Spey casting videos

compagnito

Banned
Reaction score
I think there are some good ones. some of the American ones are really tedious with the long musical intro of what they perceive to be kool music, followed by a long rambling verbal intro, with zero action in some cases.

hello salar

Reaction score
casting video

It maybe worth having a look at the gwent angling society web site. It's not the best quality video, but it's by far the best in terms of explanation and demonstrated by someone who knows what he's doing.

Tim1984

Reaction score
Casting DVD

A really good on is from Rio “Modern Spey Casting” and it comes with 3 discs for around £38 it’s apparently very good.

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Last edited:

FloatinglineNelly

Reaction score
Granbo flyfishing, Jan Erik Granbo - YouTube

Jan Erik Granbo for me. His DVD My Favourite Cast is excellent - and dubbed in English is - top class. You'd learn a lot about salmon fishing - and flies - from his site. I wish I had the time, energy and natural rhythm needed to cast half as well as him.

Granbo Flyfishing - Flyfishing - Salmon fishing - Flycasting - Flytying - Fishing Course - Fishing School - Norway - Lecture - DVD - Gaula

He looks a wee bit 'angry' when casting....Like he's not enjoying it?
A lot of power for what is a relatively short cast...
Still enjoyable though.

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
He looks a wee bit 'angry' when casting....Like he's not enjoying it?
A lot of power for what is a relatively short cast...
Still enjoyable though.
I usualy look angry when casting aswel but thats because my castings sh!te

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Speytime

Reaction score
I have a 3 part rio spey casting dvd if you send me an address and I'll post you a copy foc.
Al
Eta i would take a donation if you tie your own flies, failing that enjoy it!

Last edited:

quareecaster

Reaction score
It maybe worth having a look at the gwent angling society web site. It's not the best quality video, but it's by far the best in terms of explanation and demonstrated by someone who knows what he's doing.[/QUOTE

Last edited:

castor

Reaction score
Our very own member - Minitube - has three short easy to digest videos...his site gives utube links:

<http://www.robertgillespie.net/page5/page33/page33.html>

I have to say that following his instruction has improved my casting no end.

Thanks Minitube.

wetwader

Reaction score
It’s very interesting, but hard to learn from videos, if not on a minimum basic level.
And the next mistake would be to consume as much short videos as possible and available. Everybody is different and everybody is casting different, with different movements, also the higher level casters, masters and teachers. I experienced that myself in an extreme way in scandinavian style casting with an overload of all I could get and see and learn.
Personalities and styles are different, like Göran Andersson and Henrik Mortensen, only to name them. Finished with one I nearly had to brake with it when beginning with the next one ... HM is very versatile and oriented in practical fishing and very good in teaching and discussing. There are some that don’t like to discuss with lower level casters... After all he is “still on earth”.
Better to invest in a complete workout/DVD collection and stick with it instead of short sequences of YouTube videos of different casters and styles. Not a problem if one is already able to see the differences and sort them out for himself. Otherwise it can be very confusing.
The DVD collection of HM is worth to consider and Speyborn Simon Gawesworth of course.
Erik Granbo is also very practical and fishing oriented. Like him I like the Snake a lot for many circumstances. Somebody mentioned, he is looking angry while casting. Did you hear his Bottom Hand shattering on his stomach each cast? Must be hurting after a while?But he lost a lot of weight. The stop seems to be lower now or at least less painful?

I am very impressed by Robert Gillespie, caster and personality and his site. He is one that leaves some honor to other people in mentioning them and their input. Very nice! It’s a pitty he is too far away to have some lessons from him.
Cheers
Roland

rs2ford

Reaction score
Our very own member - Minitube - has three short easy to digest videos...his site gives utube links:

<http://www.robertgillespie.net/page5/page33/page33.html>

I have to say that following his instruction has improved my casting no end.

Thanks Minitube.

Totally agree, the climbing curve clips are short and effective, well worth watching for a novice to Speycasting.
Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited:

wetwader

Reaction score
I also totally agree ! Very effective. The climbing curve is an absolute essential thing to cure or avoid bad technique from the beginning of a cast, to improve straight and precise anchor placement and rod load.
This, showed by Robert Gillespie, is a main point and a difference to most of others that can be seen on videos, going up and down with the rod, resulting in more or less crashed anchors and lost precision... although still working for a cast to demonstrate.
But when it comes to precision and the last potential of distance, it can be felt and seen, much nicer loops and less air/wind resistance and so on, as far as there is proper fit of rod, line and leader...

This difference to control the path of the rod tip is best explained by Robert Gillespie. No better out there ! It was also a great help for me in stumbling to one of the next levels. Still some levels to climb for me ...?
For me, I got the impression, he didn’t become god himself like some others, finishing with experiments and claiming an own style. He was open to all techniques and other casters, kept on with ambition in searching for the best, experimenting for perfection and has collected over all his years of practice, the best out of the different techniques, creating something that is unique in sum. Only my impression.
There should be a complete series or DVD’s of him for more instruction.
Cheers
Roland

offshore

Reaction score
The problem I found with trying to learn from videos is that you think you are copying them but you are not.
Casting lessons first and then try copying a video.
However the best video for a snake roll I have seen is this.
Learn the perfect speycast with Eoin Fairgrieve- Fishing TV - YouTube

I think you are spot on with this comment - I have made the same mistake with golf.

You can learn the principles from a good video site/ instructor, but I can virtually guarantee you will be unable to copy the the 'motions' demonstrated - without somebody watching and guiding you.

The problem is, you are convinced you are doing it properly and waste loads of time making no progress - and getting frustrated.

That is my experience anyway.

Belonging to a casting club would be ideal, but I have none close to me. Lessons are obviously more expensive again.

I think a good tool to improve, is to ask somebody to video yourself casting - and be prepared for a shock; it wont look how you think. I have tried this with golf, and should really try it myself with casting.

If the fishing improves this season I will be motivated to try and cast better - which hasnt applied for the past 3 seasons.

Last edited:

wetwader

Reaction score
Offshore, I don’t know your casting level, but as long as you are struggling and before you loose too much time, spending money on fishing places you can’t use satisfying, learning bad technique included: if you are not that far away like me, I would give Robert Gillespie a call and ask for further informations.
Cheers
Roland