Speybrothers Tie of the Month, March 2019 - GPs

Who tied your favourite fly from the March 2019 Tie of the Month?

• Perry Poker

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Andrzej

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • ianmortimer

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • nikolas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • mattytree

• mc andy

• jimmcl

• Jockiescott

• Tawsalmon

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • gwelsher

• GaryD

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • AlanT

• LouisCha

• CharlesW

• Zamora

• DyPatrickT

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • nwsalar

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Doublehooked

• Starburst Shrimp

• Grassy_Knollington

• Slaneybs

• Lyndonford

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mc andy

Reaction score
Now I've just looked at the brief, and I myself might be buggered! I've all the ingredients just no wing to tge shank :eek: my apologies, must try harder:peace:

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Jim

You're good with the eyes, tippet, or plastic, or JC will do.

Andy

I think I said wing to the hook point on a hook, shank or tube. I'm sure you can think of something there :)

Nice flies BTW

I like tying GPs personally, although I struggle to tie two the same way as there are so many possibilities.

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Jim

You're good with the eyes, tippet, or plastic, or JC will do.

Andy

I think I said wing to the hook point on a hook, shank or tube. I'm sure you can think of something there :)

Nice flies BTW

I like tying GPs personally, although I struggle to tie two the same way as there are so many possibilities.
I think Andy was referring to the lack of a 'wing of feather or hair' rather than not extending beyond the bend...more judgement needed oh great and wondrous leader of the band of merry fluff tyers!

Slaneybs

Reaction score
I have never tied or used one of these "GP" yokes so heading to Peter O'Rielly's book yet again or may have to fall back on other resources. I certainly dont have any little plastic eyes so JC will have to do. If this thread is designed to make us think and do things outside of our comfort zone it is achieving that! So thanks again GK.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I think Andy was referring to the lack of a 'wing of feather or hair' rather than not extending beyond the bend...more judgement needed oh great and wondrous leader of the band of merry fluff tyers!
I know, when I said I was sure he would think of something, I should have said 'think of another way of tying the fly' :lol:

I'm sure Andy can think of a way to get a wing or roof onto that design and keep his basic idea.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I have never tied or used one of these "GP" yokes so heading to Peter O'Rielly's book yet again or may have to fall back on other resources. I certainly dont have any little plastic eyes so JC will have to do. If this thread is designed to make us think and do things outside of our comfort zone it is achieving that! So thanks again GK.
I was minded to just stick with the original GP dressing but then I wasn't sure if everyone would have tippets and then.......

You can make a bunch of plastic eyes pretty easily in 10mins or so.

- Take a 2-3" length of relatively thick, clear mono (10lbs Maxima or stronger). Burn the end of the mono with a lighter, the nylon should ball up at the end.
- When the ends have cooled, dip them in some quick drying superglue (optional) and leave to dry for a minute or two. A doubled up piece of tape on the edge of your desk is a good way to hold them when drying.
- Dip the eyes in some black head cement, varnish or paint. Do this as many times as you need to build up the size of the eye.
- Give 1 final coat of superglue to harden off (optional).
- When the cement is dried you can snip the mono to length and tie in.
- If you want to, you can put a 90 degree crimp in the nylon near the eyes using pliers or forceps. The 90 degree bend helps spread the eyes when the stalks are tied along the hook shank.

tawsalmon

Reaction score
Purple Haze

I set out to do a purple GP to enter this month’s competition. It rapidly turned in to a “Mr. Hyde” rather than a “Dr. Jekyll” so I will not be putting it forward. However it may just have something of the devil about it in an autumn river full of leaves. We shall see....

As I found to my intense frustration, it’s a very tricky pattern to get right chaps, so I wish you all well with your efforts.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
This definitely took me out of my comfort zone! :lol:

For two days I tried materials, removed them again, tried different materials, removed them again... over and over and over and over. There are quite a few materials in the bin since I started this on Saturday evening.

This is it and I shall never attempt another GP for as long as shall live!!! :lol:

Tail: Wound Dyed orange GP Breast (Irish Shrimp style) , orange runner over, two strands of crystal flash, Tippets over that
Rear body: Orange seals fur, ribbed oval gold, palmered with orange badger with tippets over
Front body: Orange seals fur, ribbed oval gold, plamered with dyed orange GP Breast and tippets over.
Overwing: Dyed orange GP rump feather.

Last edited:

Slaneybs

Reaction score

For two days I tried materials, removed them again, tried different materials, removed them again... over and over and over and over. There are quite a few materials in the bin since I started this on Saturday evening.

