Speybrothers Tie of the Month Novermber 2019 - Peacock

Who tied your favourite fly from the November 2019 Tie of the Month Competition?

• iainmortimer

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Grassy_Knollngton

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Andrzej

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Clydebuilt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Perry Poker

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Dr PatrickT

• gwelsher

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • GaryD

• Jockiescott

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • AlanT

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • CharlesW

• BillyFish

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • nwsalar

• Ryan Houston

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Mattytree

• tawsalmon

• firefly

• starburst shrimp

• Zamora

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwsalar

Reaction score
Restigouche Black Dose

A number of good flies from this side utilizing peacock herl in the body, tails, and wing: the Rat Series, Undertaker, Rutledge, Glitter Bear,........ but, I'm fishing the Restigouche next June.

IMG_5119.JPG

ryan houston

Reaction score
DSCF1625_edited-1.jpgmodern beauly
mirage butt
silver embossed
silver lace
blue seal mixed with blue angelina and peacock hends spectra
black heron
blue peacock breast
mirage peacock krinkle
peacock eye
orange fox fake hackle
blue varnish

Mattytree

Reaction score
G

Alexandra x piglet ,seem to have caught more salmon on the Alexandra than sea trout but maybe it will work having found sea trout love feelers as much as salmon this season !
Materials are boar bristle ,silver body with orange UV rib ,goose tail, pea cock top wing and black and red cape for hackles , uv dyed JC and glow brite 4 for the head.

Attachments

nwsalar

Reaction score
I have pretty good confidence that this is a legitimate Restigouche pattern. Going back to Mary Orvis Marbury's Favorite Flies and their Histories from 1982 the Black Dose is considered a mainstay on the Restigouche. I have fished the Restigouche and it is pictured on the RRL webpage as tied by Scott Doncaster. It is also listed and pictured in Doug Underhill's Salmon Country about NB's rivers and Terry Hellekson's Fish Flies, p. 550. Notable tier Jerome Malloy, an ASFI-expo tier has this version on Pinterest.

ryan houston

Reaction score
I have pretty good confidence that this is a legitimate Restigouche pattern. Going back to Mary Orvis Marbury's Favorite Flies and their Histories from 1982 the Black Dose is considered a mainstay on the Restigouche. I have fished the Restigouche and it is pictured on the RRL webpage as tied by Scott Doncaster. It is also listed and pictured in Doug Underhill's Salmon Country about NB's rivers and Terry Hellekson's Fish Flies, p. 550. Notable tier Jerome Malloy, an ASFI-expo tier has this version on Pinterest.
thanks can you tell me is it moose body dyed black that makes most of these types of fly? and if so is there a source?

firefly

Reaction score
Found this one in the archives, a bit out of the ordinary and no match for the beautiful flies posted on this thread, but it worked. (blue soft hackle under peacock)

11954742_839354772828058_7804998689869930823_n.jpg

Last edited:

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Found this one in the archives, a bit out of the ordinary and no match for the beautiful flies posted on this thread, but it worked. (blue soft hackle under peacock)

View attachment 40862
Hi Firefly

The attachment bug has struck. Your attachment cannot be seen. To fix the problem you need to select 'edit', attach your image again and save your changes.

It happens about 30% of the time anyone attaches an image to the forum but I don't think there is any interest in fixing the problem.

'Attaching images using 'post quick reply'

tawsalmon

Reaction score
Hi Firefly

The attachment bug has struck. Your attachment cannot be seen. To fix the problem you need to select 'edit', attach your image again and save your changes.

It happens about 30% of the time anyone attaches an image to the forum but I don't think there is any interest in fixing the problem.

'Attaching images using 'post quick reply'
Yes, GKn, that happened to me too this morning when I was trying to post my picture. I managed to muddle through it eventually!

nwsalar

Reaction score
For my trips to Labrador I tie with dyed black moose body hair. The company that does a great job dying moose is Nature's Spirit. As I fish farther south, on the Gaspe Peninsula or on the Restigouche most of my flies have a black bear or natural skunk wing.

Zamora

Reaction score
Purple & peacock feestyle

First fly since july. Starting easy, hence speyish style.

hook: Ken Sawada black spey #4
tag: oval silver tinsel, blue floss, black uv tinsel
tail: white & blue fox
body: purple uv ice dubbing
ribs: oval silver tinsel
body hackle: black heron
hackle: peacock hackle
wing: blue amherst pheasant
head: white thred

4a7511c10c2428bdb79229575085451244d74eae.jpg

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
The Poll is up Lady and Gentlemen, there is a quick turn around this month and only 15 days for votes, so please take a look at the entries on the 1st post and get voting!

I really enjoyed going through the entries here, at each one I'd think 'we have a winner here', and then I'd move on to the next one and think 'we have a winner here':D.

Cracking entries everybody, well done!

Andrzej

Reaction score
Hard choice, I've got two favorites, but need to flip a coin because can't decide :confused:

ryan houston

Reaction score
for me it was the simplicity and the different application of a blue as a spey wing in Gwelshers fly might use that in a magenta themed fly for steelhead I also really liked zamoras fly

Last edited:

gwelsher

Reaction score
for me it was the simplicity and the different application of a blue as a spey wing in Gwelshers fly might use that in a magenta themed fly for steelhead I also really liked zamoras fly
Thanks Ryan. I am struggling to choose there are a couple, including yours, on my short list.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Billy fish will take my vote this month, a very nicely tyed fly :thumb: