Stacked Tube Flies

tcorfey

Reaction score
I did a search and did not see this concept of stacking Tubes before. I was reading on this and experimenting. I think it has some value.

Tubes I tied using one color, Materials are Pro Sportfisher Flexitube, Orange, Blue, and Pink FinnRacoon, Yellow Arctic Fox, Green and White Craft Fur, and Black Icelandic Sheep. I plan to make some others in various colors of Marabou and others using flash material, then mix and match colors on the river as needed.

Theses are what I tied...

IMG_1359.jpg

For examples these are what I joined together...
IMG_1360.jpg

I thought it was a cool concept so I thought I would share...

Regards,

Tim C.

Last edited:

gwelsher

Reaction score
It's not a new idea. I posted some year ago about this years ago which concentrated on heads and tails but I also use different body/wing parts. It is not my idea various other people have posted on it.

Tube Add Cone & Hackle.jpgTube Add Cone & Hackle1.jpg

Attachments

• Tube Add Cone & Wing.jpg
    Tube Add Cone & Wing.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Tube Add Hackle.jpg
    Tube Add Hackle.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Tube Add Hook.jpg
    Tube Add Hook.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Tube Add Hook1.jpg
    Tube Add Hook1.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Tube Add Muddler.jpg
    Tube Add Muddler.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 19

Jockiescott

Reaction score
It's not a new idea. I posted some year ago about this years ago which concentrated on heads and tails but I also use different body/wing parts. It is not my idea various other people have posted on it.

View attachment 60005View attachment 60006

I knew I'd seen similar on the forum but couldn't remember who'd posted it.

This isn't exactly new as such as things like this have been around since the 1980s.

In the old book by veniards they show "Duo tubes" which is basically one tube fished behind another.

IMG_20210416_204317.jpg

In the description they mention using hackled trebles and the possible combinations being almost limitless.

It's not something I've tried myself. Please let us know if yours are successful. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Oh yes, you are both correct it is not a new idea as I said I was reading about it and just started experimenting with it. With the high quality of tiers on this site I was hoping to present this concept to learn more about tube ties and variations. Gwelsher and Jockiescott thank you for those references.

In the TOTM section DrPatrickT had a tube that seemed to have a smaller tube with a collar fitted into the rear of a larger tube acting as a body and that is what got me researching stacking tubes. I just find this concept fascinating. (I know simple mind, simple pleasures.)

I hope some others can chime in with their experience or ideas I would love to hear about it.

Regards,
Tim C.

gwelsher

Reaction score
There have been various posts about this and articles in magazines. It looks like a lot of old posts were lost when the forum moved software. Try searching on here and in google for names like articulated tubes etc. A mate of mine, Britfisher on here, wrote an article for a magazine some years ago about a component type tube system he had devised.

I mostly have used either head or hook additions to change the look or action of a tube.

tcorfey

Reaction score
GWelsher I did a search on articulated tubes as you suggested, that did lead me to an excellent account of the origins of the Willie Gunn fly. Insprired by that article I tied a variant myself... Thank you for the inspiration.
IMG_1373.jpg