Suitable 8wt Switch line for 11. 5 ft Jaxon Monolith XT Switch

Snakeroll

Reaction score
Hi All

I've just picked up a cheap 11.5 ft 8wt switch rod. I have been surfing the net for a suitable line to match, and it seems that the Lee Wulff Ambush is highly thought of. Just keen not to spend a fortune on lines in order to find the right one. Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Snakeroll

Reaction score
Hi Snakeroll,

You should take a look at the Barrio lines. Highly rated and very good value. Mike Barrio will respond to your email enquiries himself and help you to find the right line for your rod.

https://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-switch.html

Good luck with your search and tight lines once the outfit is complete!

Hi CrippledCaddis

Checked on the site and the 7/8 is out of stock. Sent Mike an email to see if there are other options available.

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
Hi All

I've just picked up a cheap 11.5 ft 8wt switch rod. I have been surfing the net for a suitable line to match, and it seems that the Lee Wulff Ambush is highly thought of. Just keen not to spend a fortune on lines in order to find the right one. Any help greatly appreciated.

Airflo Rage compact lines are superb i use a 360gr on my switch 7/8,if your looking to get good to fair presentation then the rage is better than the ambush,if your new to 2handed casting then go for a heavier line sutch as the 390gr or 420gr head

Last edited:

Snakeroll

Reaction score
Airflo Rage compact lines are superb i use a 360gr on my switch 7/8,if your looking to get good to fair presentation then the rage is better than the ambush,if your new to 2handed casting then go for a heavier line sutch as the 390gr or 420gr head

Hi dexterbuchanan1

Thanks for the tip. I'm a pretty experienced/competent speycaster so will probably wait till the rod arrives and see what I can pick up.

Regards

Potbellied Pig

Reaction score
Hi dexterbuchanan1

Thanks for the tip. I'm a pretty experienced/competent speycaster so will probably wait till the rod arrives and see what I can pick up.

Regards

Another vote for the Barrio reasonable price too, check if your rod is salmon or trout line rated, I found it quite confusing
at the start. I use an 8/9wt Barrio on a Sage One its perfect.
I have an older 7/8wt (cream/orange)Barrio your welcome to try it.

Last edited:
D

Don CurlyHorny

Is the switch rod salmon or trout line rated?....whats its grain window........now make your line choice :)

DCH

happy days

Reaction score
Is the switch rod salmon or trout line rated?....whats its grain window........now make your line choice :)

DCH

Good point if it's a double hander the odds are its Spey rated, if that's the case look no further than the ssvt it will cover all conditions within reason. Imo

D

Don CurlyHorny

looking online, ive a hunch its trout line rated...some of the lines mentioned above will burst it......

DCH

Snakeroll

Reaction score
Another vote for the Barrio reasonable price too, check if your rod is salmon or trout line rated, I found it quite confusing
at the start. I use an 8/9wt Barrio on a Sage One its perfect.
I have an older 7/8wt (cream/orange)Barrio your welcome to try it.

Hi Potbellied Pig

Many thanks for the kind offer I will probably take you up on it. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have the permissions to upload a picture of it. Trying to get to grips with the forum.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi CrippledCaddis

Checked on the site and the 7/8 is out of stock. Sent Mike an email to see if there are other options available.

Hi Snakeroll,

His lines are popular and regularly sell out it seems. I expect he will respond to your email soon. It doesn't normally take him more than a day or two.

Tom

Snakeroll

Reaction score
Hi All

Hi All

The rod arrived today and I'm frankly amazed at the build quality, excellent rings, fittings and cork all for £111.23 delivered. Tried it with a Rio Scandi short 7wt a bit under gunned. Have opted for the Airflo Scandi compact 510 gr couldn't bring myself to spending £100 plus on the Versitip kit. Will let you know how it works out.

Tight lines

Snakeroll