Spinning rod

D

Deleted by request

Thinking of adding a spinning rod to my armoury. What length and casting weights should I be looking at.
Thanks in advance lads.

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
U need to be a bit more specific in your needs.
Size of river and weight of lures you want to cast with it.

Rrrr

Reaction score
It really depends where you are thinking of using it and for which lures.
Also if its going to be used weekly or twice a year.
I fish a small to medium river and use it quite a bit. I use a 9ft guideline 5 to 20g casting weight as i use small mepps and rapalas.

You wont go far wrong with a 10ft diawa whisker as a middle of the road, take anywhere rod.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

D

Deleted by request

Be usedon North East rivers Tyne, Wear, Tees,
Lures, Toby, Minnows, Blair spoons, Mepps and Rapalas

Spinning not done for years and then spun for perch and pike

Andrew B

Reaction score
Tell you what, you can get a lot for your money nowadays as the advancement of spinning outfits has been spectacular.
Obviously for the traditional Devon Minnow type stuff which when fished correctly is not unlike the fly, you’d want a nice long sturdy rod?
Having bought myself after years of no spinning a small but powerful spinning outfit from the Criccieth Tackle box which has to be the finest shop devoted to spinning gear I’ve ever seen.
On the small Welsh rivers I’ve taken 18lb with the small outfit with Braid and that it also doubles up as a Bass outfit.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Be usedon North East rivers Tyne, Wear, Tees,
Lures, Toby, Minnows, Blair spoons, Mepps and Rapalas

Spinning not done for years and then spun for perch and pike
The 10ft abu diplotat is a decent allrounder for under 50 quid. Used mine on the tyne for years and its got the back bone for big fish in fast water.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Andrew B

Reaction score
http://www.cricciethtacklebox.com/
Here’s a link for just the best little tackle shop for the lure fisherman or the saltwater fly angler.
It’s run by a really nice bloke who I’ve known for years and from being an office cleaning business he used the premises to convert slowly away into such a spectacular little shop.
He also has a system where he sells home made flies from people from all over the country and he doesn’t make a penny on them and all monies just go straight back to the fly tyres so anyone wishing to try this scene should try and contact him as everyone who fishes the Dwyfor and Glaslyn and the sea at Criccieth all buy their flies from him.

Some of the lure are like works of art and made in places like Italy.
Check out the pics of the Dwyfor on his page.

Tazzy

Reaction score
When I was in John Norris the only spinning rod he had in was a 10ft and 11ft Shakespeare ability rod (poor selection) The 10ft felt nice where 11ft was tip heavy price was £89 each. Whether it would be able to land a good double figure fish???. Personally I use a Diawa Proterus 10ft 10-60grm it has landed fish up to 22lb on the Wear, I use it to fish the prawn free line style and the floating Devon minnow, the only issue I have with that rod is it's weight it's to heavy to used for any period of time, so I been looking to replace it. Narrowed it down to two either a Diawa Whiskers 10ft 10-60grm £150 from Uttering cheapest I found or a Shakespeare ugly stik elite 25-60grm for around £70

madcaster

Reaction score
I've just ordered a 10ft Abu Salmo seeker £80 something from Sportfish yestetday my 10yr old Greys 10ft multi bait has had chunks taken off it through me breaking it then whipping another top eye on,
Looking a bit of a Tit chucking a vision 110 on a 4ft rod 🤔

MADCASTER

Marcus c

Reaction score
First time fishing an ugly stik last season_the tip is very light and whippy_dont know how it sinks the spinners into fish -but it did last season _ on many occasions .A delightful purchase

paddymc

Reaction score
I've just ordered a 10ft Abu Salmo seeker £80 something from Sportfish yestetday my 10yr old Greys 10ft multi bait has had chunks taken off it through me breaking it then whipping another top eye on,
Looking a bit of a Tit chucking a vision 110 on a 4ft rod 🤔

MADCASTER
Good choice. I rarely spin but use one of these when I do, nice rod. (y)

Andrew B

Reaction score
Don’t know if they still make em but Hardy made some exceptional Spinning/bait rods.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Harrison who are well known for their Carp rods, do make rods for game anglers. I used to have a stalking rod for carp with a lovely action for spinning which are well worth checking out imo.