splicing tape

riverwhy

Reaction score
having, on a few occasions when packing up late in the day, struggled to find and unwrap the end of the tape on my rod i was interested to hear of a new material that prevents the rod sections from twisting, but when you come to take the rod apart can just be slid/rolled up the blank and pulled off.Anyone know what that is?

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Self amalgamating tape , in particular ,
3m Scotch 23 tape is the one to use to cure your problem above.

ArchieL

Reaction score
As above , Make sure you do not get the wide rolls as this is harder to put on and get the first turn stretched. Get the 19mm wide stuff, It is good gear and stretches and bites in to further layers of itself. Scotch 3M is one of the best brands and is priced slightly higher as it is cerrtified for use on HV cabling but there are lots of other brand names out there which may do the same job. 1 x roll will last you a good few years so probably best getting the Scotch 3M first time.

mc andy

Reaction score
FYI, amalgamating tape doesn't actually have a gum or stick to things, it only sticks to itself once stretched. So wrap a bed down first, then apply stretched raps over the top.

Last edited:

Jeff

Reaction score
Another vote for Scotch 3M tape, it stretches easily and sticks well. It also comes off without leaving any residue on the rod. One roll lasts a long time and if you’re mean you can always roll in back onto the blank until the next time - not that I would ever dream of doing such a thing.
I tried (and still have) self amalgamating tape but found it harder to put on and that so far as I was concerned there was no benefit compared to the 3M. But each to their own; if it works for you, stick with it.