Start for grandson - trout - grayling

Lynnzer

Reaction score
Sorted my previous. S.A. got back to me to explain.

NOW. Waders : I bought a pair of chest waders a few years ago. Thought I'd venture into deeper waters.
Anyway they were a complete disaster. Typical thick neoprene welded on top of wellington style boots.
Problem arose within a couple of minutes. The fit was fine size-wise but the top of the boots chaffed away the skin on my calfs until they were running red blood. I lost loads of skin and the back of the calfs are still coloured darker than the rest of the leg. I had scarring for a good few months.
So I won't be using those waders again, or any that have calf high boots.

I'm told that I need breathable. Thinner and easier to wear. I don't really need the insulation of thick neoprene. I can wear long johns if needed. But I have no knowledge of their suitability. I would just love to visit an angling shop to try some on and get advice on correct fit etc but obviously can't.
It seems to me from the various images I find that the breathable or stocking foot waders are open at the foot, ie would allow water ingress. Is that correct or are they full fitting onto the feet? Naturally if they are open footed I may not like the idea of wet legs.
I'm also told that they would need boots to go with them.
Like I said I have no idea on these things so if anyone can give an opinion I'd appreciate it.
Any on here that might be OK?

Lynnzer

Reaction score
NOW. Waders : I bought a pair of chest waders a few years ago. Thought I'd venture into deeper waters.
Anyway they were a complete disaster. Typical thick neoprene welded on top of wellington style boots.
Problem arose within a couple of minutes. The fit was fine size-wise but the top of the boots chaffed away the skin on my calfs until they were running red blood. I lost loads of skin and the back of the calfs are still coloured darker than the rest of the leg. I had scarring for a good few months.

I'm told that I need breathable. Thinner and easier to wear. I don't really need the insulation of thick neoprene. I can wear long johns if needed. But I have no knowledge of their suitability. I would just love to visit an angling shop to try some on and get advice on correct fit etc but obviously can't.
It seems to me from the various images I find that the breathable or stocking foot waders are open at the foot, ie would allow water ingress. Is that correct or are they full fitting onto the feet? Naturally if they are open footed I may not like the idea of wet legs. Well that little assumption is clearly so wrong. I have since watched Youtube videos on breathables and I feel a bit of a fool for asking such a stupid question now.
I'm also told that they would need boots to go with them. It looks as if some of them actually come as a complete set
Like I said I have no idea on these things so if anyone can give an opinion I'd appreciate it. A pointer to something not way out of range pricewise would be welcome. The previous link has some by what I would consider to be pretty reputable companies such as Daiwa.

Walleye

Reaction score
Try Westhouse trout fishing lakes near Bishopton. There are 4 small lakes and a fishing hut if he gets a bit bored.
Most of the time you are sight fishing to cruising rainbow trout without having to cast a long line which should be great for the kid.

Lynnzer

Reaction score
Try Westhouse trout fishing lakes near Bishopton. There are 4 small lakes and a fishing hut if he gets a bit bored.
Most of the time you are sight fishing to cruising rainbow trout without having to cast a long line which should be great for the kid.
Thanks. I think I'll do that.
First though I'll need to get him using the rod as best he can otherwise it'll be hard on him.
Just the weather holding me back on that right now. The fields are as muddy as hell.
Some compensation for it though as we had a flock of around 2 dozen redwing digging around in the front of our house 3 days ago after the frozen ground thawed.

That's not all either. The same morning at 4.17am after a trip to the bathroom I could see directly from our spare bedroom window to the bottom of the street. There's a garden wall there about 5' tall that runs along behind a couple of parked cars in the cul-de-sac then ends behind a garage.
I saw a blue globe about 3' above the pavement that was the sort of blue on police cars. The light moved at a slow speed from left to right and without any joggling around as it would have done had someone been walking with it. It then went between the parked cars and the wall then disappeared behind the garage to the far right. That's where the last houses on the street are. There were no lights on in any of the houses, no doors open and no-one walking about with dogs or anything.
The light was globular and about the size of a soup bowl. It wasn't a reflection as the light would have shown on the sides of the cars instead of disappearing behind them. It wasn't a beam of light either. I can't think of anyone who would be out with a blue light instead of a normal torch, and in any case it really wasn't all that dark.
And it definitely wasn't something used by a person walking by as I would have seen it.
STRANGE............

IMG_20210215_080334-1.jpg

Last edited:

Walleye

Reaction score
Thanks. I think I'll do that.
First though I'll need to get him using the rod as best he can otherwise it'll be hard on him.
Just the weather holding me back on that right now. The fields are as muddy as hell.
Some compensation for it though as we had a flock of around 2 dozen redwing digging around in the front of our house 3 days ago after the frozen ground thawed.

That's not all either. The same morning at 4.17am after a trip to the bathroom I could see directly from our spare bedroom window to the bottom of the street. There's a garden wall there about 5' tall that runs along behind a couple of parked cars in the cul-de-sac then ends behind a garage.
I saw a blue globe about 3' above the pavement that was the sort of blue on police cars. The light moved at a slow speed from left to right and without any joggling around as it would have done had someone been walking with it. It then went between the parked cars and the wall then disappeared behind the garage to the far right. That's where the last houses on the street are. There were no lights on in any of the houses, no doors open and no-one walking about with dogs or anything.
The light was globular and about the size of a soup bowl. It wasn't a reflection as the light would have shown on the sides of the cars instead of disappearing behind them. It wasn't a beam of light either. I can't think of anyone who would be out with a blue light instead of a normal torch, and in any case it really wasn't all that dark.
And it definitely wasn't something used by a person walking by as I would have seen it.
STRANGE............

