Speybrothers Tie of the Month Novermber 2019 - Peacock

Who tied your favourite fly from the November 2019 Tie of the Month Competition?

• iainmortimer

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Grassy_Knollngton

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Andrzej

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Clydebuilt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Perry Poker

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Dr PatrickT

• gwelsher

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • GaryD

• Jockiescott

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • AlanT

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • CharlesW

• BillyFish

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • nwsalar

• Ryan Houston

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Mattytree

• tawsalmon

• firefly

• starburst shrimp

• Zamora

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Please see the entries for the November 2019 Speybrothers Tie of the Month Competition - Peacock

Please take a couple of minutes to look through the entries and select your favourite fly from the 19 great efforts submitted in November!

iainmortimer

01 - Iainmortimer.jpeg

Grassy_Knollington

02 - Grassy_Knollington.jpeg

Andrzej

03 - Andrzej.jpg

Clydebuilt

04 - Clydebuilt.jpg

PerryPoker

05 - Perry Poker.jpeg

Dr PatrickT

06 - DrPatrickT.JPG

gwelsher

07 - gwelsher.jpg

GaryD

08 - GaryD.jpeg

Jockiescott

09 - Jockiescott.JPG

AlanT

10 - AlanT.jpg

CharlesW

11 - CharlesW.JPG

Billy fish

12 - BillyFish.jpeg

nwsalar

13 - nwsalar.JPG

Ryan Houston

14 - Ryan Houston.jpg

Mattytree

15 - Mattytree.jpeg

tawsalmon

16 - tawsalmon.jpeg

firefly

17 - firefly.jpg

Starburst Shrimp

18 - Starburst Shrimp.jpg

Zamora

19 - Zamora.jpg

Thanks for looking!

--------------------------------- NO ENTRIES BELOW THIS LINE - ORIGINAL POST ONLY BELOW THIS LINE ---------------------------------------------

Welcome to the November 2019 Tie of the Month competition.

TOTM AdminThis is everybody's last opportunity to enter a fly into the Speybrothers 2019 Tie of the Month competition. December will be a 'Fly of the Year' vote for the best fly from all of the monthly TOTM winners. I'm going to get the November Poll up quickly so I can run the 'Fly of the Year' and 'November TOTM' polls concurrently and finish the competition early with winners announced before Christmas.

I've got the prizes from Teemu of Speybrothers - who has been a very good sponsor. I've got another prize offer to chase up with the generous individual and my aim will be to get them all in the post just after Christmas

November TOTM - 'Squawk'

Sometimes I'm racking my brain for TOTM ideas and sometimes a decent idea lands in my lap with no effort at all. Thanks gwelsher for giving me this one:thumb:

This month the theme is, flies tied with Peacock feathers. The herl is synonymous with trout fly tying, most of my early trout were caught on a Black and Peacock spider and I always thought the subdued iridescent quality of the natural feathers played a part in attracting the fish.

The herl and sword feathers are probably the most used parts of the Peacock in Salmon fly tying too. However, many of us are also drawn to the striking blue neck feathers; they make a fantastic hackle or wing addition to a whole range of existing patterns, as well as forming the key feature in others, (such as the Goats Toe).

I first came across the neck feathers when we lived in a village with a few pretty aggressive Peacocks. Sensibly abandoned by their owners when moving house, the then feral birds patrolled the roads, annoyed the residents and scared small dogs. That all changed when one of my mum's friends managed to run over the last 3 surviving birds in her badly-driven Austin Maestro. It really was pretty impressive achievement; in the space of one winter she achieved what countless stones and a couple of .22 rifles had failed to do. When she hit the last one of the 3, she was in such a state, she chucked the bird in the boot of the car to see if my dad could 'do something with it'. She had to dispose of the body herself in the end, but not before we'd gained reams and reams of fantastic Peacock feathers.:D

This month, in honour of the pea-brained show-offs of the bird world, I would like everyone to tie a fly that includes Peacock Feathers.

There are so, so many options for this one. Good luck

Specific Guidance:

You can tie on any hook, shank or tube you choose.

You can use other materials, just make sure we can see the Peacock without the use of a magnifying glass.

Anyone who ties 2 eye feathers onto a 8/0 hook will be reprimanded

Eleven commandments:

1.The fly must have been tied for TOTM and should not have already appeared elsewhere on the forum or t'interweb. You can tie another versiion of one you have already posted but please don't just lift the photo from another thread to TOTM
2. - This year I would like anybody who has started tying flies in the last 12 months to highlight this on their first entry. It would be great to see a 'best newcomer' shout at the end of the year.
3. The first rule of TOTM is that everyone is welcome.
4. The second rule of TOTM is that every day is a School day, try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at.
5. The Third rule of TOTM is that variety is the spice of life, we'll try and do something different every month.
6. The tying competition has a different theme each month.
7. At the end of the month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will run the entirety of the following month.
8. Points are awarded for simply entering, with additional points awarded for placing first, second and third.
9. Whichever participant has the most points at the end of the year wins the prize.
10. The competition will run from Feb - December 2019
11. The December competition will be a 'Tie Of The Year' event, where members will vote for the best of the winning flies from the 10 monthly competitions.

1. Each entry will be worth 4 points. You get points for simply entering and these make a significant contribution to the end of year totals.
2. First place will be worth 10 points.
3. Second place will be worth 8 points.
4. Third place will be worth 7 points.
5. In the event of a tie for first, second, and/or third in number of votes, all tied participants get equivalent points.

This means you can place well in the whole event, without ever winning a single month's competition

Again, the November 2019 theme is going to be: Flies that include Peacock feathers

More rules:

1. One entry per participant.
2. Entrys must have been tied specifically for the November 2019 TOTM, you can repeat previously posted patterns from here or elsewhere on the web but you need to tie a version specifically for TOTM and not just lift the picture from another location.
3. The fly must have been tied by you.
4. One photograph of a fly or flies following the theme. Entries with more than 1 photo will be immediately disqualified. ONE PHOTO ONLY.

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Well I went through my books, searched around the net and in the end gave up finding something with peacock that I liked - apart from the creation gwelsher found first. In the end therefore I decided to go freestyle and so dug around in my drawers of materials, binned a few idea forming creations and eventually created this...

Hook: #6 partridge patriot
Thread: black uni
Tag and rib: medium oval gold tinsel
Tail: flouro orange and yellow bucktail
Body: blood orange Vicuña dubbing
Wing: natural peacock herl with GP crest over
Hackle 1: gp yellow rump feather
Hackle 2: guinea fowl dyed blue

EB479174-F0C4-4641-B121-C2D146D155CA.jpeg

Last edited:

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I might change this one if I get a better idea. Here’s a favourite of mine:

Blue money (with apologies to Van Morrison)

BF833268-D600-4F3B-99E8-2E8CE607EA51.jpeg

Andrzej

Reaction score
I've decided to change my fly from the Green Peacock to the Beauly Snow Fly. The front hackle which supposed to be made from mohair is tied here with arctic fox.

Attachments

Last edited:

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
I'll Throw this in the mix - a good excuse to use the new tube viec ..lol

Got there in the end with the pic.... anyway here it is:

1 & 1/4" Copper Tube

Thread: White Nano Silk - coloured with sharpie

Tag & Rib : Silver Oval

Rear body: Green Uni Tinsel under Opal Mirage

Front Body: small band of UV Pearl dubbing followed by a wound dubbing loop of Peacock Glister well brushed out

Underwing: a few strands of Green & Blue bucktail, Pearl krinkle flash, black krystal flash with Peacock herl & Black silver fox

Hackle: Black Cock

Over wing: Black Nayat with Peacock herl

JC eyes

Peacock1.jpg

Last edited:

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Andrezj, If you don’t know what to do with the flies you tie up and don’t like, like this one, you can always send them to me!! :thumb: :thumb:

Last edited:

PerryPoker

Reaction score
Peacock Cascade

I don’t know that many flies that incorporate peacock so thought I’d try and tie something original this month. After tying several flies I finally settled for this one.

244ECCAD-DDA0-410B-8AE0-9567A336C63B.jpeg

Butt: Copper oval tinsel
Tail: Sunburst Arctic Runner/copper Krystal flash
Tag: No.4 Glo Brite floss
Rib: Copper oval tinsel
Body: Peacock Herl wound on
Throat: Yellow PB
Wing: Black Arctic Runner/orange peacock Herl/copper Krystal flash
Hackle: Hot Orange soft hackle
JC Cheeks

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Blue Peacock Monkey

Hi All,

I'll put in a Blue Peacock Monkey.

Bottle tube
Yellow sparkle glister dub (tied at front of tube and brushed out)
Wing 1: shorter fox plus 2 strand yellow midge flash
Wing 2: faux monkey plus 2 strands pearl midge flash
Yellow hackle
Blue Peacock hackle
Wing 3: artic fox, 2 peacock herl, peacock mirror flash each side
Orange JC
Head black

Cheers,

Patrick

View attachment 40556IMG_1408 _Landscape.JPG

Last edited:

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Hi All,

Bottle tube
Yellow hackle
Blue Peacock hackle
Orange JC
Head black

Cheers,

Patrick

View attachment 40552
That's a Beauty!!!!

Andrzej

Reaction score
Andrezj, If you don’t know what to do with the flies you tie up and don’t like, like this one, you can always send them to me!! :thumb: :thumb:
Cheers Gauldalen! I just have tied another and replaced the picture, tried to improved the proportion of the fly, not sure if successfully though :confused: I'll be happy to send for you the previous fly, please send the adres on PM :nod:

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
What a start to this month!!! :eek:

I'll have to get my finger out and get something tied. I did attempt a cascade with peacock in it but wasn't happy with it and now my thunder has been well and truly stolen!!! :lol:

I'll get something together through the week.

Superb stuff so far! :thumb:

Woodbank

Reaction score
Hi All,

Bottle tube
Yellow hackle
Blue Peacock hackle
Orange JC
Head black

Cheers,

Patrick

View attachment 40556View attachment 40592
it may have been said before but that and all your flees are beautifully crafted and tied👏👏👍

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I've decided to go ahead with the cascade based version I tied on Friday.

I wasn't happy with the way that the blue peacock hackle was sitting. I went to the vice today to attempt something different but when I switched on the lamp at the desk, the shine of the peacock just seemed to light up and the hackle was sitting much better than when I'd tied it. It must have flattened itself out over the weekend. I added a couple of Jungle Cock eyes and varnished the head today just. :redface:

Tying is as follows:

Tail: Mixed yellow and orange bucktail with a couple of strands of Krystal flash
Tag: Oval gold
Body: Peacock herl
Rib: Oval gold
Wing 1: Two strands of peacock herl tied in behind the head and extending to the length of the tail for added movement
Over wing: Peacock swords
Hackles: Yellow hen under orange hen with peacock blue feather tied over.
Eyes: Jungle Cock

DSC_0252.JPG

Clydebuilt

Reaction score

I wasn't happy with the way that the blue peacock hackle was sitting. I went to the vice today to attempt something different but when I switched on the lamp at the desk, the shine of the peacock just seemed to light up and the hackle was sitting much better than when I'd tied it. It must have flattened itself out over the weekend. I added a couple of Jungle Cock eyes and varnished the head today just. :redface:

Tying is as follows:

Tail: Mixed yellow and orange bucktail with a couple of strands of Krystal flash
Wing 1: Two strands of peacock herl tied in behind the head and extending to the length of the tail for added movement

View attachment 40627
There are some stunners already in this months round, this being one.
Belter Jockie!

ibm59

Reaction score

Tying is as follows:

View attachment 40627
You need to brush up on your photography skills.
Anyone would think that flee is sat on top of a box of air gun slugs.

AlanT

Reaction score
Peacock Waddy

1" Waddington
Braided silver body
Yellow arctic fox 1st wing
Orange arctic fox 2nd wing
Blue arctic fox 3rd wing
Black goats hair 4th wing
Peacock herl overwing
Blue peacock neck feather beard
Jungle cock cheeks

A fast stripping fly for ST

20191129_204313.jpg

Last edited:

CharlesW

Reaction score
Alexandra

IMG_2212.JPG

Tag :Fine oval silver
Butt :Black ostrich here
Tail :Red crow sub
Body :Silver holographic
Rib :Fine oval silver
Hackle :Red cock
Underwing :Black fox
Overwing :peacock sword
Sides :Red condor sub
Eyes :Jungle cock

Lamson v10

Reaction score

Tying is as follows:

View attachment 40627
Stunning fly sir :thumb: love it