Spey 2019

scoops

Reaction score
3 days Tulchan Beat B

Home from the 3 days on Tulchan Beat B, had a nice 3 days, each day was just waiting for the line to tighten, could have been done without the rise on Monday night as the river is starting to look cracking for the rest of the week, usual story

Monday beat gauge was 2 feet 2, started in Speenoch on left bank, then Rock pool right bank, up to Boat pool in the afternoon fished till about 7, in the afternoon heard a strange ping noise, the Boa wire on the wading boot had snapped, 10 minutes and the newer was on, wouldn't fancy doing it in February with Baltic hands mind you. Level down to about 1 foot 5,

Tuesday, water had came up during the night and was sitting at 1 foot 9, and a bright sunny day, would have been better if not risen but when do you ever get the perfect conditions, started in Boat pool again and no pings from the boots this morning or sightings of any fish, after lunch was up to George and Stoney pools these were also fishing realy well, packed in about 7-30, one the other rods had a good offer and a 10lber which was encouranging to hear, well done :thumb:

Wednesday water had dropped and was sitting at 1 foot 1, another bright sunny day, back to George and Stoney also got a chuck in Ghillies, after lunch it was across the river to fish Rock Pool from the right bank then down to Speenoch from same bank, started in here and got to the bottom of the stairs railings when got an offer, sat down for a few minutes and backed up a few steps, couple casts and was into a fish, had on for a couple minutes a few runs and holing in the current, then came up shaking its head and rolled on the surface, another ping and a few swears words later my chance was gone, wasn't a big fish about 7/8 lbs but would have been a welcome sight in the net, used a plastic Park Shrimp Tube with medium sink tip , fished down a couple times then ended day in the tail of Rock pool on the left bank n headed about 6ish

Was good 3 days to be out fishing, Roddy is a top ghillie and the other 2 rods were nice guys, hopefully they are catching some more before end of the week

Last edited:

mows

Reaction score
Nice report Scoops.
When we fished it on Saturday beat B looked good.
Speenoch far bank and boat pool were fishing great.
The quality of the trout rise at the tail of speenoch was superb.
Usual Story, should have been here a couple of days before.

Cheers

Alan

scoops

Reaction score
Nice report Scoops.
When we fished it on Saturday beat B looked good.
Speenoch far bank and boat pool were fishing great.
The quality of the trout rise at the tail of speenoch was superb.
Usual Story, should have been here a couple of days before.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan, Felt really fishy every day, the only fish I saw was the one I hooked must be keeping heads down, see Aberlour had some yesterday,
There was few good trout rises only seen small ones plucking the flies off the surface
Next time maybe
Cheers
Steve

keirstream

Reaction score
Tell you what, fishing Tulchan C for the 1st time last Tuesday, at 1ft 8in, Dunbar and Bog Stream are the 2 best spinning pools I've fished for many a long year. Just perfect for throwing out a devon and holding on.:thumb:
It must have been carnage back in the spinning day.:nod:

scoops

Reaction score
Thought The water colour looked ideal for a black n gold rapala on monday n Tuesday, high with a little tinge to it

keirstream

Reaction score
That would be the April run past then?:nod::nod::lol::lol:
My friend Colin fished yesterday on Beat C with not a sniff of a fish at 2ft 2in.
I joined him for a day's fishing today with another friend on a dropping water which was at 1ft 6in at close of play. Colin had the briefest of handshakes with a fish in Dunbar and that was that for the day.
Colin is back on C tomorrow, then the Moriston, then back to D Beat on Friday.
Surely he'll get a fish out of that lot????:thumb::thumb:

So, on the final few hours of his week's fishing and nothing to show for it so far.
He needs to pull one out of the hat in the afternoon.

John Keane

Reaction score
Just had a text from one of my mates that’s still up on C Beat, that a bloke, not in our party, but has a rod every year with us on D and C has had 2 fish out of Straan this morning with one being around 12lb.

keirstream

Reaction score
Just had a text from one of my mates that’s still up on C Beat, that a bloke, not in our party, but has a rod every year with us on D and C has had 2 fish out of Straan this morning with one being around 12lb.

Just heard that Colin has had an 8lbr from Woodend too.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

ArchieL

Reaction score
Just got round to writing this post as i have been busy , anyway myself and 2 friends fished the Brae Beats at the start of May for 3 days. We were staying in the Gordon Arms for 2 of the nights and then travelled back down the road on the Saturday. First day the river was in the pink and low but started rising in the afternoon but stayed clean for the first 1-2 hours then algae and weed started coming down so we called it a day at 16:00hrs . River had rose around 8". No Fish, never seen a fish and no pulls either.

Day 2 wind was terrible and blowing a hooly but the river had settled back down nice , few of the pools had shelter from the wind but only just. Anyway another day and no fish or pulls between us 3 rods and again not seeing a single salmon . We did learn that the ghillie from yesterdays beat got a fish as the beat was empty due to cancellations so he was fishing himself. Well done him.

Day 3 again upstream wind but there was spots where you were sheltered and were covering the water well . River perfect height and condition but again no fish hooked or seen. Left the beat at 16:00hrs as we had basically had enough.

Summary is we enjoyed being up in Speyside fishing wonderful stretches of water and being looked after by excellent Ghillies like Alec,Ian T, Dave. But i will be honest here and say the river does not have enough salmon running it to make salmon fishing enjoyable or have you believing at any point you will get that pull. You get back to the hotel and ask the others fishing and you find out between 9 of us fishing the beats that nobody had seen a fish or hooked anything. Totally demoralizing.

I recently wrote to a Scottish guide saying that certain beats that seem to be holding there own (Just catching enough) just now are beats like "Cargill and Islamouth" on the Tay and Pitlochry Dam on the Tummel and these beats are where fish gather in low water so the number of fish is higher than in beats where fish are just passing through and taking the odd breather. Fishing average priced beats IMO is becoming harder and harder to do as the fish are just not there in enough numbers to excite me and i am now at the point of drawing a line in the sand with flinging money at chasing fish which are not even there to be caught or if they are there you are talking about only an odd fish.

Between us 3 on fishing/hotel/food/drink/tips/shops/pub we spent over 2000 pound in 3 days . I think from now on i will be looking at brown trout breaks either in Ireland as i honestly think the salmon fishing is becoming severely overpriced for what is being sold to us.

Anyone feeling the same

scoops

Reaction score
The fish don’t seem to hold down there in spring, end May onwards they seem to start catching them now
Nice beats to fish but get pricey from now to end of season for the fish that’s caught these days

ArchieL

Reaction score
The fish don’t seem to hold down there in spring, end May onwards they seem to start catching them now
Nice beats to fish but get pricey from now to end of season for the fish that’s caught these days

Historically April and May in low water should produce good sport but IMHO there is extremely poor runs coming off each tide and full river yearly catch statistics prove this, no matter if the fish were running hard you would still be pecking away at them as runners if they were there in decent numbers. Anyway i read the Spey reports and they confirmed what i was seeing (Last 2 years Apr/May trips) with my own eyes and that was that there was no beats setting the heather on fire above us either and the runs are poor.

scoops

Reaction score
Historically April and May in low water should produce good sport but IMHO there is extremely poor runs coming off each tide and full river yearly catch statistics prove this, no matter if the fish were running hard you would still be pecking away at them as runners if they were there in decent numbers. Anyway i read the Spey reports and they confirmed what i was seeing (Last 2 years Apr/May trips) with my own eyes and that was that there was no beats setting the heather on fire above us either and the runs are poor.

Can’t argue with that, certainly need more fish running the river

kingfisher

Well known member
Reaction score
Granny aff on the Spey

Annual sorte on Tulchan C with a few chancers fae here in early April resulting in me getting a nice wee fish to get the pressure off for a while lol.

Attachments

• DCC344A4-6E0F-4E1B-AC30-3704D4BEACA9.jpeg
    DCC344A4-6E0F-4E1B-AC30-3704D4BEACA9.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 825
  • 4D96668D-4594-4E91-BFF0-686778F76169.png
    4D96668D-4594-4E91-BFF0-686778F76169.png
    891.4 KB · Views: 827
Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
Annual sorte on Tulchan C with a few chancers fae here in early April resulting in me getting a nice wee fish to get the pressure off for a while lol.

They must be ould chancers with box brownies judging by the amount of time it has taken to get the negatives developed.:lol::lol::lol:
Well done again Kenny, I guess you are just milking the moment.:thumb::thumb:

kingfisher

Well known member
Reaction score
They must be ould chancers with box brownies judging by the amount of time it has taken to get the negatives developed.:lol::lol::lol:
Well done again Kenny, I guess you are just milking the moment.:thumb::thumb:

Naw Tam, just didn’t want to use my digatile supper dupper mobilo and post the same day as it kinda looks desperate to get them on.

Idont catch much nowadays so yeh why not in case some missed it on the telly, daily mail etc.
lol

We have a week up the Spey in a fortnights time so hopefully get a pull to lower me down gently to zero again.

keirstream

Reaction score
Naw Tam, just didn’t want to use my digatile supper dupper mobilo and post the same day as it kinda looks desperate to get them on.

Idont catch much nowadays so yeh why not in case some missed it on the telly, daily mail etc.
lol

We have a week up the Spey in a fortnights time so hopefully get a pull to lower me down gently to zero again.

Looking good for your next visit Kenny. Big water just now a a good run going through I believe.
Anyway, keep the pressure on the man from the Wild West who will probably be fishing with size 18 upwings and wondering why he isn't getting any salmon.:lol::lol::lol:

ashley

Reaction score
Can’t argue with that, certainly need more fish running the river

Yes, but it seems that has been the case for the last 25 year....lol.... I honestly think that the Spey, in many places, is living off it's past reputation, I really do.

Method man

Reaction score
How’s the fishing at the moment?
Back on the Spey in a few weeks time for our August trip
Hearing a few bits & pieces but just wondered if there’s a few about?

It’ll be a great few days either way but it’s always good when the fish decide to participate :cool:

westie4566

Reaction score
All good here thanks Eric!

Gordon Castle beats are doing rather well at present so hopefully there should be a puckle up the way for your trip.

Well done on your Allan fish - just seen your post:thumb: