Spey casting videos

offshore

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion - its a good one; but I believe he is based over in Ireland.

I agree with above sentiments, he seems like a chap who would be easy to get on with (without wishing to embarrass him).

Also I have decided to torment myself more recently with not being able to play golf, instead of not being able to cast - a shortage of fish but no shortage of golf balls fundamentally.

Nb. It is also possible to catch fish without being a great caster, which helps.

Last edited:

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. Lots of interesting stuff here.

D

Deleted member 21259

I think you are spot on with this comment - I have made the same mistake with golf.

You can learn the principles from a good video site/ instructor, but I can virtually guarantee you will be unable to copy the the 'motions' demonstrated - without somebody watching and guiding you.

The problem is, you are convinced you are doing it properly and waste loads of time making no progress - and getting frustrated.

That is my experience anyway.

Belonging to a casting club would be ideal, but I have none close to me. Lessons are obviously more expensive again.

I think a good tool to improve, is to ask somebody to video yourself casting - and be prepared for a shock; it wont look how you think. I have tried this with golf, and should really try it myself with casting.

If the fishing improves this season I will be motivated to try and cast better - which hasnt applied for the past 3 seasons.

Offshore, what problems are you having with your casting? If you wish to pm me I may be able to arrange solutions for you.

offshore

Reaction score
Offshore, what problems are you having with your casting? If you wish to pm me I may be able to arrange solutions for you.

Thanks for your kind offer PP, but not sure exactly where to start/how to answer that question - my whole effort is fairly shabby really.

I have got a bit disillusioned with salmon fishing in the past 3 or 4 years (rising prices to catch less and less), but it must have something, as I keep coming back to it - and don't want to give up! The upshot of that is that I have stopped practicing casting and fished far fewer days - a recipe for poor performance from the start.

How valuable do you think practicing on still water (as opposed to a running river) is ? I dont live within an hour or mores drive of running water, so often haven't dont bothered. I think I have convinced myself its a waste of time practicing on stillwater (pond), but could have been completely wrong about that ?

I am a chronic pusher (as opposed to a bottom hand puller ) and come acrooss the line with my top hand! I dont think I have ever done it properly - although the line often goes out adequately to catch a fish in streamy water. I need a slow motion clip (close up) of both hands working in conjunction in the forward stroke - but never found one on youtube. I think my hands see-saw.

Crikey I could go on - poor anchor placement, slack line, tempo; I wish I could provide a better answer to a straightforward question. Picked up a few good tips from watching the demonstrators at the BFFI last weekend, which has sparked my interest again.

D

Deleted member 21259

Thanks for your kind offer PP, but not sure exactly where to start/how to answer that question - my whole effort is fairly shabby really.

I have got a bit disillusioned with salmon fishing in the past 3 or 4 years (rising prices to catch less and less), but it must have something, as I keep coming back to it - and don't want to give up! The upshot of that is that I have stopped practicing casting and fished far fewer days - a recipe for poor performance from the start.

How valuable do you think practicing on still water (as opposed to a running river) is ? I dont live within an hour or mores drive of running water, so often haven't dont bothered. I think I have convinced myself its a waste of time practicing on stillwater (pond), but could have been completely wrong about that ?

I am a chronic pusher (as opposed to a bottom hand puller ) and come acrooss the line with my top hand! I dont think I have ever done it properly - although the line often goes out adequately to catch a fish in streamy water. I need a slow motion clip (close up) of both hands working in conjunction in the forward stroke - but never found one on youtube. I think my hands see-saw.

Crikey I could go on - poor anchor placement, slack line, tempo; I wish I could provide a better answer to a straightforward question. Picked up a few good tips from watching the demonstrators at the BFFI last weekend, which has sparked my interest again.

In an ideal world we would all practice on flowing water in the sunshine with birds tweeting and the coos a mooing. Sadly none of us, certainly not I live in an ideal world. The flowing water I teach and practice on is 60 miles from home. It's not always practical to get there. If not then practice on stillwater or on grass but practice on something rather than nothing. The faults you mention are all pretty standard and can be ironed out very easily. Whether you take tuition with me or indeed any other instructor if you do not practice then you are wasting my / their time and your own money. Improvement in anything in life takes commitment and effort and the rewards follow. I am on the River Lune this weekend and maybe next weekend. If you wanna come along for a brew and a bacon butty and a chuck around for an hour you will be welcome. No charge. Youll need waders and ypur usual rod and lines. If following this you want lessons then we can arrange something to suit. You can PM me for details.

offshore

Reaction score
In an ideal world we would all practice on flowing water in the sunshine with birds tweeting and the coos a mooing. Sadly none of us, certainly not I live in an ideal world. The flowing water I teach and practice on is 60 miles from home. It's not always practical to get there. If not then practice on stillwater or on grass but practice on something rather than nothing. The faults you mention are all pretty standard and can be ironed out very easily. Whether you take tuition with me or indeed any other instructor if you do not practice then you are wasting my / their time and your own money. Improvement in anything in life takes commitment and effort and the rewards follow. I am on the River Lune this weekend and maybe next weekend. If you wanna come along for a brew and a bacon butty and a chuck around for an hour you will be welcome. No charge. Youll need waders and ypur usual rod and lines. If following this you want lessons then we can arrange something to suit. You can PM me for details.

Thanks PP for the kind offer, but wont be able to get across that side of the country for a while; the bacon butty is very tempting!

You are correct, I should practice more - I have got lazy. The photos posted today by Minitube of fresh Irish springers reminded me of why I got interested in this hobby in the first place.