Spey report

Ypres

Reaction score
Fished the Grantown Association water on Monday and Tuesday. Upper Bend, Lower Bend and Tarric Mor amongst others on Monday. Not many fishers about. A couple of guys from Yorkshire way and three Swedish folk. Tuesday I fished the opposite bank; Auchernack Burn, Little Stream then drove down to park near the New Bridge and fished right up the bank until opposite the cemetery. Then walked back down to bridge crossed over and fished for last hour or so just up from bridge. Busier in this area with a casting school practising hard.
Never had a fish, never had a tug, never saw a fish. Non of the other rods I spoke to had touched anything. Bailiff said that a couple had been caught on the Castle Grant beat but of course a day ticket does not allow you to fish there.
Only bend in the rod came in the Saddle Pool when I put up my trout rod and fished for brownies for an hour or so on the Monday.
Beautiful area, wonderful river but few fish about.

Tippet321

Reaction score
Been there done that fished 10 days on the river this year from Lower Pitchroy to the Castle water.

I have seen i fish - that is all!

Ypres

Reaction score
Been there done that fished 10 days on the river this year from Lower Pitchroy to the Castle water.

I have seen i fish - that is all!
There's no doubt it is tough going. Fortunately I have no food or accommodation bills so it is just the diesel and beat tickets but it still adds up. Half a dozen days on the Lake of Menteith or equivalent or two blank days on the Spey? Makes you think!

ibm59

Reaction score
I’ll be taking my trout gear next month.
And my chef’s hat.

John Keane

Reaction score
I’m on Pitchroy for the week beginning Mon 21st. If it’s anything like last year, summer level and bright, I think I’ll struggle. However I am taking my trout gear and intend to trout fish for the last session of each day (18:00-21:00). Last year I had a lovely brownie of around 1.5lb on my salmon rod so I vowed to have a proper go for them this year.

Karl-K

Reaction score
Leaving for the Spey in about an hour, looks like there has been a bit of rain to freshen it up, plus big tides, I can’t wait, just wish I could fast forward and get the 7hr drive over with, roll on tomorrow???

Karl-K

Reaction score
Well we got back yesterday, arrived there last Sunday and there had been a bit of rain the night before to freshen things up, coupled with big tides that week, things were looking perfect. - How wrong we were:(

The river had risen 4-5" but quickly dropped back, I think it was Tuesday afternoon before I saw my first fish. Wednesday evening I hooked a really good fish, bright silver, a big deep fish, conservatively at least 18lb, but it wasn't to be - I was absolutely gutted!!!

Wednesday morning, after crying myself to sleep:) the night before, I was going through the motions in a pool I've never had any luck in, but somehow I got a take and thankfully this one stayed on, a lovely wee silver 9 pounder.

No more action for the rest of the week, I think in total I cant have seen more than 8 salmon all week, normally that would be 50 or more, The ghillies were great as usual and we had a good laugh throughout the week, but I hope things pick up for all involved

Donsider

Reaction score
Spey

Thanks for the update. I am fishing Upper Arndilly on Thursday and shall let you know how I get on.

I fished the Don at Littlewood for a day last week and had brownies up to two and a half pounds

There's always trout to go after remember.....,
#Tight lines all

Donsider

D

Deleted member 945

I was there last week, very few fish about. Water was low but the river was still fishable. The sun didn’t help but water temperatures were fine. Only saw two salmon all week and where I was on the lower river they should have been all over. The odd fish was being caught but ones and twos on the whole river, which is tough going!

Unless conditions change my recommendation would be fish early and late and take the sea trout gear for night fishing

Karl-K

Reaction score
I was there last week, very few fish about. Water was low but the river was still fishable. The sun didn’t help but water temperatures were fine. Only saw two salmon all week and where I was on the lower river they should have been all over. The odd fish was being caught but ones and twos on the whole river, which is tough going!

Unless conditions change my recommendation would be fish early and late and take the sea trout gear for night fishing

Yep same here, spent last week wishing I had taken the trout and sea trout rods, currently the fish just are not there, the eternal optimists will say it can change in one tide, hope for everyone’s sake it does.

John Keane

Reaction score
Our last day on Pitchroy today. I’ve had three so far, two in Black Boat above the bridge and one in the Battery. I also celebrated yesterday by taking a dip in the Battery on some big, slimy left-bank boulders. Great pool, horrible wading!

Ghillies, and other anglers we have seen, are bemoaning the lack of fish.

Nice sights of the week have been ospreys, grey wagtails, red squirrels and Roe deer in the field outside our B&B.

Champions League Final in the Aberlour Hotel tonight, Come on you Reds!

zebraness

Reaction score
Our last day on Pitchroy today. I’ve had three so far, two in Black Boat above the bridge and one in the Battery. I also celebrated yesterday by taking a dip in the Battery on some big, slimy left-bank boulders. Great pool, horrible wading!

Ghillies, and other anglers we have seen, are bemoaning the lack of fish.

Nice sights of the week have been ospreys, grey wagtails, red squirrels and Roe deer in the field outside our B&B.

Champions League Final in the Aberlour Hotel tonight, Come on you Reds!

And the opportunity of concluding a memorable day with a dram or 3 in the Mash Tun perhaps?
If carlsberg made saturdays..
z