Spey 2019

scoops

Reaction score
Today has been lovely here in the ‘Pool and it always does you the power of good to be setting off in decent weather.

I was at Aintree on Thursday and the weather was so appalling we spent the entire meeting watching on screens in one of the bars.

Do you ever get to the Craig Bar in Grantown? Gourmet pie, chips, peas and a jug of gravy for a tenner. Best pie by a mile is Blue Moo - Steak and Stilton. Unmissable treat!

Hope you had safe journey,

Only been up a couple times n just eat in hotel, sounds fine though ?
A few taken yesterday hopefully it doesn’t rise to much ??

John Keane

Reaction score
4:05am, got up for a pee and can’t get back to sleep! It’s 2’4” and steady at Grantown on FishPal, might not be getting into Hunters later today! Weather forecast is fair, no rain and light winds so it’ll probably be perfect on Thursday, when I’m driving home!

Last edited:

scoops

Reaction score
It’s the temperature tonight that worries me if still snow up the Cairngorms

Tight lines

John Keane

Reaction score
It’s the temperature tonight that worries me if still snow up the Cairngorms

Tight lines

BBC forecast says 3C tonight but colder on Tues and Weds.

Still, it is what it is and that’s salmon fishing for us visiting fisher-folk. Going to make the best of it.

D

Deleted member 21259

BBC forecast says 3C tonight but colder on Tues and Weds.

Still, it is what it is and that’s salmon fishing for us visiting fisher-folk. Going to make the best of it.

Good luck Buster. I hope that you smash 'em :thumb:

mows

Reaction score
Saturday

Where the fishing hut used to be before the landslide went through the building. The temp accommodation is still better than most fishing huts. 20190407_141550.jpgHad a most enjoyable day on the Spey on Saturday with a few dodgy characters.
Some previous and some current members on here.
Water was quite high due to the Kingfisher effect, but clear and very fishy, though the pool options were limited.
Roddy the ghillie was excellent.
Just a wee brownie for me, but 3 fish caught and 3 lost!
The morning started drab, misty and a cold wind, but started to improve by 12.00.
At 3pm there was a stunning rise of brownies to small upwinged flies in my pool.
Probably from 1lb to 3lb.
I regretted not having the trout rod with me.
20190407_140633.jpgDSCF1330.JPGDSCF1331.JPGDSCF1332.JPGDSCF1336.JPGDSCF1339.JPGDSCF1344.JPGDSCF1346.JPGDSCF1347.JPG

mows

Reaction score
You noticed the background then. Thought I was being subtle. There's some level of detail considering it's a cheap mobile.

John Keane

Reaction score
Wood Pool, too high to get in, but falling.

Attachments

• BF51391A-5F09-4A1F-8FFA-68C6A0A359BE.jpeg
    BF51391A-5F09-4A1F-8FFA-68C6A0A359BE.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 275

tony rentokil

Reaction score
spey

He guys ,,,please,please stop posting these great pics,,,up there with Scoops.2 years ago I am really toying with getting another trip going,at this rate,:

John Keane

Reaction score
No fish today but it’s coming down nicely, 1’6” on the D Beat gauge at close of play. Should be good for tomorrow & Weds.

scoops

Reaction score
Beat B pools fished well yesterday and was waiting for a pull any minute but no joy, hopefully today ?
Took your advice on the pie as hotel don’t do food Monday n Tuesday, very good recommendation

John Keane

Reaction score
No fish again today, went for an impromptu swim in Fanmore.

Beautiful day on the magnificent Cragganmore Pool.

Attachments

• 0725E70A-C8F0-49ED-AC06-25894486D221.jpeg
    0725E70A-C8F0-49ED-AC06-25894486D221.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 310

westie4566

Reaction score
Lovely beat. Up on Thursday for a few days. Any sign of fish?

On Saturday our nine rods across B and C hooked 6 fish and landed 3. Only a few fish seen but they were there and running hard.

I was one of the unlucky rods who lost his fish, however I did have 3 other offers.

Tight lines for your trip!:thumb:00

keirstream

Reaction score
On Saturday our nine rods across B and C hooked 6 fish and landed 3. Only a few fish seen but they were there and running hard.

I was one of the unlucky rods who lost his fish, however I did have 3 other offers.

That would be the April run past then?:nod::nod::lol::lol:
My friend Colin fished yesterday on Beat C with not a sniff of a fish at 2ft 2in.
I joined him for a day's fishing today with another friend on a dropping water which was at 1ft 6in at close of play. Colin had the briefest of handshakes with a fish in Dunbar and that was that for the day. I fished Dunbar in the morning and Bog Stream afternoon, lovely pools running clear with only a blustery easterly causing any difficulty at times.
Any fish at all in those pools and you couldn't possibly go wrong, the fly fishes itself from top to bottom.
Pretty much empty by our experiences.
Colin is back on C tomorrow, then the Moriston, then back to D Beat on Friday.
Surely he'll get a fish out of that lot????:thumb::thumb:

SS1963

Reaction score
Oh well i'll give it a good bash! Lovely place to be even if there isn't a fish...but you never know...

John Keane

Reaction score
Cragganmore Stream and Cragganmore for me today and it should be around a foot, as it was 1’3” on the D Beat gauge last night, perfect height.

John Keane

Reaction score
That’s my 3 days done, no fish. Two of my mates lost a fish each in Lower Wood Pool. Not seen a fish showing in the 3 days.

Meal in Aberlour Hotel tonight then run for home tomorrow.

Seen: partridges, grey wagtails, sandpipers, little gulls, bullfinches and a buzzard on s dead rabbit that tried to fly off the road still clutching the rabbit and almost got splattered by my mate’s Jag.

Great 3 days but I’m thoroughly knackered!

tadpole

Reaction score
That’s my 3 days done, no fish. Two of my mates lost a fish each in Lower Wood Pool. Not seen a fish showing in the 3 days.

Seen: partridges, grey wagtails, sandpipers, little gulls, bullfinches and a buzzard on s dead rabbit that tried to fly off the road still clutching the rabbit and almost got splattered by my mate’s Jag.

Never mind mate,
wonder how many casts you done, keeps you fit this fishing.
safe drive home.

SS1963

Reaction score

Well I’ll still give it a good bash tomorrow! Bad luck on the lost fish especially this time of year
But, you enjoyed it...fair play
I’ll keep you posted ?