Strangest thing youve seen fishing?

HOWKEMOOT

Reaction score
Many years ago stood on a bridge over the Spey watching an angler play a large energetic fish on the fly. Eventually fish comes into the opposite bank ?? ghillie nips up and over the bridge with net. Ghillie nets a large fish and tells the guest to relax, instantly the rod is almost ripped out of his hands, the ghillie had netted a partner fish ! Original fish is landed on home bank, can't remember if the first was knocked on the head, it was in the days of killing fish.

M

mows

Reaction score
Hooked and played a nice fresh fish of about 9 lb at a small pool bellow the loups.
My mate was with me, and as I was beaching it, he stood on the line.
The fish shook its head and slid back in before I could touch it.
Just as I turned to my mate questioning his parentage.
The fish jumped about 5 foot out of the water straight between us, landing 6 feet up the beach.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Hooked and played a nice fresh fish of about 9 lb at a small pool bellow the loups.
My mate was with me, and as I was beaching it, he stood on the line.
The fish shook its head and slid back in before I could touch it.
Just as I turned to my mate questioning his parentage.
The fish jumped about 5 foot out of the water straight between us, landing 6 feet up the beach.

You have to ask yourself about the self preservation instincts of N Esk fish! A few years ago I hooked a small grilse up the top of Gannochy beat that turned and swam straight towards me, I just raised the rod, wound and kept it coming, it was flapping on the beach in no more than 3 seconds :)

firefly

Reaction score
The strangest thing I've seen fishing was a fox. In winter he came for the trout gathered in the inlet of the frozen lake in front of the house. It didn't take him long to become quite good at it. I kept his swim ice-free when needed. Maybe not what the OP intended, but a very special memory nonetheless.

PETEY

Reaction score
There have been a few memorable moments over the years. I once rose an otter to the dibbled bob fly when fishing on lough Erne. It came out of nowhere and created a mighty slash at the fly just as I was about to lift off and recast. Thankfully, I didn`t hook it. Another time, whilst fishing on Currane , the whole sky turned a weird orange colour. Some sort of atmospheric phenomenon I suppose. There was a bit of fog about also. It was a bit like being in the middle of an orange " pea -souper." I once briefly hooked a seagull on the back cast whilst fly fishing on lough mask / hooked a fishing friend through the eyebrow with a spinner ( he had been messing about behind whilst I was sea fishing off some rocks - we were both about 10 years old). The same friend also managed to hook a gannet on a Toby when we were fishing off one of the moles ( constructions built to stabilise a river mouth) where the Bann enters the Atlantic . Again we were about 10 years old.

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
Was fishing the House Pool on the South Esk early one summer morning and was watching a red squirrel making it's way down the opposite bank. When it got about 40yds below me, it promptly launched itself into the river and swam across, tail held high. It came out on my side and scampered off. Cleary it was part of it's daily routine. Didn't know squirrels could swim until then.

On another occasion, on a sunny but cold day in March, I was fishing on the North Esk. There was an old fellow, George, who always fished the devon. I was wandering down the bank and bumped into him He was rather disconsolate as a fish had just broken him off by rubbing on a rock ledge.

Anyway, we parted company and I waded in to the next pool to fish. About halfway down the pool, as the fly was in midswing, it just seemed to pause momentarily. A step down, another cast and the same thing but slightly longer. This went on for a few casts until the fly eventually just stopped clearly stuck on something. I handlined in to find my fly attached to some mono. Right thinks I, get tis would up and out of the river. There was quite a bit of it as I was winding it round my hand. Eventually it tightened and I'm thinking 'stuck on the bottom'. Then the bottom moved -it was a fish! A very well behaved one at that!! I gave it some slack,cut the mono Keeping a few turns round my hand, snipped off my fly and knotted my leader to the mono. All this time the fish just sat there Got the whole lot wound on to my reel and the minute I bent into the fish a silver torpedo broke the surface. Played the fish with no further drama, landed it, remove the devon trace from it's mouth and slipped it back. Lovely fish about 14lbs.

I wandered up to the hut and reunited George with his trace - he couldn't believe it until I showed him the photo.

glenelg100

Reaction score
Many years ago I was fishing for codling off the red rocks near Wemyss Bay. While sitting on the rocks I heard a bit of noise , when I looked round a diver came plodding out the water , flippers mask the lot, carrying a string bag with big crabs clams etc in it, I nearly crapped myself

Rrrr

Reaction score
Fishing the Coquet in October with my brother when the hunt came by, hounds swimming around my brother howling, was quite a sight
Wait untill you encounter a horse when night fishing on the coquet

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

lefthandup

Reaction score
Not strange.........When we were young we used to poach the salmon at the back end usually by running onto either Edington cauld or the then Dexter's cauld on the Whiteadder.

I remember one Sunday at Edington in high water ..a salmon taking the cauld and my mate tearing onto the structure with his gaff only to be instantly knock off his feet by the force of the water.... despite the danger he was in we were rolling about the bank laughing as he bobbed into the deep pool below and caught the bank at his out point.

Same cauld different day...quite a walk back up to the village and with a salmon stuffed down the waders the last person you want to meet on the road is the bailiff's jeep.
Brakes on and I'm off over the school fence heading towards the village and my home...bailiff Vietch in hot pursuit ?.....having waders on its not long before he starts to gain ground.... luckily I make it to the village and there's a kid on a wee bike.

Almost at heart attack stage by this time and Mr V within 15 yards ...I desperately ask the kid for a lend of his small bike... luckily we were on a hill and I took the bike and freewheeled about 30 odd yards down the hill to freedom...laid the bike down and my persue'r had given up .

Last edited:

mows

Reaction score
Many years ago I was fishing for codling off the red rocks near Wemyss Bay. While sitting on the rocks I heard a bit of noise , when I looked round a diver came plodding out the water , flippers mask the lot, carrying a string bag with big crabs clams etc in it, I nearly crapped myself
You sure it wasn't Ursula Andress.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
May 2015 fishing down a nice Ribble fly run after the elusive Ribble springer when I got to the foot bridge a suicide jumper threw himself off the bridge into the flooded river. He got washed down and bobbed under a few times before myself and a friend went down after him , managed t grab him and carry him up a 15foot embankment and called emergency services. He was an elderly man with mental health issues claiming hed killed his mum. My grandma said as I saved his life I'd be rewarded with a Ribble Springer somthing I'd never done on fly. Next 2weeks I had 5 between 8lbs and 20lbs... never had one since..

Loxie

Reaction score
You have to ask yourself about the self preservation instincts of N Esk fish! A few years ago I hooked a small grilse up the top of Gannochy beat that turned and swam straight towards me, I just raised the rod, wound and kept it coming, it was flapping on the beach in no more than 3 seconds :)

I had a salmon did a simelar thing once. It took the fly then jumped straight up on to the bank. I recon maybe 5 seconds from take to land.

The cow took longer!!!!

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I had a salmon did a simelar thing once. It took the fly then jumped straight up on to the bank. I recon maybe 5 seconds from take to land.

The cow took longer!!!!
Similar thing happened to my pal. She hooked a cracking springer at Pitlochry port na Craig side every bit 18lb. It was on the slab rock bit and at that height there's a rock sticks out with not far off the bank. After playing it for 5 mins or so it took a massive run straight towards her and chose the wrong side of the builder closest to the bank where it narrows and gets shallower and just fired right up the bank.
Job done just like that.
Was a good laugh watching her she's only 5'2" trying to hold this massive fish for a pic as it was her first salmon after 2cyears of trying hard. It was still full of energy and pretty much battered her :LOL:
She had both arms under the fish and it was flapping like mad. Was pretty funny. Fish went back like rocket

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I
There's something I've often wondered about, not as interesting or funny as above stories But I have wondered if any body else seen it. think it was three summers ago either last Saturday in june or first Saturday in july around 0.30am coming back from sea trout fishing. looking south west from south west Scotland. way way up in the sky I saw a very bright light slowly coming down like a Chinese lantern with spotlight on it up high then all of a sudden it shot of faster than a bullet across the sky at 90 degrees from its original coarse for a few seconds before disappearing in the sky.

I took it to be a shooting star coming straight towards us to begin with which would explain the slowness when I first saw it and then perhaps bouncing of the earths atmosphere. at the time I tried to read about them and as far as i could find out apparently shooting stars don't behave like that. well this one did. I certainly don't think it was a alien coming to earth to do a handbrake turn. Must have been a rare event I think. perhaps not.
I too have seen something similar. Me and the now wife were driving along Glen Quaich past loch Freuchie up past Dunkeld area and observed a silver ball flying erratically up the Glen. We followed it for miles before it zipped off at mega speed.
Who knows

Last edited:

scotsmac1

Reaction score
Fishing for Trout, and getting a take on backcast in the air. Bat time, same time the evening trout rise. So for fast release, I used the Heel of my boot method, unfortunately it didnt fly ohh swim away.

Rennie

Reaction score
Had a bat swimming upstream towards me, looked like the Dosal fin of a Great White in the 1/2 light!.Seen a white horse in a graveyard not long after midnight while out Sea Trouting!. My pal had a football floating round in the big eddy next to his feet on a flooded river Trent one day, only it wasn't a football but the bald head of a guy who'd committed suicide!.Had lightning running along the surface at Fewstone one day as me n me pal cowered behind a dry stone wall.Several times whilst fishing in Denmark had topless girls canoe past us on the Gudena and in the town of Silkeborg it wasn't uncommon when fishing on the big lakes in town to find nude sunbathers behind you as you tried to fish!..
Scariest of the lot?, in Northern Ireland at the height of the troubles, had a rest day from the matches and fished the Ballinamallard river for a day.We heard gunshots quite regular all day long, and when went to drive home that evening, there were bullet holes in the road signs where we'd parked!.
Pedro.

Last edited:

Gauldalen

Reaction score
My most funny and extraordinary experience I have had in my sixty four years of salmonides fishing, happened the first time I fished the Irigoyen, in the Southern part of Patagonia. As part of our daily routine chasing gorgeous seatrouts, when we fished the bottom part of the river, the guides would recommend us to fish the river mouth, where there were good chances of fighting and catching some heavy local sea barbel on the fly! The first day of my week, when I started fishing this stretch, I was amazed to see a penguin coming to me and following me! As I am not fluent in Penguin language, I had difficulties to grasp what he was saying, but he just followed me all the time I was there and this experience was repeated every day, the funniest thing being that he was even more excited than me when I met a fish! But the guides told me that these penguins were not feeding on this sort of fish, so his excitement must have been to watch and follow the catch! Extraordinary experience for me among many others in this wonderful part of the world!

D

Dunbar

Not strange.........When we were young we used to poach the salmon at the back end usually by running onto either Edington cauld or the then Dexter's cauld on the Whiteadder.

I remember one Sunday at Edington in high water ..a salmon taking the cauld and my mate tearing onto the structure with his gaff only to be instantly knock off his feet by the force of the water.... despite the danger he was in we were rolling about the bank laughing as he bobbed into the deep pool below and caught the bank at his out point.

Same cauld different day...quite a walk back up to the village and with a salmon stuffed down the waders the last person you want to meet on the road is the bailiff's jeep.
Brakes on and I'm off over the school fence heading towards the village and my home...bailiff Vietch in hot pursuit ?.....having waders on its not long before he starts to gain ground.... luckily I make it to the village and there's a kid on a wee bike.

Almost at heart attack stage by this time and Mr V within 15 yards ...I desperately ask the kid for a lend of his small bike... luckily we were on a hill and I took the bike and freewheeled about 30 odd yards down the hill to freedom...laid the bike down and my persue'r had given up .

Hehe! Andrew Veitch. Long retired now. I bought a rod from him last year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flappy

Reaction score
There's something I've often wondered about, not as interesting or funny as above stories But I have wondered if any body else seen it. think it was three summers ago either last Saturday in june or first Saturday in july around 0.30am coming back from sea trout fishing. looking south west from south west Scotland. way way up in the sky I saw a very bright light slowly coming down like a Chinese lantern with spotlight on it up high then all of a sudden it shot of faster than a bullet across the sky at 90 degrees from its original coarse for a few seconds before disappearing in the sky.

I took it to be a shooting star coming straight towards us to begin with which would explain the slowness when I first saw it and then perhaps bouncing of the earths atmosphere. at the time I tried to read about them and as far as i could find out apparently shooting stars don't behave like that. well this one did. I certainly don't think it was a alien coming to earth to do a handbrake turn. Must have been a rare event I think. perhaps not.
I saw such a thing last month...a bright big orange light..travelling fast across the sky.....it hovered above us...then slowly moved...the light got dimmer..and dimmer..until you couldn’t see it any more...

Richardgw

Reaction score
Fishing the Usk at Newbridge a few years ago when Gwent Otter Hounds were ‘exercising!!’

All morning I heard the sound of the horn getting closer and closer. Then on hooking a fish a large hound appeared on the gravel beside me looking intently at the disturbance. I remember telling the hound ‘don’t you dare’. Within a couple of minutes the Hound Master in full livery burst on to the gravels just as I was netting the fish and on seeing me said ‘Sorry to disturb you sir, Oh that’s a nice fish’. It was somewhat stale salmon about 8 lbs that I quickly returned.

Unknown to me the whole episode had been witnessed from the bridge by a big crowd including the river keeper who looked for me carrying the fish as I walked on to the bridge, as he hadn’t seen the release.

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
A salmon on the end of my rod on an actual fly in my actual net what I actually caught! Very strange...... haha

Jim Elie

Reaction score
Mann’s Mountain, New Brunswick in salmon season
Years ago, I had the misfortune of hooking a 50 pounder while Spey fishing for salmon at last light on the Cascapedia....after a good fight that involved running down stream after it, I was stunned when I led it to the net and it turned out to be an angry beaver hooked in the ass. Fortunately, the size 4 Black Dose pulled out as the beaver continued the fight onshore, scattering my guide and fishing partner. Needless to say, I was the “butt” of the bar room humour celebrating my catch which was considered to have been beached.