Squeezing in - opportunities in or very close to Reykjavik

Dryfly

Reaction score
I'm in Reykjavik for 4.5 days next week. Seems like a bit of a cock up on the planning side (others are responsible). So, instead of dashing meeting to gathering to seminar etc I could end up with free time. Half day here or there. Certifiably going to be free Saturday morning.

A bit of kit will no doubt accidentally slip into my bag along with a pair of very long waterproof trousers and some heavy 'walking' boots.

Anyone know of any fishing in or very close to Reykjavik that I could access easily at the last minute? Not bothered if its trout or salmon. If it comes to it I could fish in the sea of course.

I've a tame vet (he helps out with Mrs Dryfly when she is poorly) so I can get the disinfection requirements resolved.

Ideally I don't want to have to hire a car. Any suggestions and ideas very welcome. Otherwise it's a very long smooze around the fab tackle shop in town.

Icelander05

Reaction score
You can fish downtown in river Ellidara for salmon, if you can obtain a licence. Check with Reykjavik Angling Club Forsida - SVFR and they might have other Options as well. There are some lakes at the outskirts and lake Thingvallavatn is about one hours drive and I think that it's quite easy to get there by bus. You could take the licence that is valid for around 40 lakes that costs 40,-- dollars and a strech of Thingvalla is included. Certain tour Operators offer half or day tours. Send me a pm if you need contact details. You could also fish in the harbour for cod or pollack.
Icelander05

Dryfly

Reaction score
Thanks Icelander05. Looks like the Kort will be the way to go. I will be able to get to Ellidavatn quickly, which will be an issue and it is suggested it could even hold a few sea trout and salmon.

Any tips on lines and flies? I was thinking 7#, floating line and long leader (midge repellent and head net), traditional Scottish wet flies and some buggy dry flies. Would a nymph or too be sensible too?

Icelander05

Reaction score
I do have a few friends who are fishing the lakes. If there is a wave streamers will work. Nymphwise you should opt for buzzer patterns. But don't Forget your wets. They are some Kind of a secret and a good friend catches most of his fish on Peter Ross and Alexandra Patterns. (imitating the sticklebacks that are present in most lakes)
The Shops in R., i.e. Veidihornid offer a large selection of flies and they surely will help too. At times dries will work too.
Icelander05

Dryfly

Reaction score
Excellent. Now trying to work out bus schedules... that or I'll get a cab to the lakes. The nearest one is about 5km from my hotel so worst comes to the worst I'll walk.

Pity about the weather forecast:rolleyes:

john8

Reaction score
Your other option is Varma near the town of Hveragerdi 40 min bus ride from Reykjavik. River runs right through the middle of this town. It is a river so more interesting than a lake also has larger fish sea trout and brown trout as well as char. This time of year should be decent for sea trout.