View attachment 57288
Seen quite a few of those redwing lately.

Lynnzer

Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if the Wear is the best place for fishing now.
I'm reading other posts and it seems to me that the river is as good as dead to game fish, especially brown trout.
All the time I fished as a kid I never once caught anything other than brownies and minnows using all methods of legering, spinning, free worming and fly fishing. I never even heard of other species inhabiting the river either but it seems that just about every fish caught nowadays is a coarse fish and I did catch chub, perch, dace, barbel etc the last time I was at Durham free stretch around 7 years ago, but no brownies.
I knew the Town Stretch very well when I was a kid, and in fact caught my largest brownie in the feeder canal leading from the dam to the waterworks. That's gone now of course but the Batts was another spot I fished regularly and it produced good sport most days.
I also liked the mid sections of river around Witton le Wear - Witton Park ( I lived in St Helens) and caught some decent fish from the small weir just after the road bridge in Witton Park. I had intended to make that stretch one of my 1st spots. Are these mid stretches still OK?
The post linked above seems to suggest that the river has suffered a massive depletion of fish.
If that's the case then I can't see sense in fishing it.
I also go sea fishing, or did a few years ago until sciatica or perhaps just old age deterioration in my upper torso made casting difficult but even sea fishing wasn't producing much except in mackerel season. It became more a case of going out to enjoy just being out, rather than catching fish.
Anyway, Wear or elsewhere? The Derwent is supposed to be OK but any info would be welcome.

Walleye

Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if the Wear is the best place for fishing now.
I'm reading other posts and it seems to me that the river is as good as dead to game fish, especially brown trout.
All the time I fished as a kid I never once caught anything other than brownies and minnows using all methods of legering, spinning, free worming and fly fishing. I never even heard of other species inhabiting the river either but it seems that just about every fish caught nowadays is a coarse fish and I did catch chub, perch, dace, barbel etc the last time I was at Durham free stretch around 7 years ago, but no brownies.
I knew the Town Stretch very well when I was a kid, and in fact caught my largest brownie in the feeder canal leading from the dam to the waterworks. That's gone now of course but the Batts was another spot I fished regularly and it produced good sport most days.
I also liked the mid sections of river around Witton le Wear - Witton Park ( I lived in St Helens) and caught some decent fish from the small weir just after the road bridge in Witton Park. I had intended to make that stretch one of my 1st spots. Are these mid stretches still OK?
The post linked above seems to suggest that the river has suffered a massive depletion of fish.
If that's the case then I can't see sense in fishing it.
I also go sea fishing, or did a few years ago until sciatica or perhaps just old age deterioration in my upper torso made casting difficult but even sea fishing wasn't producing much except in mackerel season. It became more a case of going out to enjoy just being out, rather than catching fish.
Anyway, Wear or elsewhere? The Derwent is supposed to be OK but any info would be welcome.
If I was trying to get a young kid into fishing I wouldn't start with trout fishing on the Wear. There are of course plenty of fish around but it is nowhere near as good as it was. The fly life is not as prolific as it once was - I think most of the trout get fat on the midges early doors and lie up the rest of the day.

Grassholme is decent. You can bait fish there and teach him to cast a fly.
Westhouse lakes is good for sight fishing- it will definitely keep him interested but is fly only.

I started my kids at Grassholme to get them interested in fishing. A day out with me and their uncles, a little bivvy, plenty of bank to explore, they can leave their rod if they like and still catch fish while rooting around looking for little creatures or fossils. If it was slow, I would tell them fishing stories about a river where fish were difficult to catch because they are truly wild creatures but they grow to sizes you couldn't imagine. A place where it takes incredible skill, stealth and patience but the reward might be the biggest fish you've ever seen. I told them stories of fish I'd caught, how I'd caught them but set expectations- you might fish all season without catching a fish etc etc....

By the time I started taking my son out on the river he was already hooked but he wasn't expecting to catch a fish every half hour.

I remember my daughter's first time ever fishing at grassholme. I set her rod up first, cast it out and she sat down to watch it. I turned around to set up my son's rod. About 30 seconds later I heard her " Daaaa-aad, I think there is something wrong". Well I turned around in a flash looking at the rod to see if she had a fish on but there was definitely no fish on. I asked what was wrong and she replied "I haven't caught anything yet".

Lynnzer

Reaction score
I tend to think that might be a good place to start.
At least it's open to legering and spinning if fly fishing isn't easy due to weather conditions.
I went to school at Barnard Castle and had a girlfriend in Middleton in Teasdale so know what the weather can be like up and over from there.

I'd still like him to do some river fishing though. I think it's important to not just stand on a bankside and fish.
There's nothing to beat the satisfaction of stalking out fish in a river or stream and actually hunting them down in likely spots.
So is the stretch around Witton still fine or is it also pretty devoid of brown trout? I'm not yet up to sea trout and salmon. He must first learn to fish for brownies.