Spring salmon

Pati

Reaction score
Hi

Still after my first salmon on the fly...
Unfortunately I can’t afford more than a couple of weekends salmon fishing each year so my quest for salmon on the fly may take years and years!!!

To date I have always organised my salmon fishing weekends in the spring as I have that conception that spring salmon is the holy grail...

Discussing with other anglers, I am now questioning this conception as I seem to be the only one to think a spring salmon is a better catch than a later season salmon (to be clear I m talking about the sport, not about the table: I m not eating fish, just don’t like it!).

I am also told that as a beginner I should target end August/September as it s allegedly easier to catch then...

I d be keen to read other members take on the above...

Thanks

Piker20

Reaction score
Personally I don't think any salmon is harder to catch but it helps at end of the season there are more in the system to catch.

Rennie

Reaction score
Hello Pati, I'm wondering where you're doing your Salmon fishing?. At the moment, you've a very uphill task ahead of you.
Pardon for my line of thought but if its down to brass then I suggest you look to club or association fishing, you should find some good fishing much cheaper than day tickets or booking let beats!, that might enable you to go more often!
To me its common sense if you want to catch fish to go when there's the most fish there!, at the moment I'd say this time of the year is looking good for both quality and numbers, the Autumn runs seem to be on the wane!.
If you are stuck to a couple of times during the year, I'd say prepare as best as you can before you go, do your home work, get your gear well prepped and get some casting lessons, if you can get out on a local pond to at least practise your casting it will help!.
Would help if we knew where and when you fish, maybe where you'd like to fish and the time you could have available to fish, telling us where you live might throw something up too thats more local or convenient.
ATB, Pedro.

charlieH

Reaction score
Yes and no! Spring salmon often seem in fact to be more willing takers, so if you can find one you've probably got a better chance of persuading it to take. But this has to be balanced against the fact that, at the moment, they are generally in quite short supply. Fishing later in the season, if you can get onto a reasonable bit of water, you should have the reassurance of seeing fish and knowing that at least you are fishing over occupied pools - which isn't necessarily the case in spring. And even though the fish may be less willing to take, the numbers of them present probably mean that you've got a better chance of bumping into a daft one.

But it very much varies from river to river, and even from beat to beat. On larger rivers, you'll often find that peak season on the lower river is different from the upper reaches. If you let us know whereabouts you are and what river(s) you fish, there's a fair chance that someone here will be able to give you more detailed advice.

Pati

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the answers. I live in London and don’t have a car so salmon fishing typically means I need to fly to Aberdeen and then rent a car from there. I typically fish the Dee around Park, Inchmarlo etc...