This is it and I shall never attempt another GP for as long as shall live!!! :lol:

Tail: Wound Dyed orange GP Breast (Irish Shrimp style) , orange runner over, two strands of crystal flash, Tippets over that
Rear body: Orange seals fur, ribbed oval gold, palmered with orange badger with tippets over
Front body: Orange seals fur, ribbed oval gold, plamered with dyed orange GP Breast and tippets over.
Now that is something that i would fish with. great shape and colours!

tawsalmon

Reaction score
Dunno about a GP, I think I now need therapy...

This really is a very tricky pattern to do! Good luck to all who try it.

5CABBF99-2C65-4123-997F-B8BFD457AFBE.jpeg

iainmortimer

Reaction score

You might have to retie it Jockie - looks like the wing is longer than the bend?

No I'm only joking....couldn't resist :lol::lol::lol::evil:

That's a cracking variant to have developed :thumb:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
You might have to retie it Jockie - looks like the wing is longer than the bend?

No I'm only joking....couldn't resist :lol::lol::lol::evil:

That's a cracking variant to have developed :thumb:
Never tying this style again!!! :lol:

I say that but I've already got ideas for variants!!! :lol:

I wouldn't say I've developed anything though. It's just a mish mash of variants from Chris Mann's book.

Thanks for the comments though. :thumb:

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Never tying this style again!!! :lol:

I say that but I've already got ideas for variants!!! :lol:

I wouldn't say I've developed anything though. It's just a mish mash of variants from Chris Mann's book.

Thanks for the comments though. :thumb:
Away you big Jessie! I thought folks from Norn Iron were tougher than that:D

Meghan Boyd would have knocked up 25 in her hand before breakfast. Based on your tying I think you've got to be good for at least 10 in the same time:)

I thin one of the main reasons the Ally's took over as the Scottish Shrimp pattern of choice was the relative ease of tying when compared with the GP. That said, I don't find it particularly tricky to tie and I didn't think it would be a technical challenge. For my money the Loop Double is the best hook for them and any smaller than a #8 and you need to cut the materials down.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Away you big Jessie! I thought folks from Norn Iron were tougher than that:D

Meghan Boyd would have knocked up 25 in her hand before breakfast. Based on your tying I think you've got to be good for at least 10 in the same time:)

I thin one of the main reasons the Ally's took over as the Scottish Shrimp pattern of choice was the relative ease of tying when compared with the GP. That said, I don't find it particularly tricky to tie and I didn't think it would be a technical challenge. For my money the Loop Double is the best hook for them and any smaller than a #8 and you need to cut the materials down.
I would say the biggest part of it is that I can't ever remember tying one before. It was more a case of having to work with full feathers for the various wings than anything I've tied before.

The more I think about it since, it is simply a more elaborate Irish shrimp with palmered hackles rather than hackles in touching turns and the wings are like vielings. Irish shrimps could be simplified GPs as much as Allys if you really think about it.

Once again GK, you have us trying things that we may not always have tried before and that is what TOTM is about for me. Even if at times you don't intend it as such. :)

GaryD

Reaction score
A Zonker GP! Think it meets all the criteria -

Tag silver oval and green floss
Tail hot orange buck with crystal flash
Eyes hot orange tippet
Body dubbing mix of hot orange seal, pink litebrite and a few other synthetics
Hackle long orange cock (2 tied together to get bulk)
Wing orange zonker
Head orange

Will get a better pic when I can prise my daughters new phone from her :lol:

Attachments

Jockiescott

Reaction score
A Zonker GP! Think it meets all the criteria -

Tag silver oval and green floss
Tail hot orange buck with crystal flash
Eyes hot orange tippet
Body dubbing mix of hot orange seal, pink litebrite and a few other synthetics
Hackle long orange cock (2 tied together to get bulk)
Wing orange zonker
Head orange

Will get a better pic when I can prise my daughters new phone from her :lol:
Ohh I like that!!! 👌:eek:

AlanT

Reaction score
GP Sparkle Zonker Waddy

Tied on a 25mm waddington with stinger treble.
Loving this fly, will be giving it a go this year for sure.

20190313_004755.jpg

Feelers - boar bristles, orange l.amherst, orange lureflash
Eyes - hobbycraft beads on nylon in uv resin
Body - orange lureflash
Wing - orange/black zonker ribbed makita style along with the palmer (tricky)
Palmer - orange spey marabou plume
Wing cover - red tippet

Last edited: