Summer Run and Trout Spey

Richardgw

Reaction score
I see that the Bruce and Walker website has been updated with two new series of rods. There are the Sumer Run and Trout Speycasters models, which I imagined where produced in response to the US market where B&W has a strong following. There are also some additional Walker and Powerlite models. I also saw this for sale on fleebay so even these updates are behind what this bespoke BRITISH manufacturer is doing.

Whilst I don’t currently have a need for new rod, B&W would be on my shortlist of manufacturers to look at when I do.

sewinfly

Reaction score
I see that the Bruce and Walker website has been updated with two new series of rods. There are the Sumer Run and Trout Speycasters models, which I imagined where produced in response to the US market where B&W has a strong following. There are also some additional Walker and Powerlite models. I also saw this for sale on fleebay so even these updates are behind what this bespoke BRITISH manufacturer is doing.

Whilst I don’t currently have a need for new rod, B&W would be on my shortlist of manufacturers to look at when I do.
I wish I kept my B&W Merlin Salmon &Seatrout Special 7-9 wt.

It was a lovely rod but don't think it would of handled a 9 wt line.
Black with green whippings, rose wood handle,keeper ring and a true butt exstension.
Part Ex for a Sharpes Aquarex 10ft 7wt at the original Sportsmail shop Cardiff.

Still have this rod to and it's a great Sewin rod.
Don't think I have ever seen another Merlin Special, plenty of Merlin but not that one.

Sewinfly. ..............

grayghost

Reaction score
I am definitely part of the North American strong following when, it come to Bruce and Walker rods. I have several that I really like. Mostly the longer models but I had a chance to cast the Powerlite 13' 6/7 3pc. rod a while ago and thought it was one of the best rods in this size range I have ever cast. I know everyone has their own view and opinion but when a rod feels and performs right it is just apparent. If you are looking for a rod in this range you owe it to yourself to find one and give it a cast.

Icelander05

Reaction score
Sounds interesting. When I started salmon fishing I only used B&W, the Bruce and the Walker models, later Hexagraph and Merlins. All great rods at their time and I still have a 11'3 Hex (converted to a switch rod) and a Hex trout rod in use sometimes. Somehow B&W came out of fashion by staying in the same stereotypes like 13' # 8/9, 14' 9/10, 15' 10/11. -My favorite rod for year was the 12' 5-7 Grilse which was miles ahead imho to their competitors range. I have not cast these new models and it would be interesting to do so. The people at B&W have always been very friendly and helpful und provided a great afterservice.
Icelander05