Spinning the proper way

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Out of the 100s of fish I've caught spinning, there has never been any difference with false hooked fish upstream or conventional across tactics like many successful tactics it gets frowned on when it's catching fish, there is no better way to fish the flying c imho, it was the way I was shown how to fish the original ones when they first arrived in Ireland
I wasn’t suggesting false hooking but jagging i.e. bringing the FC ( or Toby for that matter ) down quickly over the lies giving the fish little choice, That is why it’s effective. AG

long Preston

Reaction score
If you

Cast them upstream, kick the blade into action with your rod tip and wind them back faster then the current, fish face upstream it's like pressing someone in the face eventually they snap, spinning with the flying c is much the same way, of course they fish well conventionally but I never do.

A fast action rod is a good idea with flying Cs, when I first started using the orginal French made baits around 1990 most people on my river in Ireland chose to use the light versions 10 or 15 gram with a number 2 blade, we always use to pinch roofing lead on at the swivel believing the smaller lighter lure was more effective.

It's worth searching out the well made versions, Ireland is a good place to find better made flying c lures, some of the hooks on massed produced baitd are extremely poor quality that's another reason to go to a lure maker to buy them
spintec at ribchester produce the best quality Flying C baits on the market bar none-there are a lot of cheap imitations around

Tazzy

Reaction score
Only ever catch one salmon on a flying C and that was fished across and around. In my opinion it's a hard lure to fish correctly, choosing the correct weight to get the lure near to the bottom and to fish it slowly whilst keeping the blade rotating is not easy to master. Could try a floating flying C on a bouncing betty or weight swivel. My favourite method is a floating Devon minnow body(no mount) on 17lb floro carbon leader and a weighted swivel and a bead and single hook fished across and round slow and deep👍

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of your set up so I can give it a try.
That's one thing this forum does do is give the not so successful anglers a different approach 😊
Come to think of it I did have a few floating flying C in my box somewhere !!

Tazzy

Reaction score
Chrishconnolly if you look up floating Devon Minnow or not on previous page I put a picture of my Devon Minnow rig on page 2 of that tread as for using a floating flying C just use a standard three way swivel rig with a foot long dropped to a bouncing betty and a two to three foot leader to the floating flying C but remember that there needs to be enough current to spin the blade🎣

Tazzy

Reaction score
2F8E3FD1-171A-466A-9711-A308596C257D.jpeg

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
Weight is not really heavy enough for the big river stuff tho.
I'm sure it will work on the smaller ones tho.
Maybe a running ledger may work in-between two swivels.

Tazzy

Reaction score
Would have never thought to setup this way, will have to try it out sometime and i like the single hook . what type of swivel is that.
The hook from Spintec size 1 very good hook keeps its sharp point far longer than standard hooks high recommend it. For the swivel the only place that sells the is Amazon just type in weighted swivel no. 3 is about 10grms. No 1.5 is about 4grms

Greegs

Reaction score
A little off topic but has anyone ever used the flicker (fly spoon) to fish for salmon & had any success??

Used it years ago for rainbows & it can be deadly on its day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

astrofox

Reaction score
The hook from Spintec size 1 very good hook keeps its sharp point far longer than standard hooks high recommend it. For the swivel the only place that sells the is Amazon just type in weighted swivel no. 3 is about 10grms. No 1.5 is about 4grms
Perfect Thank's

Walleye

Reaction score
Akin to snatching :(
No, it's not. Not in any way shape or form.
Snatchers use fly fishing gear for a very good reason. It's far easier to snatch and foul hook with the fly.

I've only heard of one person using spinning gear for snatching and that was our very own Taddy, who invented the terminal tackle with the same name. The taddy is nothing like a flying C or any other spinner set up I've ever seen or used and is definitely not spinning the proper way.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
No, it's not. Not in any way shape or form.
Snatchers use fly fishing gear for a very good reason. It's far easier to snatch and foul hook with the fly.

I've only heard of one person using spinning gear for snatching and that was our very own Taddy, who invented the terminal tackle with the same name. The taddy is nothing like a flying C or any other spinner set up I've ever seen or used and is definitely not spinning the proper way.
Sorry Walleye, this is way off beam.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
What is off beam? I didn't say fishing the spinner near the bottom was akin to snatching? Or was I not allowed to respond. Let me know next time.
No stroke hauler in his right mind would seek fly over a spinning rod.

Walleye

Reaction score
No stroke hauler in his right mind would seek fly over a spinning rod.
Really? As I understand it from what I've seen with my own eyes, 15ft rod, lead core line and a treble hook with a feather tied on is the tool of choice.

Here's a more basic (no feather) example of snatching tackle found on the river bank this season. Good luck casting this with a spinning rod.

IMG-20210320-WA0033.jpeg

Walleye

Reaction score
Maybe we just have more sporting snatchers here in God's country.

I remember watching a couple of these sporting snatchers back end up the top of the river...a guy with chest waders was wading up the middle of the river while 20-30 yards ahead of him, his mate with the 15 foot fly rod was casting square, counting for a few seconds then hauling it back in one motion ready for the next step upstream and cast.

Poetry in sporting motion :)

Walleye

Reaction score
And the ones at Durham I've seen over the decades...big rods, lead core lines, trebles with a feather on. Cast square, count down for a few seconds, haul it back in one fast aggressive motion ready to roll the line out again across the river and start counting again...

It's good. It almost looks just like casting practise. The dead giveaway is the fly has no time at all to fish conventionally. It sinks and then is ripped back in one motion.

I've never seen anyone snatching with a spinning rod. Didn't even know it was done until Taddy mentioned it.