Spey Lines

munro

Reaction score
Back about 12 years ago i started using shooting heads more and more, and my speylines were being ignored. In the past couple of seasons i have started to go back to spey lines of various head lengths etc, and i am enjoying casting and fishing more with spey lines than the shooting heads,
I can see the benefits in the heads and have a selection yet just in case of need ,if i cant use a spey line or head is more suitable. The big thing i noticed is how many people are actually making spey lines, I Dread to think what the situation will be in a year or two . Any thoughts on where line manufacture is going. Me i am searching the net and buying to hide away in a dark dry cool place

Last edited:

bankwheel

Reaction score
I think its simply a case of supply and demand, more and more are using shooting heads now, so thats what manufacturers are making. I don't think that spey lines will disappear all together. I have a couple of brand new Carrons and a Rio spey line that have never been used and probably never will as I just can't see past the convenience of heads. However if spey lines come back into fashion then companies will make them again. There are some really good long shootings heads available now as well

munro

Reaction score
Same thought as in spey line manufacturer currently have 9 , full float mid belly (60 plus ft) and multi tip for each double hander,(55ft to 50ft plus a spare multi tip and over winter getting more.To be honest there is app 12.heads all sizes types, and thats after clearing about half out, cant see buy a bargain if i have the cash

Last edited:

Perrypokemon

Reaction score
Lee Davison of Snake River Outfitters seems to do quite well selling his Vector Ballistic full Spey lines. I think they are absolutely fantastic to cast with, probably the best I've ever used. As regards shooting heads? The benefits are a plenty as you can stick a range of heads of varying sink rates in your fly vest and can cover pretty much any pool with a quick change of head. Doing this with a full Spey means changing spools on your reel and it is impractical. I don't think full Spey's will ever die but heads are very much in phase right now.

gaula

Reaction score
I use spey lines all the time with multi tips,

I currently have the hardy mach multi tip #9/10 (3 tips ) which i
use on my 14ft6in zephrus, and a Mackenzie #10/11, ( 4 tips) which
I use on my 15ft 6in walker.

I find them very handy,as you can just pop the wallet in your pocket
without the need to lug around an extra spool, and you are covered for all
water situations. plus, I enjoy casting a spey line.

fisshman26

Reaction score
Gaelforce has the new 73 and 83 full speylines that are outstanding that compliment well their 54 and 63 full lines

Speytime

Reaction score
I think ease of use plays a big part in shooting head popularity, 11/12 years ago i started out with a full 70ft spey line, at the time I'd never heard of a shooting head.

After joining the forum I gained a better understanding of diffrent types of lines/heads and bought a airflo tactical quick spey 50ft.
Right off i found it much easier to use than the jm line I'd learned to spey cast with.

I've also tried a airflo rage and a vision ace but I prefer to use the slightly longer head of the airflo quick spey which is also multi tip, a small pouch covers all.

Al

Perrypokemon

Reaction score
I use spey lines all the time with multi tips,

I currently have the hardy mach multi tip #9/10 (3 tips ) which i
use on my 14ft6in zephrus, and a Mackenzie #10/11, ( 4 tips) which
I use on my 15ft 6in walker.

I find them very handy,as you can just pop the wallet in your pocket
without the need to lug around an extra spool, and you are covered for all
water situations. plus, I enjoy casting a spey line.

Your final line says it all. We all fish for fun and not for food. If we were fishing for food many of us would be bl00dy starving. We should all fish what we enjoy fishing with :thumb:

munro

Reaction score
I think the Uk European makers and market for speylines will reduce, But i feel the USA market will hold as i am led to believe that in America they are keen on the spey lines. Japan is another but not looked to see if they produce,

Rainclouds

Reaction score
I prefer casting mid belly floating spey lines to anything else but in Ireland most fishing opportunities call for shorter heads with limited space for D loop. Fly lines are something of an obsession with me and I have a few Rio mid spey, short spey and integrated scandi lines which truth be told get very little use..

I now mostly fish with one reel set up for heads and not being a fan of thin running lines I use a 7 dt line with tapers cut off as running line. Airflo heads I find are as good as any being sold and reasonably priced. I carry Rage, Scandi short/long and Delta Spey which cover all bases for me.

Delta heads I find are a delight to fish but as with all Airflo heads I chop off the black clunky loop and replace with a Moser loop whiped with 8/0 thread smoothed and sealed with Aquasure. All the benefits of a standard spey line for me anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Knowing I’d be rich in practice opportunities and poor in fishing time this last season, I got a Gaelforce 11/12 63ft Spey line to give the 15ft B&Ws a work out.

The last time I’d used a Spey line was a #10 Mach 2 and the difference was night & day. While a large part of that was the fact I was loading the rods properly, I think the design of the line also had a big part to play.

Having got a 15ft #10 Zenith Sintrix off the forum and tried it with that rod too; I’m just as impressed. The line handles like the big shooting head that it is. Even I can get some really tight loops with a strong, compact underhand cast as well as getting results from the longer stroke I’d been used to with this length of line.

Adjusting to a Rage Compact on a 12’ rod for my 2.5 days Salmon fishing this year was a challenge!

Shooting heads are great and, for me offer more versatility. However, where I’ve got the room and need some distance, I’ll be trying a longer line again, I’ve got a 55ft Gaelforce for my #8 13,6” Walker ready to go.

I rarely need to go deep at distance and I’ve found that the longer lines are great fun to cast now I actually know how to load the rod.

I’m not the worlds gift to fishing or casting and all this is IMLE.

Rennie

Reaction score
Took the plunge several years ago towards Shooting Heads and very pleased with the results so far to my fishing!.
However recently been a little shall we say perturbed at the way lines are going with the shorter rods and switch rods etc.
The onus seems to be on very powerful lines that will cast and turn over big flee's and heavier tips(der!,that'll be the American Skagit influence then where the bigger market is!).I'd rather have a more presentation orientated line, that'll let me use my little double handers and switch rods to their I feel best strength!.An Airflo 40+ trout line and a Barrio ISS have been my new best friends through the past few seasons due to their delicacy of presentation.
I have been and am a regular user of both an 8 weight SSVT and 510 Rage,so maybe some of you may well understand my musings there!.
Bought a new Spey line this year in a Mackenzie G3 and its a peach, much better than the Mackenzie heads I use on the same rod, however the std. 15ft rod and line approach is one I hardly use at all now,I'd much more prefer an 11ft switch line or a 13ft wee double handed line!.
I recall the advantages of changing to my Guideline heads over my Rio Accelerators and Lee Wulff 80ft floaters and inty lines!,mindst you older gits like wot I is will remember the light years of performance offered by the Accelerators and Wulffs over the older DT lines?.
Times and things will allways change, sadly much of the innovation and revolution is aimed towards a different more powerful market than that of the rapidly shrinking one here in Blighty,we just have to be considered the poorer cousin and make do n mend with what's offered
Pedro..

Last edited:

salarchaser

Reaction score
Being cynical by nature, this appears to be all about marketing. It's why I stopped taking T&S. An awful lot of articles about individuals and product. I don't blame people making a living, but a lot written is more about money and less about helping people catch fish.

With my trout fishing, and increasingly with salmon as I gain more experience, it's about simplifying things not complicating things.
Fewer fly patterns, simpler set ups, less stress worrying about stuff, more time enjoying fishing.

I'm sure others take pleasure in the equipment and chasing perfection, which is fine, we all fish for various reasons (catching fish comes into most reasons though) and as long as we get pleasure from it, the purpose is satisfied.

Simplification is what I strive for.
Works for me anyway.

greenhut

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking of going down the Spey line option for next year for a bit more finesse and presentation in tricky conditions. All I’ve got are shooting heads (rages and Rio scandis). Could anyone recommend a decent line to go with my 13ft 8# uniqua

bassfly

Reaction score
I have a 2 hour casting lesson at the start of my season and for the last 3 years have been using a 70 ft Floating Spey line by Rio on my 15ft 10# rod. It makes it much easier for the instructor to see any faults and has improved my casting remarkable. I now use Spey lines on both my 14 and 15 ft rods when fishing larger rivers like the Dee, Tweed, Tay and Spey and have Floating, Intermediate and Multi Tip lines to use when the river dictates. I also have a Wet Cell 2 DT and a Floating DT I acquired with a B and W 15 FT 10/11# a few years ago and gives great presentation on the floater.
Plus points for Spey lines are easier line control and less need to strip line in when casting as with a Scandi or Skagit head.
As a footnote my favorite lines are Rio AFS Skadi heads as they are more multi purpose and can be matched to most river conditions using the versaleaders.

Isisalar

Reaction score
Learned my fly-fishing craft with double tapers and proper shooting heads, 10-15 yrd heads cut from double tapers using heavy nylon running line, usually flattened.
Can't help thinking that these newer heads are a way to stop us getting twice as much use out of a decent double taper line as a weight forward as was.

minitube

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking of going down the Spey line option for next year for a bit more finesse and presentation in tricky conditions. All I’ve got are shooting heads (rages and Rio scandis). Could anyone recommend a decent line to go with my 13ft 8# uniqua
Hi greenhut,

A Gaelforce 54 ft head Spey line would be a good choice.

Last edited:

Neil W

Reaction score
I started salmon fishing with double taper lines. I have no intention of ever returning to them. I have used short head and mid head Spey lines but my main line is the Rio AFS as it combines ease of casting with great presentation. So I won’t be binning my scandi lines just yet although I will be giving a modern mid Spey line ago next season to see how things have moved on.

bankwheel

Reaction score
I to started fishing with DT lines and these were perfect for the smaller spate waters I fished on, I then migrated to the new breed of Rio windcutters and accelerators which I hated but my casting as not as good then as it is now. I think the last few years of spey line design is as good as it gets, Carrons (a few years old now), Gaelforce, Mackenzie and Rio all produce excellent Spey lines but for me they lack the versatility of the shorter shooting heads.
I will also disagree with Rennie when he says that they are designed as heavy lines for turning over heavier flies, I think the opposite is the case, If you simply design a line with the same weight as an 8/9 speyline i.e. 34g but want to make it 30' instead of 55' then the line has to be thicker with not as nice presentation, thats why companies like Salmologic started to design shorter lines with a reduced weight in order to keep the delicate presentation required. A lot of companies are now following suit like Guideline, Loop and Rio who produce light weight heads with great turnover for good presentation, they are certainly not heading towards the skagit end of the market.
I think that choice is now better than ever before with endless options for you to put on your rod and long may it continue.

minitube

Reaction score
I started salmon fishing with double taper lines. I have no intention of ever returning to them. I have used short head and mid head Spey lines but my main line is the Rio AFS as it combines ease of casting with great presentation. So I won’t be binning my scandi lines just yet although I will be giving a modern mid Spey line ago next season to see how things have moved on.
Hi Neil W,

I started with Double Tapers too, now I sometimes wonder why the development or evoluton of Spey line tapers was so slow in occurring, painfully slow it seems looking back.

minitube

Reaction score
I to started fishing with DT lines and these were perfect for the smaller spate waters I fished on, I then migrated to the new breed of Rio windcutters and accelerators which I hated but my casting as not as good then as it is now. I think the last few years of spey line design is as good as it gets, Carrons (a few years old now), Gaelforce, Mackenzie and Rio all produce excellent Spey lines but for me they lack the versatility of the shorter shooting heads.
I will also disagree with Rennie when he says that they are designed as heavy lines for turning over heavier flies, I think the opposite is the case, If you simply design a line with the same weight as an 8/9 speyline i.e. 34g but want to make it 30' instead of 55' then the line has to be thicker with not as nice presentation, thats why companies like Salmologic started to design shorter lines with a reduced weight in order to keep the delicate presentation required. A lot of companies are now following suit like Guideline, Loop and Rio who produce light weight heads with great turnover for good presentation, they are certainly not heading towards the skagit end of the market.
I think that choice is now better than ever before with endless options for you to put on your rod and long may it continue.
Hi bankwheel,

I'm not big into weights and stuff myself, preferring feel of what's right with a rough number system. However there is, (I would consider anyway), a bit of erroneous thinking in your post about line type weight and lengths relationships.

Last edited:

bankwheel

Reaction score
Hi bankwheel,

I'm not big into weights and stuff myself, preferring feel of what's right with a rough number system. However there is, (I would consider anyway), a bit of erroneous thinking in your post about line type weight and lengths relationships.
Not sure why, it was only an example anyway, my point was really that shooting heads are very good now and offer great presentation at short lengths, also there are still some great Spey lines if thats what you prefer.
Cheers
BW

munro

Reaction score
Guys when i first moved to shooting heads i loved them thought this is the way forward used to cut and wiegh and make for lots of situations, cut a 10/11 down to fit 7 weight switch wouldn't fly good until i put a ridge backing on it, you could lift swing and pop with ease. I still understand and see the value of them, and although thinned out all bases and rods are covered down to sink 4 and multi tip. and if i feel i need to i will use as well. On my Association water i know where i can use spey or shooting head.
When elswhere travelled i have a large bag in car with selection of stuff so spey line and wallet of heads i have changed to Hardy Cassete reels, so reel on rod say has spey multi tip or float, or a s/ head and spare spool for other in back pocket of waistcoat in big neoprene pouch. not burdened down 1 box with mix of flies/tubes spare hooks couple spools nylon, forceps in nippers When i look and a floating head is out i think its just like a big long float. But i just thourghly enjoy the speylines, adjusting anchors to try and suit back space, sometimes bring more head in to allow smaller d loop. and i enjoy the control in mends and adjustment.
Now for casting spey and s/heads if you havn't get on to Roberts,(Minitube) site, and his u tube channel lots of good stuff.