Strong trebles......

ashley

Reaction score
What do you guys use for small tube trebles...about sizes 10-14.... I tried a few types this season and most were too easy to open up to be honest. I'd hate to lose a fish due to hook failure....

rotenone

Reaction score
What do you guys use for small tube trebles...about sizes 10-14.... I tried a few types this season and most were too easy to open up to be honest. I'd hate to lose a fish due to hook failure....
Guideline or ken sawada

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Mattytree

Reaction score
Another for guidlines , have found owner trebles expensive and weak, lost two big fish due to them straightening now.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Kamasan b990s for me, simple, cheap and sharp. If using tube doubles i prefer owners or partridge with the wider gape.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Perrypokemon

Reaction score
Partridge X1 (the original ones, not the newer version) are absolutely fantastic. If you cannot find the original ones then Kamasan B990 are really decent and dead cheap.

cgaines10

Reaction score
I use Kamasan B990 or owner stingers for sea trout and they're ideal, bed in nice and are solid!

Loxie

Reaction score
I love the B990's. I've landed hundreds of salmon on them and never been let down. My only criticism is I would like them to make 16, 18 and 20's. I tend to use 12's and 14's for pretty much everything only going to a 10 in extremis. I had a 17lb sea liced springer on a 14 this year, no sweat. (Or very little!)

cgaines10

Reaction score
Partridge are good, can't remember the code at them moment, but well come back with it.

Elibank

Reaction score
Trebles for me every time, the way my catches have bombed, I need all the firepower I can get..

Partridge X1s, but not the new ones, the old model is better, as mentioned above.

Rennie

Reaction score
Partridge for me too, a great lover of the X1 and the sadly discontinued X4 too.
I'll also second the Guideline terrible's too, well apart from the price that is!.
Careful in what you ask for in a strong treble.Modern rods are a lot lighter in the tip than they used to be and certainly getting shorter too!, I'd question the need for a really strong terrible in the UK, and certainly question the ability of these "strong" hooks to be consistently "set" correctly.
I've still a good few Rob Wilson extra strong terrible's by Partridge in my kit, when I line them up with say an equal size 12 X1, they indeed look strong, but nesscessary?.
My approach revolves around smaller lighter demon sharp hooks, even sacrificially so.If the hooks damaged after unhooking, well it gets chucked and a new one tied in its place.
Bear in mind the issue of straightened hooks in general is largely down to them not being set correctly in the 1st place.Most hooks can be opened out in the hand by sheer finger pressure! if you do it the right way, however set them down to the bend as they should be set and its a different matter..
Maybe getting Salar to take our flee's in a right manner(good positive takes!) will alleviate poor hook holds.Some of Rotenone' s thinking on his flee's may well guide here!.
Little fresh thinking perhaps?.
Pedro.

Loxie

Reaction score
Partridge for me too, a great lover of the X1 and the sadly discontinued X4 too.
I'll also second the Guideline terrible's too, well apart from the price that is!.
Careful in what you ask for in a strong treble.Modern rods are a lot lighter in the tip than they used to be and certainly getting shorter too!, I'd question the need for a really strong terrible in the UK, and certainly question the ability of these "strong" hooks to be consistently "set" correctly.
I've still a good few Rob Wilson extra strong terrible's by Partridge in my kit, when I line them up with say an equal size 12 X1, they indeed look strong, but nesscessary?.
My approach revolves around smaller lighter demon sharp hooks, even sacrificially so.If the hooks damaged after unhooking, well it gets chucked and a new one tied in its place.
Bear in mind the issue of straightened hooks in general is largely down to them not being set correctly in the 1st place.Most hooks can be opened out in the hand by sheer finger pressure! if you do it the right way, however set them down to the bend as they should be set and its a different matter..
Maybe getting Salar to take our flee's in a right manner(good positive takes!) will alleviate poor hook holds.Some of Rotenone' s thinking on his flee's may well guide here!.
Little fresh thinking perhaps?.
Pedro.
Funnily enough I think it comes back to balance. Big stiff rods need bigger hooks to stop them being ripped out and light through actioned rods need smaller lighter hooks. In general I think small sharp trebles hook much better. I also think moving the fly quickly leads to much more positive takes (I also think it leads to more takes but that's a different topic). If you try a grab a 14 B990 out of a box you will see why I like them.

I like a bit of bend too. Some of the old partridges were very strong but brittle, whereas the 990's will bend a bit. I find a 14 will bend out before my 12lb Nitlon will so I don't loose many flies either.

I hardly use heavy rods at all these days. In very heavy water I'll use an Airflo nantec switch in 8 wt, and I've been using the 6 wt for sunrays but most of my fish are taken on an old 10' 7wt. This rather sets the tone for hook choice.

rotenone

Reaction score
Also check out coarse fishing tackles sections, some of the high quality pike bait hooks are exceptionally strong and very similar to the branded fly ones clearly made in the same factory

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

lowforcefly

Reaction score
I can't speak for terribles, as I don't use them....personal choice ! Haven't done since a young un...and well before it became fashionable not to !:peace:
Sorry Hairy S...have to disagree about Loop doubles....never had one fail....tried owners and straightened them, had Partridge snap on bend... or straighten.... mainly on Low waters...tempering all over place ?
The loops were made by mustad...I believe ?:), and the new ones aren't as well finished on the shank....but ain't failed on me yet ?
I don't know who makes the guidelines....but I can see very little difference between the 3 of them ?
Though I fully expect someone will tell me differently ?:redface:
Tried some small VMC doubles, and even though I still think their old 9031 series was/is the best light pole hook ever, I could straighten them in testing with 6 lb line...still in a drawer somewhere ?:eek:hwell:
One thing that does get me boiling is the number of bought flies, and not cheap ones either, where I have broken one side of the double....now first criteria is what hook is it tied on...and are they genuine ?

Mel....

Rrrr

Reaction score
Has anyone used the vmc micro trebbles in gold ? Been looking for smaller ones and vmc tend to make a good hook but not sure if they are any good. They go down to a size 18 so could be handy.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk