Spey in February-any experience of this?

Spannulman

Reaction score
Hello, I will be staying in nethy Bridge area in Feb, the week after opening day And am hoping to do some fishing. Am prepared for the cold but I have little experience having only fished the nethy assoc and grantown aa water a couple of times each. That’s probably where I would start but haven’t yet looked at fish pal.

would A floating line still be ok, albeit with sink tips? I don’t know what I don’t know so any advice or any beat suggestions welcomed.
thank you.

Spannulman

Reaction score
Thanks for that. As I’m still learning this I didn’t think about how far up the river fish might be. I’m looking at fish pal now and they have lower beats Gordon castle and kinermony which might work out. Although I should probably be lucky to have water at the right level then.

i shall take my kit but not get too excited in case it comes to nought. that about says it for me aNd salmon fishing this far.

williegunn2

Reaction score
Gordon Castle probably too far down! Keep your powder dry plenty more fishing will appear on Fishpal before February. There will be plenty of vacancies.

scoops

Reaction score
Plenty beats on the Spey don’t use Fishpal for letting rods or advertising catches

keirstream

Reaction score
Hen's teeth in February but you could be lucky.:)
Watch for lets around Aberlour area down to Rothes for the best chance of a tug drug.

Spannulman

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. How about tactics? Would you fish any differently to warmer weather?

I use a floating line and thought with a sink tip and cone head or similar, heavy fly that would be ok. Or are sinking lines necessary?