lure moving away but a lure jumping away erratically, and if you are stripping fast , your slim lure will look exciting.
Once they have been in the river for 5 or 6 months, they may not be so interested.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
They are the most infuriating things!!! 😂

I've had numerous rises to them, including 8 in one evening a couple of years ago, but I have yet to touch a fish with them.
I often wonder if our wee pools are too small for them and the fish slash at them quickly rather than follow and take like they may do with more room..

Tried on several different rivers at various heights. No fish landed but memorable reactions to them... most notable was watching what looked like every fish in the pool cartwheel backwards down stream out of its way on the mill pool at the Drowse

ArchieL

Reaction score
Not a good enough hook up rate for me and my humble abilities.. I much prefer to fish a fly which i have confidence in for a proper hook up GBWG or Gold body Cascade. Do not get me wrong if i was fishing somewhere loaded with fish then i would mix it up for a bit of top water action but where i fish you are looking for every fish to stick as it may be your last take for a while. Remember being shown one 15 years ago and thinking WTF is that but when i was shown it i was also informed that it had accounted for a lot of fish the week before for 1 rod on a beat just above us in the late spring.

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
i was told about the deadly collie dog over thirty years ago and didn't believe it. ( collie dog is the a 1/2 inch tube with 4 inches of black , that's all. Back in the eighties all fly sizes were in length from eye to bend of hook. So a size 8 only measured 1/3 inch. The same fly now is 2 1/2 inch , and catches far more.
The Sunray ( exactly the same fly as the collie, with bits on ) is fished fast, and I mean fast over fresh or freshish in the lower areas of our rivers and is deadly.
Keep the tube short as the fish attack the head , not the tail. A inch tube with a four inch thin tail works.
Whatever else , strip it, strip it, strip it.
Retrieve fastish, and you will move a few fish, but catch BUGGER ALL.
Strip fast fast fast ,then move down five yards.
I have landed salmon on the collie ,upriver , occasionally, but my best successes have been within 6 or 7 miles from the tide.
If you have a fish slash at your fly, stop for a couple of minutes , then cast again but retrieve faster. Speed is the trigger for an attack.
I think most People who rise salmon but don't connect , are not stripping fast enough, they are retrieving , not stripping.
The salmon doesn't see a lure moving away but a lure jumping away erratically, and if you are stripping fast , your slim lure will look exciting.
Once they have been in the river for 5 or 6 months, they may not be so interested.

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Jack, I learned that last week in the far North. We had a pretty dour week with fish that were showing very little interest across the beats. The only angler that was succesful was fishing all his flies (wee tubes, big Highlanders, Sunrays etc) at lightening speed at all times. Strip Strip Strip!!! I watched him! He was no spring chicken either and came off each pool staggering across the shingle drenched in sweat and looking like he was going to breath his last! Him and his mate had 18 for the week. :cool:

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Jack, I learned that last week in the far North. We had a pretty dour week with fish that were showing very little interest across the beats. The only angler that was succesful was fishing all his flies (wee tubes, big Highlanders, Sunrays etc) at lightening speed at all times. Strip Strip Strip!!! I watched him! He was no spring chicken either and came off each pool staggering across the shingle drenched in sweat and looking like he was going to breath his last! Him and his mate had 18 for the week. :cool:
I find fast stripping of salmon flies quite hard work ! I can well believe that he ended up sweating ! I can manage about 20 minutes of it, after that it becomes more of a chore than a pleasure (for me). Mind you, if I was caching plenty on it, might be different !

I've had quite a few boils and one or two takes but nothing has stuck yet but to be fair not fished it that much.

Last edited:

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
When you land a fish on the collie/ Sunray, don't congratulate yourselves, get straight back in as there will be more coming through and taking. Possibly the last off the tide. Once you have had that explosive take, you will want more.
Closest I came to landing a fish on one was the Dee at Park in the spring. Fishing the tail of Kirk's.. it was the most normal take and reaction to a fly.. maybe as I'd given up stripping and just let it swing for a change lol...

I always carry a few and fish them sporadically, usually where I've more room in bigger river. maybe should be a more regular thing.

simonjh98

Reaction score
I often wonder if our wee pools are too small for them and the fish slash at them quickly rather than follow and take like they may do with more room..

Tried on several different rivers at various heights. No fish landed but memorable reactions to them... most notable was watching what looked like every fish in the pool cartwheel backwards down stream out of its way on the mill pool at the Drowse
Same experience here ,I tried them and had a lot of fish come around and follow it or boil behind the fly.

I then was thinking they are too big, so instead I Now tie a half inch Wing on a silver body and black front hackle on a size 10 Kamazan B175 and fish it the same way as a sunray. They seem more obliged to take the smaller fly than a sunray on a tube.

Sometimes you get a better reaction with the bigger sunray in terms of the amount of fish you stir up so it's hard to find the right balance,

I might start putting on a smaller dropper on a long leader when I fish the sunray next. I need to keep experimenting!