Stripping a collie dog or something similar.

Lee95

Reaction score
What type of salmon pool best suits stripping a collie dog or a sunray as opposed to the traditional down and across method, just curious as I'm not a fly fishing expert but trying to learn. Thanks Lee

phil.b

Reaction score
Most places are good for a sunray ,but when stripping it back vary the speed as they don't always want it fast and letting it swing on it's own can often get good results.I like to fish it on a hover/int line with a 5 or 7ips 10ft tip on the bigger rivers and a floater with 5 or 7ips 5ft tip on smaller rivers.and in the deep pools let the line sink a little a salmon loves chasing a sunray that comes from the bottom in my experiences.

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
Most places are good for a sunray ,but when stripping it back vary the speed as they don't always want it fast and letting it swing on it's own can often get good results.I like to fish it on a hover/int line with a 5 or 7ips 10ft tip on the bigger rivers and a floater with 5 or 7ips 5ft tip on smaller rivers.and in the deep pools let the line sink a little a salmon loves chasing a sunray that comes from the bottom in my experiences.
This is the tackle and range of tactics I’d use and they have worked on all sorts of rivers in different countries throughout the year. I’d only add one small variation. If fishing a very deep pool then 15’ of T17 on a Skagit is a useful if occassional addition to the presentational range. However, to the OP, for the UK I shouldn’t worry about that at this stage.

Good luck

NHP

Loxie

Reaction score
For me a Sunray is a plastic tube that's for surface work. Very often the sunk version is more effective for proper takes but when they are on the surface Sunray it's some of the most exciting fishing there is. It also identifies any players quite well to target with a different approach. I guess it's about what you call a long winged fly as I doubt a salmon cares very much whether you describe it as a Collie Dog, Sunray or Monkey but for me a Monkey is for sunken tactics and a Sunray for surface. As such I tie a Sunray quite simply with a natural polar bear underwing and monkey on top, and a Monkey with little more embellishments like a throat hackle and JC and a bit more flash. The main difference is I tie one on plastic and the other on a bottle tube.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Best place ive found is pools with faster water in the middle, i dont mend and as the fly rises in the water and speeds up they seem to have it.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

mc andy

Reaction score
Brilliant advice here, only thing I'd add is you can use other flies to fish in this style with success, doesn't have so be set in stone it's a monkey or collie.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Seems a bit harsh if that is directed at every respondent! I can't see any reply on this thread that is not sensible and good starting point advice to the OP who specifically makes the point they are at the starting point?

Regards

NHP
I was frapped (I think that's the term used) by my mate 😂