Spinning the proper way

Greegs

Reaction score
And the ones at Durham I've seen over the decades...big rods, lead core lines, trebles with a feather on. Cast square, count down for a few seconds, haul it back in one fast aggressive motion ready to roll the line out again across the river and start counting again...

It's good. It almost looks just like casting practise. The dead giveaway is the fly has no time at all to fish conventionally. It sinks and then is ripped back in one motion.

I've never seen anyone snatching with a spinning rod. Didn't even know it was done until Taddy mentioned it.

Yip they used to do this on a pool on the water Ayr at Catrine.

Rip the lead core line through the lie to catch anything there.

Also used to tie cod hooks off a plastic bottle & fling it in at the bottom of the dam & the fish hooked itself & they just went in & grabbed the bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simonjh98

Reaction score
For me - water condition depending im usually trying to keep my Flying C within the top foot of the water column. A 5g Flying C and a 10g in Heavy water is what I normally use. Im a fond believer in the fish coming up for your bait and I also present my fly the same way, no deeper than 1 foot is usually my bread and butter

Last edited:

Scierra

Reaction score
For me - water condition depending im usually trying to keep my Flying C within the top foot of the water column. A 5g Flying C and a 10g in Heavy water is water I normally use. Im a fond believer in the fish coming up for your bait and I also present my fly the same way, no deeper than 1 foot is usually my bread and butter
Couldn't agree more (y)in the top 1ft to 2ft 6 ins depending how deep the pool is also in in spates 10/15 gram at max ,bouncing off the riverbed is akin to snatching as stated earlier

Last edited:

Walleye

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more (y)in the top 1ft to 2ft 6 ins depending how deep the pool is also in in spates 10/15 gram at max ,bouncing off the riverbed is akin to snatching as stated earlier
I agree. Ban all weighted flies and heavy sink tips and let's all fish in the top 1 foot like proper sporting fishermen.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Aye right
Blank on the lower Tay - all season.
Lack of experience shown there Walleye, I agree with the above post. You clearly don’t fish in January. There is nothing worse for a ghillie than rowing around or watching some Wally all week who won’t listen. My evidence: 2 guests; October, the listener 25; the top of the water man 1 but caught by the ghillie on the Wally’s intermediate by successive mending to get the fly down - apology received by ghillie on the Sat night for having his time wasted.

Last edited:

Walleye

Reaction score
Lack of experience shown there Walleye, I agree with the above post. You clearly don’t fish in January. There is nothing worse for a ghillie than rowing around or watching some Wally all week who won’t listen. My evidence: 2 guests; October, the listener 25; the top of the water man 1 but caught by the ghillie on the Wally’s intermediate by successive mending to get the fly down - apology received by ghillie on the Sat night for having his time wasted.
It wasn't a serious point. Just like 'fishing a spinner deep is akin to snatching' is also not a serious point.

Scierra

Reaction score
I agree. Ban all weighted flies and heavy sink tips and let's all fish in the top 1 foot like proper sporting fishermen.
Strange above quote that is ? Talk about a change of view ?

When you quote on post no 9 see below

"Get it deep enough. If you are not occasionally bumping the bottom, you aren't fishing deep enough.

Fished upstream, they also fish much deeper than across or downstream which is also why it is more effective upstream. Most of the tips you have already had on here (upstream, across and very slow etc..) will make your C fish deeper.

Walleye

Reaction score
Strange above quote that is ? Talk about a change of view ?

When you quote on post no 9 see below

"Get it deep enough. If you are not occasionally bumping the bottom, you aren't fishing deep enough.

Fished upstream, they also fish much deeper than across or downstream which is also why it is more effective upstream. Most of the tips you have already had on here (upstream, across and very slow etc..) will make your C fish deeper.
No.
You didn't catch the irony in me calling for banning of weighted flies and heavy sink tips?

K MacC

Reaction score
The is another lure that should be considered the floating rapala or megabass vision 110 they fish in the top 3 foot of the water. These are very effective for Salmon and sea trout fished up stream or across and down twitch or jigged in. It's important to vary your retrieve fast,slow, pausing it and fast again. I normally fish it slightly up stream jerking it pause and real back in and repeat.

Meldon9

Reaction score
Cast up and across the water with a fastish retrieve, use mepps of flying cs and you wont go far wrong

rotenone

Reaction score
I found the the differences in terminology used
I wasn’t suggesting false hooking but jagging i.e. bringing the FC ( or Toby for that matter ) down quickly over the lies giving the fish little choice, That is why it’s effective. AG
That's cultural or local differences in salmon fishing for you, where I grew up fishing in Ireland in the Times of the prolific grilse runs "stroke hauling" was the terminology used by poachers who used a large treble with roofing lead wrapped around the shank for weight. The rig would be cast either into known lies blind or an accomolance would climb a tree with Polaroids and give direction
That was in a time when salmon was bought for 1 punt a Pound but some local lived of stroke hauling or at least paid the pub bills with it.