Spinning rod help for the Don?

wokkafisher2

Reaction score
Evening all,

I'm looking to get my first spinning rod, for fishing the middle Don. Can anyone please give me some guidance on what size rod length and gram weight it should be able to throw? Also what lures should I get as a minimum. I've no experience with them so any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Wf2

Callum Imray

Reaction score
Evening all,

I'm looking to get my first spinning rod, for fishing the middle Don. Can anyone please give me some guidance on what size rod length and gram weight it should be able to throw? Also what lures should I get as a minimum. I've no experience with them so any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Wf2
A 9 foot should do you fine, up to 40grams. I use a Daiwa Whisker, does the job. Can load your reel with 12-15lb. Maxima nylon, or PowerPro braid 15kg. I much prefer braid.

As for lures, id say to keep it simple, youll not go wrong with a few flying C’s, black n gold, maybe a couple reds, 10-15 grams. No point splashing out on anything fancy until you've used your gear for a few hours... spinnings not for everyone. You'll also lose a few lures on the bottom, better a £2 C than a £20 Vision 110! The usual Devons, Rapalas, Visions and Tobies will all also get their share of fish if you wish to expand your arsenal.

I would highly recommend getting some good quality ball-bearing swivels as well. Spintec’s are BY FAR the best you’ll get. The old Sharpes had their day, but these are even better.

Get yourself down to Somers in Aberdeen and support your local tackle shop. Colin and the rest of the staff are a very helpful, honest bunch and will keep you right. Im sure if you ask nicley they'd even cut you a wee deal if you're getting a whole set-up and spending a few quid.

Just my tuppence worth, hope that helps. For me, its all about keeping it simple

Tight lines

Last edited:

ozzyian

Reaction score
Def agree about Spintec. While you're there get some flying c's and zulus, 15 - 20 g is about right. They're not the cheapest but they are excellent quality (the blades spin straight away as you retrieve - unlike most) If you give them a call you can place an order and the guy (Dave I think) is very helpful with advice, they'll make them the way you want (blade size, weight, colours etc)

Assembled Fishing Lures | Game fishing lures - Game Fishing Lures

PS I bought a Wychwood 9' spinning rod from a nice bloke on the forum - it's just as good as the Hardy Marksman I sold:eek: but there again the rod doesnt really do much for you when spinning imho.