Spey2021

Rossco74

Reaction score
Should have been on Rothes for a cast the day bit stuck affshore - believe the river is heavy wi grue anyway so nae missed anything. Roll on next Thursday.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
I have been offered a couple of days on the Brae fishing at the end of this week (8 & 9 July). In the present conditions will it be worth the 800 mile round trip? I should be most grateful for early feedback from the local experts as I shall need to make a decision by this evening.

P!scator

Reaction score
That's a big question, which beat(s)? Brae beats, 2nd week of July is prime grilse time & can be prolific, low water is not a problem as you are only a few miles from the sea & they say grilse on the Spey will run on the back of a wet door! Weather looks unpredictable for 1st half of next week so could be flash flooding tho it improves by mid week & the river will settle very quickly, high water is also not a problem on the lower river at this time of year as long as it's still fishable. Its not cheap but a great opportunity & an amazing place to fish. If it was me I'd go

lefthandup

Reaction score
I have been offered a couple of days on the Brae fishing at the end of this week (8 & 9 July). In the present conditions will it be worth the 800 mile round trip? I should be most grateful for early feedback from the local experts as I shall need to make a decision by this evening.
If you don't want it...I'll have it.

If that doesn't seal the deal for you... nothing will.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
That's a big question, which beat(s)? Brae beats, 2nd week of July is prime grilse time & can be prolific, low water is not a problem as you are only a few miles from the sea & they say grilse on the Spey will run on the back of a wet door! Weather looks unpredictable for 1st half of next week so could be flash flooding tho it improves by mid week & the river will settle very quickly, high water is also not a problem on the lower river at this time of year as long as it's still fishable. Its not cheap but a great opportunity & an amazing place to fish. If it was me I'd go
Piscator,
many thanks. I'm filling a gap in a party at much reduced price, so cost isn't the issue. It's much more about time within a busy period, with lots of other things demanding my attention.
If you don't want it...I'll have it.

If that doesn't seal the deal for you... nothing will.
Good reply, many thanks.

tony considine

Reaction score
Michael,
Previous replies have perhaps made your mind up, but it's got to be worth a go. We're due water early week, not sure how much, and if it's more than a six in. rise, first day or so will be a bit dirty. It should have settled for your arrival, which is obviously good.
You will enjoy the fishing and should catch fish. Three for your two days is a reasonable target, any more a bonus.
All Brae beats are comfortable fishing, no difficult wading and long casting not required.
If you decide to go for it, enjoy your trip.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
brian,

indeed I did go. When you were talking to Ian Tennant yesterday, I was stood alongside him. I had half a mind to ask him to give you MCX's best wishes, but thought better of it in view of the amount of explanation required!

I had a super couple of days: the first on Beat 5 was barren (David the ghillie changed the subject rapidly when I asked him how his season was going); the second day on Beat 3 was potentially more productive. I lost one good fish right at the top of 3 by the corner of the croy (stupid angler error), and had a series of light grilse knocks. There were plenty of fish about in 2 & 3, many moving in large pods, but catching them depending on being in exactly the right place when they stopped for a breather in between running at high speed. At 7am Upper Ewe was "boiling with fish" (the rod caught a 14 pounder from amongst them), but by 0720 they had all moved on upstream. I gained the clear impression that a large proportion of the fish were running quickly and determinedly.

It's beautiful fishing and I really loved it. Hopefully some kind soul may invite me back. We had a barbecue beside the river last night as a farewell for Ian as he approaches his retirement in 67 working days' time after 41 years' service at Gordon Castle.

Ness Glen

Reaction score
brian,

indeed I did go. When you were talking to Ian Tennant yesterday, I was stood alongside him. I had half a mind to ask him to give you MCX's best wishes, but thought better of it in view of the amount of explanation required!

I had a super couple of days: the first on Beat 5 was barren (David the ghillie changed the subject rapidly when I asked him how his season was going); the second day on Beat 3 was potentially more productive. I lost one good fish right at the top of 3 by the corner of the croy (stupid angler error), and had a series of light grilse knocks. There were plenty of fish about in 2 & 3, many moving in large pods, but catching them depending on being in exactly the right place when they stopped for a breather in between running at high speed. At 7am Upper Ewe was "boiling with fish" (the rod caught a 14 pounder from amongst them), but by 0720 they had all moved on upstream. I gained the clear impression that a large proportion of the fish were running quickly and determinedly.

It's beautiful fishing and I really loved it. Hopefully some kind soul may invite me back. We had a barbecue beside the river last night as a farewell for Ian as he approaches his retirement in 67 working days' time after 41 years' service at Gordon Castle.
Lol, yes, that might have caused a bit of confusion! Pity you didn't get one to stick but as you said a lovely place to fish. Strange how Beat 5 is not faring well this season, but it is that type of year. I know that further up river, nearer my home locality, some of the beats have fished steadily whilst others nearby have had relatively barren weeks.

Ian is such a nice guy, he will be missed on the river.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Champion man. His ambition in retirement is to fish all 163 recognised salmon rivers in Scotland, so if any Forum members are able to assist him with gaining access to some of the more obscure, please let Ness Glen or me know.

P!scator

Reaction score
brian,

I'm so glad you went & enjoyed your trip, its a shame you didn't manage to land your fish

ATB, Stewart

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Champion man. His ambition in retirement is to fish all 163 recognised salmon rivers in Scotland, so if any Forum members are able to assist him with gaining access to some of the more obscure, please let Ness Glen or me know.
I could help out with a few rivers north east of Scotland

Finglas

Reaction score
Hi all,

A few months ago now I posted a thread previously about fishing and accomodation for my dad's birthday. I ended up booking 3 days (thurs-sat) on the fochabers association water but I'll be at the accomodation (in spey bay) for the week beginning monday 19th July. I don't yet have any fishing for mon-wed of the week and we are happy just to play that by ear and see how things go but I'm wondering if anyone has any information of other fishing in the area. I know there is the grantown association ticket but it has been very dry lately (certainly central scotland has) so is that still a reasonable ticket given the weather we've had?

Alternatively, I was planning on chancing my arm and phoning the private estates and see what they have available (if anything) but I appreciate I may be kidding myself on there with regards to availability at short notice!

Any information would be superb, thank you.

Jamie

Beel

Reaction score
Hi all,

A few months ago now I posted a thread previously about fishing and accomodation for my dad's birthday. I ended up booking 3 days (thurs-sat) on the fochabers association water but I'll be at the accomodation (in spey bay) for the week beginning monday 19th July. I don't yet have any fishing for mon-wed of the week and we are happy just to play that by ear and see how things go but I'm wondering if anyone has any information of other fishing in the area. I know there is the grantown association ticket but it has been very dry lately (certainly central scotland has) so is that still a reasonable ticket given the weather we've had?

Alternatively, I was planning on chancing my arm and phoning the private estates and see what they have available (if anything) but I appreciate I may be kidding myself on there with regards to availability at short notice!

Jamie
Day tickets on the Forres Angling Association are readily available and would be a good option, being only 30 minutes away. Feel free to PM me for more information.

Ness Glen

Reaction score
Hi all,

Jamie
Hi Jamie, no shortage of water now so plenty opportunities on offer. Grantown can catch a lot of fish after a big water (which we are about to have) but Aberlour Association is also good in the same conditions. You may find that there is availability on private beats such Castle Grant, it can be very good, obviously. Message me if you would like more info.

Finglas

Reaction score
Hi Jamie, no shortage of water now so plenty opportunities on offer. Grantown can catch a lot of fish after a big water (which we are about to have) but Aberlour Association is also good in the same conditions. You may find that there is availability on private beats such Castle Grant, it can be very good, obviously. Message me if you would like more info.

Thank you ness glen. Really appreciate you taking the time to give me that advice.

Jamie

scoops

Reaction score
Second the Forres water on Findhorn some cracking pools and sound locals, Grantown also some good fishing spots a bit more spread out
Never fished the Aberlour stretch but seem to get good catches when waters up, also the Nairn gets good reports when water
If money no issue try Tulcan some great water there, only fished it in the spring before

Finglas

Reaction score
Second the Forres water on Findhorn some cracking pools and sound locals, Grantown also some good fishing spots a bit more spread out
Never fished the Aberlour stretch but seem to get good catches when waters up, also the Nairn gets good reports when water
If money no issue try Tulcan some great water there, only fished it in the spring before

Thank you scoops. Very much appreciate the advice. Sounds like I have some options certainly!

Jamie