Spey 2019

John Keane

Reaction score
Due to the misfortune of a very nice gentleman, a place has become available for 3 days on Tulchan D in April with some friends of mine. I lost my place in the party due to serious illness in 2012 that put me out of the game for around 3 seasons and it wasn’t fair to get it back at someone else’s expense. So tying tube flies is going to be the order of the day for the next couple of months.

I’m also back on Pitchroy for a week in May hoping to either improve on last years tally of three or to get a double figure fish. These goals are by no means mutually exclusive!

Last edited:

ArchieL

Reaction score
Will be visiting the Brae Waters late April for 3 days . The place is absolutely stunning and a dream to fish with expert ghillies but if i am being honest unless we see fish and hook one or 2 then i do not think i will be heading back until things pick up. The costs mount up when you fling a hotel in and meals ,lunches,evening drinks and tips . As much as i love the break i am up there to catch salmon and i can fish my local rivers at this time. I do not mind if i do not catch a fish but at least see a few and as long as they are being caught above or below us. Last year i could not believe how few fish were about and our party had 1 sea trout for our 3 days and only seen 1 salmon splash. I really do hope this river picks up as the local hotels and shops will suffer with less anglers fishing the river. These parts of Scotland rely on the Anglers and tourists in the spring and summer months as there is not many tourists in winter time.

Ypres

Reaction score
Apart from rejoining my local angling association I have not pre booked any fishing for next year and don't plan to. Usually by now I would have booked a few days on at least the Spey and the North Esk and would be waiting eagerly for the Pitlochry Dam fishing coming up but not now. This year 2018 I stuck to my decision to buy no new salmon fishing gear other than consumables such as leaders, next year it is no pre booking and if 2019 is as poor as 2018 that is it. I will major on trout fishing and look at something new such as pike fishing.
Len

ArchieL

Reaction score
Apart from rejoining my local angling association I have not pre booked any fishing for next year and don't plan to. Usually by now I would have booked a few days on at least the Spey and the North Esk and would be waiting eagerly for the Pitlochry Dam fishing coming up but not now. This year 2018 I stuck to my decision to buy no new salmon fishing gear other than consumables such as leaders, next year it is no pre booking and if 2019 is as poor as 2018 that is it. I will major on trout fishing and look at something new such as pike fishing.
Len

Hi Ypres, i know exactly where you are coming from. I would love it for the UK rivers to have an absolute bumper of a year in 2019 similar to 2010 . With all the talk of trouble at sea i wonder if there is a chance of the weather and the predicted 2019 El Nino actually helping the salmon and their feeding ground food stocks. It just seems that the salmon are taking a beating wherever that may be. You see the Net fishermen saying that Mackerel has exploded in the North Atlantic so i wonder if the salmon can eventually benefit (Probably not and will be worse for them) from this warming Atlantic in some way. I will never sell my gear and i will always fish for them as long as they are still about even in low numbers but it is becoming harder to spend full days and trips focusing on them when they are not there in numbers which offer good sport.

Donsider

Reaction score
Hi Ypres, i know exactly where you are coming from. I would love it for the UK rivers to have an absolute bumper of a year in 2019 similar to 2010 . With all the talk of trouble at sea i wonder if there is a chance of the weather and the predicted 2019 El Nino actually helping the salmon and their feeding ground food stocks. It just seems that the salmon are taking a beating wherever that may be. You see the Net fishermen saying that Mackerel has exploded in the North Atlantic so i wonder if the salmon can eventually benefit (Probably not and will be worse for them) from this warming Atlantic in some way. I will never sell my gear and i will always fish for them as long as they are still about even in low numbers but it is becoming harder to spend full days and trips focusing on them when they are not there in numbers which offer good sport.

I have an opinion that salmon fishing will improve when we come out of the comon fishing policy.

christian roulleau

Reaction score
Just a short passage to Aberlour for fun.
With current levels the 12-year-old is not going to put
long time to get to Spey Bay

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Absolute beauty :cool: well done to it's captor :thumb:

_20190211_211333.JPG

John Keane

Reaction score
Now that the premature Spring weather has us in its thrall, thoughts turn to Tulchan in 2nd week of April. All the tubes are tied inc. a goodly few Monkeys and Willie Gunns. Time to start on the bigger doubles now.

Get outside today and clean down all my lines and floating heads. A fishing pal got me onto using those silicone dashboard wipes with an additional spray of Leeda Dry Fly Spray. Cleans and polishes them a treat.

Buy the 12 & 15lb Maxima Chameleon and relegate last year’s to the garage for sundry jobs and garden use.

I can’t effing wait! :thumb:

scoops

Reaction score
Now that the premature Spring weather has us in its thrall, thoughts turn to Tulchan in 2nd week of April. All the tubes are tied inc. a goodly few Monkeys and Willie Gunns. Time to start on the bigger doubles now.

Get outside today and clean down all my lines and floating heads. A fishing pal got me onto using those silicone dashboard wipes with an additional spray of Leeda Dry Fly Spray. Cleans and polishes them a treat.

Buy the 12 & 15lb Maxima Chameleon and relegate last year’s to the garage for sundry jobs and garden use.

I can’t effing wait! :thumb:

What beat you on John, im up the 8th for 3 days on B, looking forward to it

John Keane

Reaction score
What beat you on John, im up the 8th for 3 days on B, looking forward to it

I’m 3 days on D then my mates go onto C but there isn’t a rod for me for the 2nd half of the week.

Fanmore is my favourite pool on the beat, I absolutely love it, closely followed by Cragganmore Stream.

scoops

Reaction score
I’m 3 days on D then my mates go onto C but there isn’t a rod for me for the 2nd half of the week.

Fanmore is my favourite pool on the beat, I absolutely love it, closely followed by Cragganmore Stream.

Ive only fished A & B beats just a couple days each, some cracking fly water.
Enjoy your trip and Remember and let some past

John Keane

Reaction score
Ive only fished A & B beats just a couple days each, some cracking fly water.
Enjoy your trip and Remember and let some past

On B beat you get to share the mighty Speanoch pool with C beat don’t you?

scoops

Reaction score
On B beat you get to share the mighty Speanoch pool with C beat don’t you?

Yes bottom of the beat B, fished it a couple years ago not last year was only on for the day, seen a few fish in there then, should get a shot this year being there for the 3 days,

John Keane

Reaction score
The time is almost upon us, up to Tulchan on Sunday. Weather is doing us a few favours at the moment and I believe the river is up around 10” with the potential to rise in the next few days.

mows

Reaction score
The time is almost upon us, up to Tulchan on Sunday. Weather is doing us a few favours at the moment and I believe the river is up around 10” with the potential to rise in the next few days.

You can be sure it will rise this week!!!!!!