Straight Bucktail

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Good Morning all
So after admiring with great enthusiasm, Andrezj's Flamethrower patterns, (take a look, they're great), I am after some straight Bucktail. Mine is Curly, and great for bulky shrimp patterns, however, when trying to tie slender wings on my doubles, its damn near impossible.
Can anybody recommend somewhere I can buy straight from. I obviously need to talk to someone in person to describe what I want, not faceless fleabay.
Cheers

rotenone

Reaction score
Good Morning all
So after admiring with great enthusiasm, Andrezj's Flamethrower patterns, (take a look, they're great), I am after some straight Bucktail. Mine is Curly, and great for bulky shrimp patterns, however, when trying to tie slender wings on my doubles, its damn near impossible.
Can anybody recommend somewhere I can buy straight from. I obviously need to talk to someone in person to describe what I want, not faceless fleabay.
Cheers
Franc and snaelda Sean Stanton os your man

Pubs

Reaction score
The best bucktail you can get is from a company called Big Streamers in Holland. Have a look on their website or message Denis Sanders on facebook and tell him exactly what you are looking for and he will sort you out. His prices are excellent too and his postage rates are very cheap.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Also - You’ll find stiffer straighter stuff down toward the base of the bucktail. It’s one of those things - for Wadds I like straight buck - but for other flies, the curly ‘wavy’ stuff can be nicer for the tail or wing because it’ll tend to be thinner therefore a bit more mobile. You’ll sometimes Also find your buck will straighten a little once wetted through and then dried. I did hear of someone using hair straighteners as well - but Im a bit of a baldy so not buying straighteners to try it out ????

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Trust me if you run buck tail through hair straighteners it’s a different animal.It means you can tie a little more in if required and it stacks a whole lot easier If that’s what you want.
??? As a bald man, my wife is going to be in stitches when I ask for her hair straighteners!
Its happening though!!!
Cheers

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
??? As a bald man, my wife is going to be in stitches when I ask for her hair straighteners!
Its happening though!!!
Cheers
lol ! Good lad. For Christ’s sake, hope they don’t smell like warmed up dead arse fur - so you’ll have to do all your bucktails at once or you’ll not get a second chance of using them. Quick, whilst she’s occupied. ???

gwelsher

Reaction score
Trust me if you run buck tail through hair straighteners it’s a different animal.It means you can tie a little more in if required and it stacks a whole lot easier If that’s what you want.

I bought a mini pair off Ebay for £4 to try this out but not got around to it yet. Do you wet the hair first or any other prep required for best results?
I have FnS tails and the hair is fairly fine but straight it ain't.

wormo

Reaction score
exactly what I was gonna say , turns even rough hair into usable , great on a variety especially squirrel and opossum

wormo

Reaction score
I bought a mini pair off Ebay for £4 to try this out but not got around to it yet. Do you wet the hair first or any other prep required for best results?
I have FnS tails and the hair is fairly fine but straight it ain't.
don't wet it and keep it level otherwise u can put a curve in it

C3OLIN

Reaction score
Got a a pair of straighteners from the sale isle at Tesco for £7.50. Thought was better than breaking the wife’s as they were over £100 and would have got me in serious black hole!!
Tying long wing Willie Guns on tubes etc look so much better and I now use straightened buck tail under arctic fox to support/lift it and it also helps to stop arctic fox wrapping around the tube.Adds another dimension.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Would anyone know how you go about straightening bucktail with an iron too? I wouldn't risk my wife's hair straighteners ?

westie4566

Reaction score
Would anyone know how you go about straightening bucktail with an iron too? I wouldn't risk my wife's hair straighteners ?

I've tried the iron in the past but didn't have much success with it.

Joined the 'dark side' a few back and bought straighteners (more for doing welded loops). Have to say that they're brilliant on bucktail!

I did have a white Wapsi bucktail delivered yesterday and it's pretty straight, soft and fine. Quiet impressed.

gwelsher

Reaction score

Buy a pair of these for £3. Just the job (y)