starting out

pnut123

Reaction score
good morning new here, looking for advice on what rod/reel/line combo to start with.

i was looking at the 15ft shakespeare orical would this be a good starting rod,
what line would match well for the rod and for a novice to double handed rods

Troosers Too

Reaction score
Pnut,

Since no-one more experienced has jumped in, I'll kick off.
It'll rather depend where you are going to fish. A lot of people are moving away from 15' rods to something shorter. 15' rods are long & require more space to cast, so if you're on a smaller river or somewhere with little room for the back cast, they'll be a pain. That said the Oracles are good rods for the price, as are the Oracle lines and reels. For a first rod, I'd say you're looking in exactly the right place. They are pleasant to cast and robust enough to cope with some ham-fisted slashing (I should know). If you're properly bitten by the bug, you'll want to buy more rods & lines anyway and if you decide it ain't for you, your initial outlay won't be too much

Speak to the sales guys at John Norris. They'll be a big help and will point you in the direction of the right length of rod.

Hopefully someone far better qualified than me will be along shortly to give you a bit more input.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Shakey oracle's are great rods for their price.
Like troosers said size of rod depends solely on size of river you are fishing.
The airflo airtech reels are decent budget reels too.

pnut123

Reaction score
thanks guy i was just looking into the rods abit more, apparintly the scandi 14.9ft is a more all rounder rod that will acomidate a shooting head or a spey line.
the rivers im hopeing to fish are fairly tight for room in parts and opening up a fair bit down river

mc andy

Reaction score
thanks guy i was just looking into the rods abit more, apparintly the scandi 14.9ft is a more all rounder rod that will acomidate a shooting head or a spey line.
the rivers im hopeing to fish are fairly tight for room in parts and opening up a fair bit down river
But what rivers? A name will help.

Cheers andy

Jock

Reaction score
The current range of shakey double handers is a very good starting point. Do you need a 15' version? These days the longest rod I fish with is a 13 9" shakey exp. and that is reserved for deep wading. Usually I am found casting a 12 9" exp or shorter. Of the shakey range I prefer the 6 piece exp over the 4 piece scandi over the spey but they all cast a wide range of lines. If looking for a cheap line then a John Norris integrated shooting head is a good starting point. With regards to reels there are many suitable just depends on your budget. One important point regarding reels however is does it balance the rod? Not an issue with shorter rods but if you are going for a rod over say 13' then it makes it less tiring to have a heavier reel to balance the longer rod as the fly swings round without the rod feeling tip heavy. Hope that helps. I have added a couple of video clips of a 12' oracle spey and a 12 9" exp with various lines dont have any footage of the longer 15 spey

wormo

Reaction score
I'd suggest a shakey oracle 12'9 as a general all round rod paired up with a gaelforce esss switch short spey line in size #8/9 , the reel is up to you anything in the 9/10 size with backing should suit
you can't go wrong with that line , its integrated so no problems with running lines and its a joy to use , and it seems to work on a great many different rods , id go as far to say finding the right line is more important than the rod
hope this helps

colliedog01

Reaction score
I don’t see a need personally for a 15’ rod unless the river is huge, like some rivers in Norway etc. I use a 13-14 foot rod and find that it is more than enough, unless the stretch of river you’re going to be fishing is very wide

WillowMan

Reaction score
I can see why you initially were looking at a rod of 15 ft in length as that used to be the default size for most of us.
However technology has allowed for rods to become more advanced along with the type of lines used on them it now means that anglers can still cast a great distance using a shorter rod and modern style line.
I would buy a rod around 13 ft in length and paired with a good solid reel and decent line this should give you a good footing into the world of double handed salmon fly fishing.
As to which rod you should buy will depend upon the rod that suits you the most.
There are plenty of good offerings for reasonable money and it is just down to trying some before you decide on one.
The choice of rod will determine the line that you pair with it.
Shakespeare rods are great for the novice and a used reel such as a Magnum 200d with a decent paired line would see you on the water for little outlay.

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Seen a guy on eBay was selling a brand new shakey 11 footer that was brand new,still with the plastic over the cork and it came in a tube,he was looking £50 for it,asked him if he would accept £40 he said he would.It arrived 4 days later,set it up in the living room there and then,what a belter of a rod for the price,it pays to check about before you head to the big sellers,have you seen lately what people are getting rid of because of lockdown 😱great gear to be had all over the place.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Seen a guy on eBay was selling a brand new shakey 11 footer that was brand new,still with the plastic over the cork and it came in a tube,he was looking £50 for it,asked him if he would accept £40 he said he would.It arrived 4 days later,set it up in the living room there and then,what a belter of a rod for the price,it pays to check about before you head to the big sellers,have you seen lately what people are getting rid of because of lockdown 😱great gear to be had all over the place.
I'm dead annoyed by that scandi I saw on ebay 😂 I'd been searching for a 2nd hand one for the last month if not 2, and finally said **** it and bought new, cos I needed to get a spinning rod anyway... 2 days later JN emails me a 20% discount code just as the rods are coming through the door... then on Monday, I see this 2nd hand one come up 🤣

love my shakey 11... what weight did you get, and what line have you got planned for it?

jimmythefish

Reaction score
I'm dead annoyed by that scandi I saw on ebay 😂 I'd been searching for a 2nd hand one for the last month if not 2, and finally said **** it and bought new, cos I needed to get a spinning rod anyway... 2 days later JN emails me a 20% discount code just as the rods are coming through the door... then on Monday, I see this 2nd hand one come up 🤣

love my shakey 11... what weight did you get, and what line have you got planned for it?
Hiya Chris mate,Firstly Chris please except my profound apologies bud,as I’m only seeing your post now,so I got the 8/9 weight and use a “8 weight, wychwood Little Dipper sink tip line,with a 10 foot polyleader on it and 3 feet of fishing line” ( leader) which is Maxima chameleon 15 LB ,breaking strain,took a 16 lb er on it Chris,it’s by far the best leader in my humble opinion to use and me and auld tam won’t use anything else. The fly line comes in at around the £28 spot,though shopping around it can go to £35 to £23 ! Anyway Chris sure get back to me bud should you want any more info......tight lines... jimmy