Spider identification

Finglas

Reaction score
My dad saw this spider just perched among the rocks last week at the spey. Does anyone know what type of spider it is? Huge for a uk spider I'd have thought!

IMG-20210726-WA0011.jpg

Finglas

Reaction score
Haha I know, I'd have ran a mile. I only saw that picture after I'd attended to an early morning call of nature. Wouldn't have been so eager if I knew they were lurking around!

Rrrr

Reaction score
The size of that thing you could have asked it to net your fish for you

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 21851

My dad saw this spider just perched among the rocks last week at the spey. Does anyone know what type of spider it is? Huge for a uk spider I'd have thought!

View attachment 63708
ISpot is mentioned in the article. Try posting it on there and please let us know the result.

Also, keep it on the Spey. I don't want it anywhere near me.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Cardinal Spider perhaps? They are not recorded that far North but as they survive in Russia the cold winters wouldn't prevent it. They do grow pretty big for the UK. I'm certainly no expert though.

Finglas

Reaction score
Cardinal Spider perhaps? They are not recorded that far North but as they survive in Russia the cold winters wouldn't prevent it. They do grow pretty big for the UK. I'm certainly no expert though.
When I googled it I did think it was most likely a cardinal but wasn't 100% convinced...

Karl-K

Reaction score
That’s huge, I’m heading up to the Spey in September and we are camping, if I see that thing in my tent it will be incy wincy dead spider