Speybrothers Tie of the Month Novermber 2019 - Peacock

Who tied your favourite fly from the November 2019 Tie of the Month Competition?

• iainmortimer

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Grassy_Knollngton

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Andrzej

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Clydebuilt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Perry Poker

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Dr PatrickT

• gwelsher

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • GaryD

• Jockiescott

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • AlanT

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • CharlesW

• BillyFish

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • nwsalar

• Ryan Houston

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Mattytree

• tawsalmon

• firefly

• starburst shrimp

• Zamora

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Just a quick Bump of the thread to remind everyone the poll closes earlier than usual, on Monday 16th.

I see there's been a good number of votes already but if you haven't already voted, you only have a couple of days to do so.

Please take some time to look through the entries and cast your vote.

Thanks in advance

GK

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
We have a Winner! In the Blue Peacock corner, weighing in at 180lbs in the coldest tying shed this side of the Danube we have a late late surge from the one, the only Jockieeeeeee Sco-ott. Well done JS, I thought that was a nailed on winner when you posted it, but the competition was tight this month.

In Second place is Billy Fish with a lovely little Alexandra, leading for most of the month, Billy missed out at the end, well done!

In joint Third place we have Zamora with an inspired Spey-style fly and my choice for this month Ryan Houston, who tied the best looking Beauly Snow Fly that I've seen. Well done gentlemen!

Many thanks to everyone who submitted a fly, it was a tough call to pick one and even those who didn't get a vote tied really nice flies.

That's the last submission for this year's TOTM. The final competition will be between all of our monthly winners for, Speybrothers Tie.... Of..... The..... Year.

Once tie of the year has been announced I'll do the final standings and publish the league table of top tiers. For now, I'd just like to detail the the prizes on offer for the 2019 Speybrothers Tie of the Month Competition have been provided by our fantastic sponsor Teemu at Speybrothers and from another very generous donor. I can reveal that the donor was Scottish, so you'll quickly spot which prize they donated.

Prizes for final standings in the 2019 Speybrothers Tie of the Month Competition will be allocated as follows:

1st Prize: Speybrothers 'Top Salmon Flies Vol 2' Book + Speybrothers fly box
2nd Prize: Speybrothers 'Top Salmon Flies Vol 2' Book
3rd Prize: Speybrothers fly box + 2 flies

That's not all, we have 2 further prizes on offer:

Best Newcomer: Speybrothers fly box + 2 flies
Fly of the Year: 1 bottle of the Amber nectar from one of our finest Highland distilleries

Teemu has been great and I already have my hot little hands on the prizes, the fly boxes are the perfect size for a top pocket and have nice foam design. The book, 'Top Salmon Flies Vol 2' is a really nice piece of work and highlights the flies and methods used by successful Salmon fishermen and fisherwomen from around the world. I don't rate many commercially tied flies, but these Speybrothers ones are well proportioned and well tied, I'd love to give them a swim.

Many thanks Teemu!

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Well done JS - you are a superb tier. With ease you turn your hand to anything and always looks awesome. All the best, Patrick

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the kind comments and to those who voted.

I'm more than shocked at winning this month! :wow:

My only aim when I tied that fly was to submit an entry, I really could not imagine that it could end up winning.

We'll done to all those who entered and to GK for organising once again!

Maybe those late run of votes were down to people seeing my appalling working conditions and taking pity on me? Eh, GK? :lol:

Thanks everyone!

Slaneybs

Reaction score
That was a great Tie of the Month - several really interesting flies. I missed the early closing so didnt vote this time.
Thanks for organising one of the best things on the Forum.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Well done JS - you are a superb tier. With ease you turn your hand to anything and always looks awesome. All the best, Patrick
Sorry I'm only getting the chance to respond to your kind words now Patrick. I'm very humbled by them.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the likes of yourself and everyone else who contributes to the fly tying section, I would not have got to the level that I am currently tying at.

Seeing so many different styles of flies and use of materials have made me want to try those styles of flies and forced me to alter my tying techniques and habits to try to get close to those high standards being posted.

if it wasn't for the help, guidance, comments (both good and bad), I would not be tying the way I currently am. I still feel there is room for improvement though.

I am sincerely grateful to you all!

iainmortimer

Reaction score
A genuinely nice fly Jockie that as soon as itcwas posted made me question my own offerings proportions. As well as admiring the entries, that kind of re-assessment is one of the strong points of this competition for every month I’ve been forced to re-evaluate my tying from a new viewpoint which is really helpful. It’s been interesting to convert from trout to salmon flies and this competition has really helped me to do so. I therefore fully agree with your earlier comments Jockie.

Thanks GK for all your hard work in making the competition happen and respect to those who are picking it up next year and to everyone else for the high quality of tying.

Last edited:

Starburst shrimp

Reaction score
Well done JS, that's a lovely fly and lovely photo!! 👌👌
Well done to everyone, some beautiful flies there!!

I just wanted to give a shout out to the man who started on the Christmas sherry early this year!! 😮😮
That really is a vote for Christmas!! Thank you!! 😀😀👍

billy fish

Reaction score
Well done JS . I feel privileged and lucky to come second amongst so many good entries and your “stand out” winning fly.
Thanks GK ,it wouldn’t happen without the likes of yourself putting in the time.
Colin.