Squamish or Miramichi New Brunswick in April/May

JJ

Reaction score
For those of you who know- given a work trip that I can’t move and likely to be end April/May I have a chance to fish either

Squamish system north of Vancouver or
New Brunswick Nova Scotia rivers

I know the species are different in each system ie steelhead or Atlantic’s respectively but if I had a fished week in April or May what would you choose and why?

Any guidance is much appreciated

JJ

JirkaK

Reaction score
I fished Squamish last year in April. It was DIY trip so there was more walking, wading and searching than fishing. But the river and surroundings are magnificent. If you like true wilderness, I think it is great place. However, to fish such a big river without a drift boat and local guide is not easy.

Spey Salar

Reaction score
If you're talking about an April/May Miramichi trip, the fishing would be "spring fishing" which there means fishing for kelts on the way to the sea. I've never done it, but it's popular in New Brunswick, but not to everyone's taste. Fishing is mostly or all from boats. The fresh fish will not arrive until June when the regular season begins. If you decide to go, check the dates for the spring fishing, as I believe the season ends mid-May.

JJ

Reaction score
I fished Squamish last year in April. It was DIY trip so there was more walking, wading and searching than fishing. But the river and surroundings are magnificent. If you like true wilderness, I think it is great place. However, to fish such a big river without a drift boat and local guide is not easy.
I’ve fished it a couple of times too but never seem to be there at the right time! Beautiful place and a privilege to fish there. I don’t mind getting a guide who would you recommend.
Thanks for the speedy reply
JJ

JJ

Reaction score
If you're talking about an April/May Miramichi trip, the fishing would be "spring fishing" which there means fishing for kelts on the way to the sea. I've never done it, but it's popular in New Brunswick, but not to everyone's taste. Fishing is mostly or all from boats. The fresh fish will not arrive until June when the regular season begins. If you decide to go, check the dates for the spring fishing, as I believe the season ends mid-May.
Great advice - that’s not clear on any lodge websites I’ve seen! Yes I’ll steer clear that time of year then thanks a lot
JJ

GeeBee

Reaction score
Steelheading for wild steelhead anywhere is tough without a guide and a boat.

I would always get a guide for a couple of days first and then ask them the best walk in spots near DEC launches, parks etc.

Guides generally wont give up the remoter walk in spots, otherwise they get too well known.

LouisCha

Reaction score
Steelhead spawn in spring so the season may well be closed by then, and if it is then surely it would be fishing for kippers - equivalent to November in Scotland!?

I know that there are some Chinook Salmon that arrive in spring, but April/May might well be too early for them

Last edited:

Marc LeBlanc

Reaction score
Good evening,

While I cannot comment n the Squamish opportunity as I have never been there, as I live 2 hours south of the Miramichi, I can speak to that river system.

Spey Salar is correct. We start fishing for kelts (called spring salmon or black salmon over here) on April 15 assuming the ice is out. The kelts run out to sea over about a 4 week period. If you are here in early May, chances are very high for an incredible experience fishing for kelts if that’s your thing. Personally I have never fished for them but I know many Anglers who enjoy targeting them.

Fresh, sea run salmon start showing up in small numbers in mid to late May, picking NB up in June and July.

Another option if you will be here in mid to late May is off the chart fishing for striped bass. It’s incredible. You can easily catch 30+ fish per day. Fisheries officials estimate between 500,000 and 1 million striped bass enter the Miramichi system in May and range from 2 pounds to 40+ lbs! We fish for them in the lower part of the river where Anglers can use spin gear or flies.

Below is a link to a website that list very reputable Miramichi outfitters.

With this covid-19 thing going on, I suspect your trip will be cancelled or postponed but I offer the above information nonetheless.

Cheers!

Marc

Salmon Fishing Outfitters - Miramichi Salmon Association

Jim Elie

Reaction score
Hi,
I would recommend the Restigouche River in New Brunswick for the last two weeks of May And throughout June. This is when very large Springers enter the river system as the high water of May begins to drop. This is the period I like to fish and I’m going to be there for the last week of May and the first week of June at the Restigouche River Lodge. Most of the 30 pound plus fish are caught during this period
Due to the virus, there have been a lot of cancellations opening up a number of rod weeks allowing anglers an opportunity to fish this private river for trophy salmon which is normally booked years in advance. PM me for further details if you are interested in joining the hunt.

Attachments