Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Lyndonford

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cloner

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

My few cents. Old fly but worth presenting it again as this is also my first ever TOTM entry.

phatagorva_jp.jpg

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
May I say on behalf of we mere mortals at the flee tying lark,This is a pattern I admire greatly but am struggling to get a good finished item.The flee's posted are such an inspiration in helping me understand the how to's.I'd fish with happily all of them and most certainly expect to catch fish on them.
One day I'll post some of mine, but I'll do it first before any one else, then you'll all be so busy laughing I'm bound to win!.
Thanks all, amazing stuff.Pedro.

cloner

Reaction score
May I say on behalf of we mere mortals at the flee tying lark,This is a pattern I admire greatly but am struggling to get a good finished item.The flee's posted are such an inspiration in helping me understand the how to's.I'd fish with happily all of them and most certainly expect to catch fish on them.
One day I'll post some of mine, but I'll do it first before any one else, then you'll all be so busy laughing I'm bound to win!.
Thanks all, amazing stuff.Pedro.
If that comforts you I hooked a decent cock salmon on my very fly (the one with black overwing) last fall in Aboyne. 5 years ago I had a chance and great pleasure to fish the Dee with Swedish angler who professionally takes part in salmon rivers restitution and is one of the most successful anglers I've ever fished with. One day I asked him to show me his fly box - there were mostly brown/fiery brown and black winged flies there. I would say beside the colour and size, the way the fly is presented is the key to success (provided there are fish in the river). Back in the day the floating line and unweighted fly was a way to go. For the past 5 years I've fished deep & dirty, presenting the fly right in front of the fish noses.

mc andy

Reaction score
I'll throw this in the mix

Waddington Shank: 1 & 1/4"
Tag: Gold Oval
Butt: Globrite Fire Orange #5 Floss
Rib: Gold Oval
Rear body: Gold Tinsel
Mid hackle: Orange Cock
Mid Wing: Orange bucktail + Krinkle Flash Pearl
Front Body: Holographic Black Tinsel
Front Wing: Red Bucktail under Brown Bucktail under Black Silver Fox + Smolt Blue Krystal Flash
Front Hackle: Black Cock under JC Eyes

Good luck everyone
Cheers
Clydebuilt

View attachment 40170
That's a stunner!

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
That's a stunner!
Too kind Andy!
I wasn't sure it would work when leaving out the palmered body and trying it on a Waddie but thought I'd try something a bit duffetent while trying to at least remain within the spec.
Cheers
Cb

CharlesW

Reaction score
Here's to my mind a better proportioned fly.

IMG_2177.JPG

Tag : Med gold oval
Butt : Burnt orange uni-floss
Tail : Orange arctic runner
Rear body : Gold holographic tinsel
Front body : Black spectra dubbing
Rear hackle : Orange badger palmered
Rib : Fine gold oval
Front hackle : Black
Wing : Brown temple dog with 2 strands of flash under
Black goat with 2 strands of flash over
Jungle cock sides and orange bonehead

I have had some success with this style of fly, including a variant with copper tinsel, on the Dee in high water. In the past one would have used a 2"-3" brown and copper devon.

Last edited:

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Simply stunning, all of them. I'm struggling to choose a winner! I'm with Rennie, I'll post soon. I move in couple of weeks and get a fly tying den but first need to hone some skills given the quality posted here!

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Simply stunning, all of them. I'm struggling to choose a winner! I'm with Rennie, I'll post soon. I move in couple of weeks and get a fly tying den but first need to hone some skills given the quality posted here!
I’d never tied a salmon fly until I started fishing for them again this year and entered the competition. There’s nothing like a challenge to drive improvement especially when it’s good natured and my tying has definitely benefitted.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
The Poll is up.

Everybody continues to exceed expectations, a Scandi theme with 17, yes 17 entries! It must be a full moon :thumb:

Well done all the contributors. For everyone else, please take a few minutes to cast your vote for your favourite fly from the Speybrothers Tie of the Month competition - Flies inspired by the Templedog.

Cheers

GK

mows

Reaction score
Genuinely the hardest to pick yet. I'd use all of them.

Well done gents!!!!

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
An amazing selection this month, hard to choose but had to pick one and went for Gary’s (gwelsher) as closest to original and very nicely tied 👍
Exactly what I was thinking GaryD and I too voted for gwelsher's , very hard to choose but his just edged ahead for me

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
We have a Winner! Well done Clydebuilt, I think that's your first in TOTM and well deserved!

In Second place we have a clutch of tyers, this might bring the final standings a wee bit closer. The Silver medal is shared between Cloner, well done on your first TOTM entry:thumb:, Andrzej, gwelsher, Perry Poker and GaryD.

The Bronze medal is a joint effort too and we have both our previous winners sharing the medal nwsalar and Dr PatrickT.

Thanks for all the entries and enthusiasm, for a theme that might have killed previous competitions stone dead :D

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Well done CB and everyone else in second and third.

Another month which atleast proves I don't vote for my own entry! 🙈 :lol::lol::lol:

Well done everyone!!! 👍

mc andy

Reaction score
Well done CB and everyone else in second and third.

Another month which atleast proves I don't vote for my own entry! 🙈 :lol::lol::lol:

Well done everyone!!! 👍
LOL! Like wise sir:lol:

Well done clydebuilt! Well deserved. Also congrats to second and third places.

Big shout out to grassy knollington for your fantastic contribution and efforts! Much appreciated sir:nod:

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Jeeso,

Many thanks for all who voted,, participated and of course to GK for administering the TOM

Its a very good incentive to improve your tying and great to see all the contributions each month.

Never thought that would happen tbh , especially this month, out my comfort zone and some really really nice flies on show too.

Cheers all:thumb:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Congrats Clydebuilt. The spread of voting showed it would be tough to win and so it took something a little special to win through. Well deserved.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Agreed Iain.

One thing that has been true of TOTM,(since I remember it anyway) is that there is either a single stand out winner or a very difficult choice between 3, or more flies.

This year it really seems to be the latter situation more often than not.