Stuck Ferrule...Help!

Oscar

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm sure this has been covered, but nothing like up to date recommendations!

I have an Airflo Nantec Switch 11'3 and the bottom 2 sections are stuck fast. Really fast. I have tried rubber gloves, the Thurso Ghillies pull and rotate solution, and nothing's worked.

Does anybody have any magic solutions I could try?

Thanks all!
Oscar.

S.preston

Reaction score
I left mine in warm water for a few minutes and it came out with some gentle persuasion. Had to use a drum cut in half and some gaffer tape to hold the water . Did cut outs for the rod to drop into. Not pretty but it worked.

Fruin

Reaction score
The only thing that used to work for me in these situations was to get a length of bike tyre inner tube or similar and wrap a good few wraps around the rod at either side of the rod joint. This gives a much larger diameter to grip in both hands and usually allows you to rotate and pull apart a lot easier.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Have you tried pull & twist with 2 people - one holding each end?

Alternatively, try some hot (not boiling) water poured over the joint, then Pull + Twist.

Cascade

Reaction score
Last edited:

Oscar

Reaction score
Thurso ghillies pull, is that the hold rod behind your knees with hands outside legs, twist while pushing arms apart with knees method?
No it was two pulling, and another rotating the joint.

Tried the behind the knees, which gave really good purchase, but no movement!

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Screenshot_20211005-115211~2.png

Rennie

Reaction score
Various bits and types of rubber on each section, tightly wrapped to increase grip and to give hands a bigger area to grip.Two big blokes either side holding as close to the stuck ferrule as they can, work the ferrule gently, flexing it every which way, bend the sections slowly, but don't twist!. then after a minute or so, apply a pulling pressure gradually and ever more forceful and it should pop apart.
If that fails, kitchen sink with a conventional hot and cold tap.Female section under the hot tap, male section under the cold tap, give it a few minutes, let the heat/cold take effect, two bodies and usual pull.That one never fails!, done more stuck pole sections like that than there are members on the forum.
Last chance saloon, up side down in a warm room corner, apply penetrating oil and forget about it for a week or so.
Rod section's usually stick through excess moisture causing a vacuum, break the vacuum and it'll pop apart no worries. If its unfinished carbon joints then the heat generated coupled to a little water and too much gusto on application can see the sections at time gluing themselves irretrievably together and sorry there's no way round that one- stuck for life.
As I have the same Airflo rods ( they're painted varnished sections! ), it'll be just too much push on assembly and maybe moisture on/in the sections, they will come apart.Let them dry out when you get home 1stly before you try to do owt with them.
Good luck, Pedro.

Beel

Reaction score
Had this a couple of times this year and the frozen bag of peas worked no bother.

Found it worth applying a very light smearing of wax with a tea-light to prevent it happening again.

chriswjx

Reaction score
This was the method shown to me by the Ghillie at Dalguise. Rub your finger against the side of your nose (gets some of the oils off your skin onto your finger), then rub said finger up against the stuck joint. Theory is that it works a bit of the oils under the joint, and also gives it a bit of heating. Works like a charm in the pissing rain...

Isisalar

Reaction score
I was taught and have found this successful.
Needs 2 people. Face each other and each put a hand either side of the stuck joint. Each person pushes one side of the joint and pulls the other in unison so you have 2 hands pushing and 2 hands pulling silmultaniously. Obviously building up the diameter with something non slip helps enormously. I find neoprene rod bands just the job.

kimbo

Reaction score
Heat the female ferrule first with hot water and then do this…

It has never failed for me.
This method was brought to Me by one of the loop guys.
I had used all the methods already mentioned and this was the only one that worked 100%.
Wouldn't be without gaffer tape in my bag now, it was amazing how it came apart so easily.
No need to heat anything

paddymc

Reaction score
This method was brought to Me by one of the loop guys.
I had used all the methods already mentioned and this was the only one that worked 100%.
Wouldn't be without gaffer tape in my bag now, it was amazing how it came apart so easily.
No need to heat anything
Yeah, the heating bit is only necessary for those that are really, really stuck. For those, the heat helps the female part expand and loosen. You can get serious purchase with the tape.

salarchaser

Reaction score
As cascade or isisalar are my two options.
Rubber gloves behind the knees, or with two people, each grab the rod their side of the joint, then with your other hand, grip the other persons hand so you are both gripping both sides and pulling / pushing.
Neither have let me down.

Id never twist a joint though. Could easily fracture.

Icelander05

Reaction score
I have twisted hundreds of rods without any issues. If really stuck with 2 people or even three. This I learned in a West Yellowstone fly shop back in 1985 when my first Sage got stuck and the flight home got nearer.
Icelander05

Henke

Reaction score
Have you tried pull & twist with 2 people - one holding each end?

Alternatively, try some hot (not boiling) water poured over the joint, then Pull + Twist.
Try this with the modifikation that you both have a hand on each part. Then just pull/draw. It works everytime because of the even pressure.
otherwise rubber gloves are also a very good way to do it. I always carry a pair of gloves some use when doing the dishes.

heather point

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm sure this has been covered, but nothing like up to date recommendations!

I have an Airflo Nantec Switch 11'3 and the bottom 2 sections are stuck fast. Really fast. I have tried rubber gloves, the Thurso Ghillies pull and rotate solution, and nothing's worked.

Does anybody have any magic solutions I could try?

Thanks all!
Oscar.
The one method that will always work is as follows.
Cut 6 or 8 strips of wood about 1/8" thick, 4" long and about 1/2" wide.
Tape above and below the joint with masking or gaffer tape.
Then tape your wooden strips on top of the gaffer tape.
This gives you a grip like a gorilla, (think thin handled screwdriver compared to thick handled screwdriver).
This will free any stuck joint.

Just back from the Thurso by the way, we had a pretty good time too.

Oscar

Reaction score
Update.

So I've tried most of the options above that I can on my own, and absolutely won't budge. Not with tape, hot water, ice, behind the knees, etc. Still to try bike inner tube and heather point's latest trick, and will keep trying. I tried the 2-people (in fact 3) when I was up north, and nothing there either.

Beginning to suspect someone snuck some super glue in there!!

Cheers for all the replies thus far.

Oscar.

Oscar

Reaction score
Could you maybe try working some wd 40 on a cotton bud into the ferrule?
Thanks - as soon as I got home I put some 3-in-1 on, left thew rod upside down for a couple of days, and nothing!

Going to try this later, an evolution of heather point's idea:

Cheers.

chriswjx

Reaction score
One other trick I saw - albeit from some coarse guys showing how to deal with a stuck pole section - have a person on each end of the stuck sections and have them pull outwards. Have a 3rd person in the middle at the joint, one hand on each section, and gently roll the section in a circular manner (think skipping rope kinda thing). Might not work as well because a fly rod is so much thinner, and more flexible but might help.

One other thing, I don't know if this has been suggested exactly before, is chill the joint down, cold/icy water etc. Then whap a hairdryer to the upper section and joint.

Also, if its potentially an air vacuum locking it, check what the top of each section looks like? Most manufacturers just put a plug of high density foam or the like, so if you can get a hold of a syringe needle and push it through, that might release the vacuum (might need a syringe as well to force air through if the needle ends up cutting a micro disc of the foam plug and blocking itself...)