Strangest thing youve seen fishing?

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Inspired by the also weird and wonderful thread.
What is the strangest thing youve seen fishing?
Can be fishing related or anything from a naked kayaker to a ufo to a ghost. Anything you thought was strange is fair game.
I will start off with a fishing one.
Sitting happily fishing away in my wee boat when it was moored on loch Tay I was looking into the water and seen a jack pike of around 4lb.
What I couldn't understand was how it was moving through the water side ways. It was moving forward but side on.
It took a good few puzzled seconds to notice a big black horseshoe shape over the middle of it. On further inspection the horseshoe was infact the tip of the nose of massive pike as long as my boat was wide.
I've seen some massive salmon spending most my time growing up around the Tay but the biggest fish bar maybe that dying salmon my son seen that I mistook for a tree have been pike in loch Tay. That one there and another even bigger off the bridge at Kenmore. It was a huge log with BIG yellow eyes.

D

Deleted member 21259

I was once sat on the grass outside the bothie at Wetheral. We were having lunch sat in the sun as the sandmartins flew low sweeps over the Eden picking up insects. A sparrowhawk swooped down and cracked a young ssndmartin on the back of the neck with its claws. The sandmartin dropped into the river and disappeared. The sparrowhawk backed off apparently confused about the loss of its meal. Flew round in a circle twice and then back into the sky and flew away. 15ft downstream the young sandmartin emerged from the river looking extremely shocked but unhurt. It took back to the sky and carried on catching and eating flylife. Had I not seen it with my own eyes I would never have believed it.

Rrrr

Reaction score
A hare top itself. I was fishing down a pool and seen it hop down to the river then hopped straight in and was splashing about. I was just standing videoing it as i took it for granted that it knew what it was doing as id never seen a swimming hare before.
Turns out they cant swim after all and by the time id realised and walked down to get it out with the net it was knackerd.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I worked in Virginia in the US for a year (2009). Rather than spend my time drinking -I snowboarded in winter then I decided to work out how and where to fly fish - got all the licences etc (78 dollars for access with forestry permissions to 2000 miles + of rivers. And then got a book on Virginian Fishing rivers and started ticking them off. River Fishing in the US was amazing - brook trout, trout, small mouth bass, sun fish, pan fish - - even a monster cat fish - amazing rivers - mossy creek, south river,rapidan, rappahannock - streams in the blue ridge mountains - the River Jackson - stunning. I also got in touch with a guy called Steve Moore when I found a Virginian fishing blog (turns out he was a ex US army - the film ‘we were soldiers ‘ was written by his Dad Hal Moore (Lieutenant General) - was colonel of the 9th infantry and mastered helicopter fighting in Vietnam) - and had a couple of great fishing trips with him to show me a few places.

so, weird and wonderful:
1) fly fishing with Steve Moore and an FBI pal of his - both with chest holsters and guns and Walkie talkies.
2) fishing the River Jackson, middle of nowhere - 3 mile walk in through forest. I’d seen some scratch marks on trees - and when I got my special permission license from Virginia department of game and Inland fisheries they’d sent me a helpful pamphlet on snakes and bears- mostly suggesting Black bears are Ok but suggested buying pepper spray or at least a bear bell- a bell on Velcro to attach to your fly vest - ( to tell the bear that you are coming, and if shy would run off - I always thought it sounded like ‘dinner is ready). I couldn’t get pepper spray so just had the bell. I’ve not often walked miles following a river on rudimentary paths -I had a crappy pay as you go phone with no signal most of the time. I decided to start at what looked an amazing pool, heavily tree lined but a nice fast flow into a deep pool against some rocks that then shallowed against a steep bank. Just as I started there was a crash of undergrowth that startled me - and it was a deer that forded the river at the shallow tail. Gave me a fright, but lovely to see. A couple of minutes later, I could hear another crash of foliage - half expecting to see another deer - a black bear leapt out and sprinted across the river and up the hill. So fast and powerful. My heart was racing -had to have a couple of ciggies- fished quickly and caught nowt and high tailed it further down where it was a bit more open and the path was clearer ( and then proceeded to have a belting days fly fishing for trout
3) fishing the Rapidan in the height of summer (humid, 30+ degrees) - I normally just wet waded - shorts with some cheapo wading boots. I’d waded into a pool a bit deep but looking all the time at the river whilst casting, started to worry a little so I turned round - and there was this big snake lifted up - tongue poking out. Black and white - having read my pamphlet the only poisonous snakes I thought were copperheads ( greenish brown) - but feck me, I just waded straight down as fast as I could, up to my chest and got the feck out of the pool
4) Hunting season. I was fishing the upper Rapidan, again middle of nowhere - and met another fisherman part way though the day - he was wearing a bright orange hat, hi vis vest. We exchanged pleasantries - he was fascinated that I was from the UK and traipsing around fishing. I said how come you are wearing hi vis - and his reply was ‘ it’s hunting season, if I’m wearing this and they shoot me, it’s their fault. If I wasn’t, it would be my fault’!! - so after that I fished the rest of my fishing trips in a bright orange emergency vest over my fly vest!

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I worked in Virginia in the US for a year (2009). Rather than spend my time drinking -I snowboarded in winter then I decided to work out how and where to fly fish - got all the licences etc (78 dollars for access with forestry permissions to 2000 miles + of rivers. And then got a book on Virginian Fishing rivers and started ticking them off. River Fishing in the US was amazing - brook trout, trout, small mouth bass, sun fish, pan fish - - even a monster cat fish - amazing rivers - mossy creek, south river,rapidan, rappahannock - streams in the blue ridge mountains - the River Jackson - stunning. I also got in touch with a guy called Steve Moore when I found a Virginian fishing blog (turns out he was a ex US army - the film ‘we were soldiers ‘ was written by his Dad Hal Moore (Lieutenant General) - was colonel of the 9th infantry and mastered helicopter fighting in Vietnam) - and had a couple of great fishing trips with him to show me a few places.

so, weird and wonderful:
1) fly fishing with Steve Moore and an FBI pal of his - both with chest holsters and guns and Walkie talkies.
2) fishing the River Jackson, middle of nowhere - 3 mile walk in through forest. I’d seen some scratch marks on trees - and when I got my special permission license from Virginia department of game and Inland fisheries they’d sent me a helpful pamphlet on snakes and bears- mostly suggesting Black bears are Ok but suggested buying pepper spray or at least a bear bell- a bell on Velcro to attach to your fly vest - ( to tell the bear that you are coming, and if shy would run off - I always thought it sounded like ‘dinner is ready). I couldn’t get pepper spray so just had the bell. I’ve not often walked miles following a river on rudimentary paths -I had a crappy pay as you go phone with no signal most of the time. I decided to start at what looked an amazing pool, heavily tree lined but a nice fast flow into a deep pool against some rocks that then shallowed against a steep bank. Just as I started there was a crash of undergrowth that startled me - and it was a deer that forded the river at the shallow tail. Gave me a fright, but lovely to see. A couple of minutes later, I could hear another crash of foliage - half expecting to see another deer - a black bear leapt out and sprinted across the river and up the hill. So fast and powerful. My heart was racing -had to have a couple of ciggies- fished quickly and caught nowt and high tailed it further down where it was a bit more open and the path was clearer ( and then proceeded to have a belting days fly fishing for trout
3) fishing the Rapidan in the height of summer (humid, 30+ degrees) - I normally just wet waded - shorts with some cheapo wading boots. I’d waded into a pool a bit deep but looking all the time at the river whilst casting, started to worry a little so I turned round - and there was this big snake lifted up - tongue poking out. Black and white - having read my pamphlet the only poisonous snakes I thought were copperheads ( greenish brown) - but feck me, I just waded straight down as fast as I could, up to my chest and got the feck out of the pool
4) Hunting season. I was fishing the upper Rapidan, again middle of nowhere - and met another fisherman part way though the day - he was wearing a bright orange hat, hi vis vest. We exchanged pleasantries - he was fascinated that I was from the UK and traipsing around fishing. I said how come you are wearing hi vis - and his reply was ‘ it’s hunting season, if I’m wearing this and they shoot me, it’s their fault. If I wasn’t, it would be my fault’!! - so after that I fished the rest of my fishing trips in a bright orange emergency vest over my fly vest!
Superb post Dr.P thanks for the time to post that amazing experiences you've had mate. I was a keen snowboarder until my knees gave up. Also got a speed boat and was a competent wake boarder

Finglas

Reaction score

so, weird and wonderful:

Thanks for taking the time to post that one! Sounds amazing. Hal Moore's son must have had some incredible stories about his father (and of his own I'm sure)?

Jamie

Kype King

Reaction score
I was fishing in the gorge of beat 2 on the Alness with a friend called John Curry years ago and was watching him demonstrate the art of dibbling. Also watching was his black labrador, called Sid. Sid was fanatical about fishing and was keeping a close eye on events from a perch at the top of a cliff overlooking the pool - about 10-12 feet above the water. As John drew his fly across the surface a salmon lunged at it, coming right out of the water. In his excitement Sid lost his balance peering down and fell into the pool right next to where John was standing. There was the most almighty splash that left John absolutely soaked from head to toe - I nearly wet myself laughing!!

Neil W

Reaction score
I used to fish chew valley near Bristol a lot from the boats. One day a very large (height and width) bloke strode onto the floating pontoon jetty with so much gear in his hands and on his shoulder it was very impressive. He strode purposely to his boat and without stopping stepped into the boat...... except he missed and stepped straight into the lake. Massive splash, tsunami wave and he popped up like a cork. Took 4 to drag him out ?

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to post that one! Sounds amazing. Hal Moore's son must have had some incredible stories about his father (and of his own I'm sure)?

Jamie

Jamie
Superb post Dr.P thanks for the time to post that amazing experiences you've had mate. I was a keen snowboarder until my knees gave up. Also got a speed boat and was a competent wake boarder
Here’s a vid of Virginia fishing - in the old days when I made vids:

Yeah - snowboarding took it’s toll on me. Tore the cartilage in my knee - I’m too feckin tall. I was rubbish for ages -then one day it just clicked getting the turns in - nothing like it, but gave it up after knackering knee.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score

Jamie

lol - I was a bit embarrassed as id never heard of or seen ‘we were soldiers’ or aware of the book by his dad. We actually more bitched about work - at the time he was working for IBM and I was with Accenture. But - he had a few funny tales to tell about government and military...

tenet

Reaction score
I used to fish chew valley near Bristol a lot from the boats. One day a very large (height and width) bloke strode onto the floating pontoon jetty with so much gear in his hands and on his shoulder it was very impressive. He strode purposely to his boat and without stopping stepped into the boat...... except he missed and stepped straight into the lake. Massive splash, tsunami wave and he popped up like a cork. Took 4 to drag him out ?
Still the same at Chew, some are like your example - turn up in a Pantechnicon with barrows and all sorts full of kit. Quite amazing.

plumrod

Reaction score
There's something I've often wondered about, not as interesting or funny as above stories But I have wondered if any body else seen it. think it was three summers ago either last Saturday in june or first Saturday in july around 0.30am coming back from sea trout fishing. looking south west from south west Scotland. way way up in the sky I saw a very bright light slowly coming down like a Chinese lantern with spotlight on it up high then all of a sudden it shot of faster than a bullet across the sky at 90 degrees from its original coarse for a few seconds before disappearing in the sky.

I took it to be a shooting star coming straight towards us to begin with which would explain the slowness when I first saw it and then perhaps bouncing of the earths atmosphere. at the time I tried to read about them and as far as i could find out apparently shooting stars don't behave like that. well this one did. I certainly don't think it was a alien coming to earth to do a handbrake turn. Must have been a rare event I think. perhaps not.

Walleye

Reaction score
Similar to above, a bright spot of light while night fishing. This one took a steady but erratic path across the night sky. Definitely not a satellite, definitely not a shooting star or an aircraft. Brighter than the brightest start but a distance. It travelled roughly north to South in the same general direction but jumped from side to side while doing so. We managed to video it on our phones but the video was not good. It disappeared before it got past the horizon. A bit later I realised whatever it was disappeared into the shadow of the earth so the disappearing was no longer a mystery. But the path it took across the sky was just weird and not something I can explain.

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Fishing the gorge at Lazonby on the Eden. Noticed what looked like several cows sitting or lying in the water against the far bank. Looked up and saw more cows hanging from trees that grew out of the cliff face. It was the most distressing scene. Eventually a man absailed down the cliff to euthenise the poor creatures and the whole process took a full day. In the Dukes Head in Armathwaite that evening I got the full story. A herd had been moved into the field above the gorge but flies had got on them and they had stampeded through the fence and gone over the cliff. Terribly sad.

D

Deleted member 21259

I went out one Sunday morning to a beat on the Lune to do some practice for an upcoming assessment. When I arrived the river was in perfect order with about a foot of water on and clear. The keeper said of you think you're practicing today forget it. Get in there and get fishing in anger or at least mild ire. This was end of April and early fish in the Lune are extremely rare. 20 minutes later I landed a spanker of about 14lb. The rod is on the grass while I unhook and return the fish. A herd of moocows had assembled behind me curious about the girly laughter emanating from my now hoarse throat. After the fish made good its escape I turned around to see a black and while munching on the cork on the butt end of my 15ft NRX. It went to John at Meadow Fishery who repaired it for me.

D

Deleted member 21259

Fishing the gorge at Lazonby on the Eden. Noticed what looked like several cows sitting or lying in the water against the far bank. Looked up and saw more cows hanging from trees that grew out of the cliff face. It was the most distressing scene. Eventually a man absailed down the cliff to euthenise the poor creatures and the whole process took a full day. In the Dukes Head in Armathwaite that evening I got the full story. A herd had been moved into the field above the gorge but flies had got on them and they had stampeded through the fence and gone over the cliff. Terribly sad.

That is absolutely terrible. I am really sorry and I didn't post my own cow story to stick 2 fingers up at your own. As I was putting my post together you posted your own :cry:

GN

Reaction score
Many years ago when fishing the river Don as I was sitting on the bank watching the world go by my friend shouted he was into a fish. I grabbed the net and went to his assistance. His rod started to really buckle over and he had to follow it downstream. I told him to take it down into slacker water where I could net it more easily. As it swung towards me it transpired he had liphooked a condom and as he "played" it water blew it up to an almighty size. I told him to land it himself and practice c&r.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Years ago i took up coarse fishing for a couple of years and managed the almost impossible.
I was feeder fishing and had a take, when i got the small carp to the net i realised something wasnt right. My hook was there but not in its mouth.
The fish was trailing about a snapped off rig from someone else and as the fish was after my hookbait my hook had caught on the spring used for retaining paste on the hair rig that the fish was towing about.
All barbless hooks aswel so no idea how it stayed on.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk